Music and concerts

Richvee

@catsbackr and @concertman1971 

I saw the buy sell trade thread start to drift towards concerts. Fun topic. 
2024 is shaping up to be a big one for this hard rock fan. I think I’ve got tickets to six or seven shows already for this year. 
catsbacker- I did get to see ELP back in the day. Wish my parents would have let me go to the Garden back in the mid seventies to see Zeppelin. 

Saw some decent shows in 23.  
Winery Dogs, Queensryche, Priest, Geoff Tate, Hollywood Vampires.. to name a few. Monsters of Rock must have been awesome’🤘

• Like 1

So I set a personal goal every year to see 100 bands live. 3 songs minimum to count, no "cover bands". The only way to do it is to attend at least 1 festival. 2018 I saw 103 bands. The highest attended show was the festival, Riot Fest in Chicago +/- 80K. The lowest attended show was one. Me. As in i was the only person at the show not in a band that night, Slidebar, Fullerton, CA (I lived across the street and went often).

Top Shows ever (in no order) of bands most on this sub have heard of

U2- Achtung baby  tour, Atlanta GA

U2- Joshua Tree Tour 2.0, rose Bowl

Pearl Jam- Fox Theater Atlanta, 94 (week before Cobain was killed and the show was broadcast worldwide)

Lollapalooza 91- RHCP (in their peak), PJ, Soundgarden, Rage, STP, Ice Cube, Ministry etc

Ozzy 91 w/Zach Wylde- oh ya, openers were Faith no more, Soundgarden, and Queensryche

Metallica- 95 (i think) Parking lot at Tower Records Sacramento

the Stones- 2022 in Nashville, like 10 rows back. WOW

top shows of bands most on this sub have never heard of

Turnstile

Inhaler (Bono son band)

The Bronx

Against Me!

Rise Against

Shows i was disappointed by

Pedro the Lion

Leon Bridges

Incubus

I could go on.................I keep a detailed log of dates, shows and my thoughts (well, the ones I remember)

• Like 1

@Richvee, so I've been taking a deep dive on ELP now for 2 months and it's like I'm re-discovering them. I was alive during their peak but, they were really before my time. My first real time memory of them was when they grabbed Cozy Powell. I remember seeing the world premiere video for "Touch And Go" in the summer of 1986 on MTV. I knew their hits with Palmer on the kit. "Lucky Man" and "From The Beginning" still dazzle me to this day. I took a deep dive on them then and just found their music outside of the hits...really...weird. I just read of Lake's autobiography also called "Lucky Man" and I am currently reading "A Time And A Place" by Laura Shenton which is ok. It's really just a collection of newspaper articles reviewing their albums and their concerts. It's a fun idea for a book actually. They have always had their detractors but, it's clear that as their tours continued to sell out, more and more critics came around to them. LOL...and then "Love Beach" happened! Not a terrible album but, man...that cover just utterly sunk them. Ahmet Ertegun, who was a fan beyond seeing them as a meal ticket, really screwed them in the end. They shined brightest live and we are fortunate that they recorded so much of their live performances.

So far, my concert calendar currently includes a local community theatre production of The Who's "Tommy" in a few weeks. It's not Broadway but, we have to support the classics in whatever forms they take...and then I'm going to catch Chicago w/Santana this summer. I have seen both bands before and I'm looking forward to this show as it will be the first concert I take my kids to.

Rich, where do you stand on the state of Queensryche currently? Obviously, any notion of the band reuniting with Geoff Tate has been declared legally dead at this point. I just couldn't stay with the band after Geoff Tate was quit/fired. Todd La Torre is a great singer in his own right...it's just hard to see him perform with what is left behind. I also can't really get into Tate as a solo artist, even though he is performing some 'Reich tunes with new musicians. Thoughts?

