New Jersey HS Basketball Controversy

Velho

Can't find any info other than "refs changed the call". Any insight from out NJ folks?

Doesn’t seem to be any clock malfunction or late start. The trailing ref had a great look and signaled it counted (loved the sell).

21 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

What happened to cause that to be reversed?

I'm same as you. I did detail look at clock starting late but don't see any issue (and saw a post w/ overlaid clock that verified).

Only theories I see online are (silly) speculation that they wanted the one team to win because they're better (#2 vs #18), that "winning" team was involved in a fight last year so ref's didn't want drama/ physical risk, and/or "It's Jersey" - again online speculation that seems silly. That's why I'm curious.

Bottom line. The gym was loud. Maybe no one heard the buzzer real well.  It was originally called a basket. Refs huddled changed the call to no basket- ball touched after the buzzer. Video review strictly prohibited in NJSIAA sports.   Cue the lawyers and lawsuits and subsequent hearings to “make things right”

I read a local article on this today. The article’s not with reading because it’s basically a whining editorial about how this team was “cheated” and how they’ll be “scarred for life” wondering forever “what could have been “. Different world today. If this happened back in my playing days, the lesson would have been “suck it up. Sometimes things don’t go your way”. 

The buzzer would have been late if that’s why they changed the call. There’s other video where it’s pretty clear the ball was  tapped in well before the buzzer. Maybe one or two of the refs saw 0.00 on the clock and no buzzer prior to the tap in and that’s what they huddled about and changed the call. NJSIAA has been hiding under their desks so far. It sure looks like there was time left when the tap in happens. 

33 minutes ago, Richvee said:

It sure looks like there was time left when the tap in happens. 

Agreed. That's 99.999% proven - there was another tweet that ran the clock and it lines up with what we can see of the clock in main video. Additionally, the clock doesn't appear to start early (and certainly not early enough given the time left after the tip).

35 minutes ago, Richvee said:

NJSIAA has been hiding under their desks so far.

Ugh. Only fuels the conspiracy theories and SH*#ty opinion we see against all officials.

On 3/6/2024 at 7:39 PM, Richvee said:

Different world today. If this happened back in my playing days, the lesson would have been “suck it up. Sometimes things don’t go your way”. 

First, we didn’t have digital, high-def video back in your/our day, even on NBA games! 

I get it… video review on High School games just opens Pandora’s box 📦. However, are we not several decades into the (widespread) use of red-lights on/in/atop basketball backboards, for colleges and pros? Why aren’t they on High School facilities? 

Second, this was likely your toddler years: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Olympic_men's_basketball_final

16 hours ago, MadMax said:

Ha!  I was well above toddler age. I was 12. Yeah, it sucked. We got hosed. And I learned another life lesson. Life ain’t always fair. Like I said. Different world today. For many reasons. Technology and  making everything perfect… and fair…. and equal… even in sports , is in….. and sometimes  you get dealt a crappy hand and you need to make the best of a bad situation — or dealing with it and moving on ….is out. 

yep. I’m an old grumpy man. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

And you should see his grass....... just don't step on it!

Well, he’s half right. It’s immaculate. But you are allowed to walk on it  😁IMG_0608.jpeg.de95248a5ccb1285b96bcedae07de1a5.jpeg 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, MadMax said:

are we not several decades into the (widespread) use of red-lights on/in/atop basketball backboards, for colleges and pros? Why aren’t they on High School facilities? 

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

"Money"

What do I win?

And the lawsuit was filed . . . And smacked down.  And appealed.  And smacked down.  And a protest/appeal was filed with the state Department of Education.  And smacked down.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/nj-buzzer-beating-semifinal-ruling/5207650/?amp=1

It’s a game.  It sucks.  But it’s a game.

One comment on the situation and then on to a possibly productive conversation.

If you are willing to take this crap to court and waste taxpayer money over a game, then you had damned well be willing to voluntarily give up your victory if you are ever on the other side of a situation like this.  So ask yourself, local Board of Education and Superintendent, are you going to do what you say others should?  

OK, productive:

As an official, what are you doing?  You have the correct call and your partner comes in with something different?  How does this play out on your court or field?

11 hours ago, kylehutson said:

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!

"Money"

What do I win?

Ehhh …

Come look at my school’s gym and sports programs.  Then come look at my classroom and materials.  Hell, do that in most schools.