~Dawg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Richvee, so I've been taking a deep dive on ELP now for 2 months and it's like I'm re-discovering them. I was alive during their peak but, they were really before my time. My first real time memory of them was when they grabbed Cozy Powell. I remember seeing the world premiere video for "Touch And Go" in the summer of 1986 on MTV. I knew their hits with Palmer on the kit. "Lucky Man" and "From The Beginning" still dazzle me to this day. I took a deep dive on them then and just found their music outside of the hits...really...weird. I just read of Lake's autobiography also called "Lucky Man" and I am currently reading "A Time And A Place" by Laura Shenton which is ok. It's really just a collection of newspaper articles reviewing their albums and their concerts. It's a fun idea for a book actually. They have always had their detractors but, it's clear that as their tours continued to sell out, more and more critics came around to them. LOL...and then "Love Beach" happened! Not a terrible album but, man...that cover just utterly sunk them. Ahmet Ertegun, who was a fan beyond seeing them as a meal ticket, really screwed them in the end. They shined brightest live and we are fortunate that they recorded so much of their live performances.

So far, my concert calendar currently includes a local community theatre production of The Who's "Tommy" in a few weeks. It's not Broadway but, we have to support the classics in whatever forms they take...and then I'm going to catch Chicago w/Santana this summer. I have seen both bands before and I'm looking forward to this show as it will be the first concert I take my kids to.

Rich, where do you stand on the state of Queensryche currently? Obviously, any notion of the band reuniting with Geoff Tate has been declared legally dead at this point. I just couldn't stay with the band after Geoff Tate was quit/fired. Todd La Torre is a great singer in his own right...it's just hard to see him perform with what is left behind. I also can't really get into Tate as a solo artist, even though he is performing some 'Reich tunes with new musicians. Thoughts?

~Dawg

E LP lost me after Works. The first one, Tarkus, Trilogy, and of course Brain Salad Surgery are my go- to ELP albums.

Queensryche... where do I start? I discovered them very early. The record shop we frequented at the time in USA flea Market, New Brunswick, NJ was owned and operated by a guy named Johnny Zee....Later the founder of megaforce records. Anyway, he turned us on to Queensryche when the EP came out in "83 and I was hooked. My favorite band for many years. Until they started getting weird after Promised land, I drifted away. Then the legal stuff started which I have no interest in caring about. 

When Latorre joined in 2013, I gave the new album a listen. Thought it was good, but that's it. Never paid attention the the next one (Condition Human). 

Then in 2019 I went to see them. It was when the third record, The Verdict came out. I was blown away....Not only was the new stuff powerful, he can belt out the old Queensryche like nobody's business. I went back and revisited Condition Human and liked it more with each listen. Then the new one, Digital Noise alliance came out in "22. I think it's the best hard rock record of the last decade...hands down. So I have a new found respect for Queensryche, and they're probably my favorite band again. Each release with LaTorre seems to get better..IMO

Now...This is important... They are NOT the old Queensryche. No one will ever have the voice of a  young Geoff Tate.. No one will ever write songs and Lyrics like they did. No 2 guitarists will ever mesh like they did. However...The new QR is a great band in their own right, I don't want to compare. There's literally only 2 guys from the original band. I love both versions. And I'm just glad they're still around making some great rock music.  

Tate? What can I say? I've seen him and his band twice. He's still a great singer. Though he knocks everything done a few octives so he can sing the songs. In 2020 before the shutdown, I saw him and he did Rage for Order and Empire in its entirety. It was a great show. This past September I saw him do "The big rock hits tour". It was OK. Way too much stuff from after Promised land. ( not exactly what I call hits)...And Tate has this aura about him that just screams he thinks he's "too cool for the room" 

Bottom line...Classic QR will never be matched. The new QR is an outstanding hard rock band and if you're into such music, I highly recommend the 4 LaTorre records, especially Digital Noise Alliance. 

"24 line up so far

Extreme and Living Color (never was a huge Extreme fan but their new record is excellent). Lotus Land- A Rush Tribute band.. Randy Bachman of BTO in March, Ace Frehley and Angel. Judas Priest in April, Queensryche in May, Sammy Hagar "The best of All Worlds Tour" in July...Really looking froward to that one. And Iron Maiden in November. They'll be more. There's a ton of old rock bands coming around this spring summer... A lot will be last minute decisions as most are in small general admission venues. I refuse to pay huge money to see old rock bands in stadiums. Sat them all when they were in their prime. Don't need to see them 1000 feet away for $200 plus. 

Sorry for the long winded post. I can talk rock and roll all day. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

So I set a personal goal every year to see 100 bands live. 3 songs minimum to count, no "cover bands". The only way to do it is to attend at least 1 festival. 2018 I saw 103 bands. The highest attended show was the festival, Riot Fest in Chicago +/- 80K. The lowest attended show was one. Me. As in i was the only person at the show not in a band that night, Slidebar, Fullerton, CA (I lived across the street and went often).

Top Shows ever (in no order) of bands most on this sub have heard of

U2- Achtung baby  tour, Atlanta GA

U2- Joshua Tree Tour 2.0, rose Bowl

Pearl Jam- Fox Theater Atlanta, 94 (week before Cobain was killed and the show was broadcast worldwide)

Lollapalooza 91- RHCP (in their peak), PJ, Soundgarden, Rage, STP, Ice Cube, Ministry etc

Ozzy 91 w/Zach Wylde- oh ya, openers were Faith no more, Soundgarden, and Queensryche

Metallica- 95 (i think) Parking lot at Tower Records Sacramento

the Stones- 2022 in Nashville, like 10 rows back. WOW

top shows of bands most on this sub have never heard of

Turnstile

Inhaler (Bono son band)

The Bronx

Against Me!

Rise Against

Shows i was disappointed by

Pedro the Lion

Leon Bridges

Incubus

I could go on.................I keep a detailed log of dates, shows and my thoughts (well, the ones I remember)

Incubus - Rise Against   Not my taste, but  cool bands.  I lean to the heavier side of rock, (or lighter side of metal) and Prog rock. (Rush, Dream Theater, Savatage, Yes, ELP, Fates Warning etc) My concert days go back to the '70's. I can't even begin to add them up. Never kept logs. Especially after my ticket stub collection disappeared. Anyway...Some Highlights over the years...

Kiss at MSG front row '76, Rush many many times going back to '78, Priest and Maiden at The Palladium, NYC '81. Ozzie with Randy Rhodes and Def Leppard opening up. (High and Dry tour for Leppard also '81 I think)). Some great Dream Theater shows that ended up being live albums, and so many more. 

You got me beat with 100+ bands. I'm not much of a festival guy. I love the smaller venues these days. 

• Like 3

I've worked security for our arena in Omaha (CHI Center) and before that our Civic Arena for the past 19 years or so.  I've seen countless bands from all genres.

I work the stage/barricade...coaches/parents are no issues after dealing and removing guests over the years.

The top 2 questions I always get:
1.   Do you ever get to meet "xxxxxxxxx"?   No sorry, I show up go to the stage and work until the show's over and make sure everyone leaves...then we usually have to pickup the 500-1000 chairs on the floor on to racks.   Do you think "xxxxxxxxx" wants to hang out with some random security guys...although I have met a few entertainers over the years...but very rarely.
2.  What's your favorite show?   I explain that the shows are all good and the people that come to see Barry Manilow, Morgan Wallen, Kiss, etc...are all there because they're big fans...I typically only talk to people in the first row, or in the pit (depending upon the show layout...and all of those people are super excited to be there...I tell them the shows I hated...not from a music standpoint...but from fan behavior...Lil Wayne and Jimmy Buffet (RIP).

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BLarson said:

.Lil Wayne and Jimmy Buffet (RIP)

2 entertainers I never would think end up in the same sentence...Let alone linked by poor fan behavior. 

6 hours ago, Richvee said:

Let alone linked by poor fan behavior. 

Jimmy Buffet fans were notorious for just being drunkards at his shows. I read that his fans purchased so much booze at shows, that he was able to command 110% of ticket sales, and venues paid him, as they more than made up that 10% in booze!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never been fortunate enough to attend many concerts. I did see Kiss at the Cow Palace though.