Granted, I know some funds can only be spent certain ways.  What I am saying is that if the sports balls teams (well, certain ones anyway) want it, the school finds a way.  As a teacher, I am told to go beg on Donors’ Choose or find a grant.  

I just received a $800 grant to buy Frankenstein books because the school wouldn’t buy them.

9 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

If you are willing to take this crap to court and waste taxpayer money over a game, then you had damned well be willing to voluntarily give up your victory if you are ever on the other side of a situation like this.  So ask yourself, local Board of Education and Superintendent, are you going to do what you say others should

I just wanted to add this. Today the Manasquan kids went above and beyond showing  class and sportsmanship regardless of what the adults tried to accomplish in courts or otherwise. 
Camden won the finals today. The Manasquan kids were in attendance. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

As an official, what are you doing?  You have the correct call and your partner comes in with something different?  How does this play out on your court or field?

This has been my question from the beginning. Can someone who works basketball explain what the standard basketball mechanics should look and sound like and did that happen here? Does the referee closest to the shooter line up the shooter's release with the clock like we would on a tag up to insure we can see everything? and so forth...Because what I am seeing here is the basketball equivalent of a whacker at the plate to decide a state semi-final, PU nailing the call...and then here comes U2 from the vicinity of 2B to just stomp all over the call and overrule the PU...

~Dawg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Because what I am seeing here is the basketball equivalent of a whacker at the plate to decide a state semi-final, PU nailing the call...and then here comes U2 from the vicinity of 2B to just stomp all over the call and overrule the PU.

That’s the optics on every video and everything I’ve read.

It seems to be “a thing” here in NJ. A few years back in a baseball state game, u1 made a wacker call at first…. No pulled foot, no swipe tags…. Just a banger. Consulted with  the crew and changed his call. 

3 minutes ago, Richvee said:

That’s the optics on every video and everything I’ve read.

It seems to be “a thing” here in NJ. A few years back in a baseball state game, u1 made a wacker call at first…. No pulled foot, no swipe tags…. Just a banger. Consulted with  the crew and changed his call. 

It's everywhere, "appeasement"

I am hard pressed to think of it "appeasement" because I'm wondering who you think is being appeased.  I suppose it is the guy who cocked up the call, and I have worked with guys like that before.  They just SO NEED to be a part of the call that is not theirs, or to show you they are better than you and MUST HELP you on this call . . . 

I am trying not to go down that path, as we don't know this guy.  It is a different situation, but it is like the umpire that rang the kid up on a called strike in the dirt.  Many people were quick to jump on him without knowing the story.  Once we heard the story, it didn't make it right, but it made it completely understandable.

To try to steer this back to a learning opportunity . . . how does that go in your "huddle?"  What is it you MUST HAVE from a partner to change what you called?  How do you shoot your partner down when they think you are wrong?

PS -- Kudos to the student body of that school!

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I am hard pressed to think of it "appeasement" because I'm wondering who you think is being appeased.  

This is appeasement if the coach asked him to get help. If the coach didn't ask I don't know WTF it is. "It seems to be “a thing” here in NJ. A few years back in a baseball state game, u1 made a wacker call at first…. No pulled foot, no swipe tags…. Just a banger. Consulted with  the crew and changed his call."

On 3/9/2024 at 9:35 AM, The Man in Blue said:

I just received a $800 grant to buy Frankenstein books because the school wouldn’t buy them

:sarcasm: Huh. A school board actually declined / refused to stock books? News to me. 

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

They just SO NEED to be a part of the call that is not theirs, or to show you they are better than you and MUST HELP you on this call . . . 

My call, my game, my field… “ 

This sort of possessive vernacular gets officials who use it into an inordinate amount of trouble. 

21 hours ago, Richvee said:

It seems to be “a thing” here in NJ.

Mafia? 
Ain’t Jimmy Hoffa buried under The Meadowlands? 

Was this not a 3-man crew?

• Like 1

"The filing blamed Camden's coach and on-site NJSIAA representative Derrick Sellers for "cajoling" the refs back onto the court where one "improperly overturned the referee who got the call correct."
https://nj1015.com/top-nj-education-official-rules-on-bad-call-by-ref-in-semifinal/

Fuller, continuous video is below.

Oh well. We'll likely never know.