Question for you guys. Did you ever see Ronnie James Dio in concert? I have seen a video of him on YouTube performing Rainbow in the Dark and I absolutely loved it. Anything you could say about him in concert would be appreciated because I regret to say that I basically didn't pay any attention to him when he was alive.

• Like 1

I'm all over the map...2022 saw Alanis (July) and Bryan Adams (November).  2024 I'm seeing Journey (with Toto), Pink and Bruce Springsteen.

My top concerts for me are Paul McCartney at Skydome (now Rogers Centre) in 1989, and then again in 2014 at Grizzly Stadium in Missoula, MT.   

And then G'N'R at The Gorge in Washington, 2017.   I'd watch almost any act at The Gorge - my favorite venue I've experienced.

Def Leppard x3, Poison, Tesla, Nightranger, Trooper, Gowan, Anvil, Anthrax, John Mellancamp, Elton John, The Who, Imagine Dragons, Little Big Town, Joan Jett, KISS, The Cult...and then Canadian acts you've probably never heard of (Colin James, Honeymoon Suite, Loverboy, April Wine, Kim Mitchell, Tragically Hip, Platinum Blonde, etc, etc)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

I have never been fortunate enough to attend many concerts. I did see Kiss at the Cow Palace though.

Question for you guys. Did you ever see Ronnie James Dio in concert? I have seen a video of him on YouTube performing Rainbow in the Dark and I absolutely loved it. Anything you could say about him in concert would be appreciated because I regret to say that I basically didn't pay any attention to him when he was alive.

I’ve seen Dio a number of times. 
Once with Rainbow, once with Sabbath, and a few times during the Dio years. 

He’s one of my favorite front men of all times. Such a powerful voice. The man could command the room. We lost him much too soon. ❤️

Such a great contributor to rock and roll over the years  

And of course, the originator of the universal sign for rock and roll. 
🤘🤘

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I'm all over the map...2022 saw Alanis (July) and Bryan Adams (November).  2024 I'm seeing Journey (with Toto), Pink and Bruce Springsteen.

My top concerts for me are Paul McCartney at Skydome (now Rogers Centre) in 1989, and then again in 2014 at Grizzly Stadium in Missoula, MT.   

And then G'N'R at The Gorge in Washington, 2017.   I'd watch almost any act at The Gorge - my favorite venue I've experienced.

Def Leppard x3, Poison, Tesla, Nightranger, Trooper, Gowan, Anvil, Anthrax, John Mellancamp, Elton John, The Who, Imagine Dragons, Little Big Town, Joan Jett, KISS, The Cult...and then Canadian acts you've probably never heard of (Colin James, Honeymoon Suite, Loverboy, April Wine, Kim Mitchell, Tragically Hip, Platinum Blonde, etc, etc)

Nice list.  I’ve seen many of them. Saw Leppard and Poison, Joan Jett, Kiss, back in the day in their prime. I have no desire to see any of them in big stadiums from 1000 feet away watching a big movie screen  

Trooper was actually the first band I ever saw live. Opened for Foghat and Bachman Turner Overdrive around ‘75. 
Never saw the Who. 😞

Anvil/ Anthax —That’s some heavy duty  thrash fight there. Saw Elton in Central Park. That was memorable. 
April Wine- underrated band.  Loverboy is actually touring and I’ll be seeing them opening for Sammy Hagar this summer. 
Next week is Extreme  with Living Color opening. 

• Like 2

I have very little to add (Front few rows for The Squeeze, George Michael, & Alabama, and Nirvana NYE 1993 was good (though Butthole Surfer's strobe like gave me a migraine) is about all I've got.

The Foghat mention made me think of an excellent YoTube channel in case it's of interest (he just covered them and the funny Scrabble connection)

https://www.youtube.com/@ProfessorofRock

11 hours ago, Richvee said:

Nice list.  I’ve seen many of them. Saw Leppard and Poison, Joan Jett, Kiss, back in the day in their prime. I have no desire to see any of them in big stadiums from 1000 feet away watching a big movie screen  

Trooper was actually the first band I ever saw live. Opened for Foghat and Bachman Turner Overdrive around ‘75. 
Never saw the Who. 😞

Anvil/ Anthax —That’s some heavy duty  thrash fight there. Saw Elton in Central Park. That was memorable. 
April Wine- underrated band.  Loverboy is actually touring and I’ll be seeing them opening for Sammy Hagar this summer. 
Next week is Extreme  with Living Color opening. 

I love Trooper. Did not get the playtime they should have. Able to see April Wine in 1982. Tore the roof off of the place.

Saw Loverboy open for Journey in fall of 1981 and talk about an incredible show. Both at the height of their careers. IMO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Velho said:

Butthole Surfer's strobe like gave me a migraine) is about all I've got.

I’d recommend staying away from any Trans Siberian Orchestra shows. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Richvee said:

I’ve seen Dio a number of times. 
Once with Rainbow, once with Sabbath, and a few times during the Dio years. 

He’s one of my favorite front men of all times. Such a powerful voice. The man could command the room. We lost him much too soon. ❤️

Such a great contributor to rock and roll over the years  

And of course, the originator of the universal sign for rock and roll. 
🤘🤘

I tried to see Dio once.  I couldn't get in as I was the last in line.

• Haha 3

My son and I went to KISS in Indianapolis for the final tour. Great show. Saw them last in 1979. It was the best combination of a fireworks show and concert. Nothing better than a concert with your kids. We had/have tix for Springsteen in Philly 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boyinr said:

My son and I went to KISS in Indianapolis for the final tour. Great show. Saw them last in 1979. It was the best combination of a fireworks show and concert. Nothing better than a concert with your kids. We had/have tix for Springsteen in Philly 

Trans Siberian Orchestra is right there for stage/Lighting/Theatrics....And dare I say, a little better quality music. (Don't get me wrong...been a Kiss fan forever, but I know what they are). 

Concerts with the kids are great. Brought mine to many. I miss that with both grown and not living in the area. 

3 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Hey, east coast guys, ever hear of or see in concert John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band? How about Eddie and the Cruisers?  And one more who I think is based in New York--the Dana Fuchs Band?

I saw the Beaver Brown band in the Meadowlands back in the ‘70’s. They played with the Beach Boys, and I believe it was Pablo Cruz. Beaver Brown band were very much along the lines of Springsteen/ Southside Johnny, etc. Spent New Year’s Eve ‘79 at the Capitol theater in Passiac at a Southside aJonny show. Good times. 
I remember Eddie and the Cruisers. Dana Fuchs sounds familiar but I don’t think I ever heard them. 

• Like 1

At a local bar (not arena, or venue...a bar) in Omaha...many, many, many years ago (late 90's)...somehow we got Foghat to play there.   We mostly had local cover bands every weekend...once in a while a local original band would play.

One of my fellow bouncers got blindsided by a thrown beer bottle and was taken to the hospital.   Everyone went bananas at the end when they played Slow Ride.

My first concert was Kiss when I was 14...my mom drove me and my buddy and my 3 younger siblings 90 miles 1 way, went shopping/ate/waited for me and buddy while we were at the show...then drove us 90 miles back home.

Fast forward about 40 years later I was working security here in Omaha at a Kiss show and Gene Simmons (who is 70+ and just got done playing for 2+ hours) stopped backstage and berated me for holding my flashlight the wrong way!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BLarson said:

Simmons (who is 70+ and just got done playing for 2+ hours) stopped backstage and berated me for holding my flashlight the wrong way!!

Gene is a special kind of AH. I can tell you some stories about how he treated a friend on mine…. HUGE Kiss fan and one of the biggest collectors on the east coast Gene actually showed up at a rock convention my buddy was displaying at, with armed security and about 5 policemen and confiscated my friend’s collection. All the while standing in front of him, in his face waving his hand and repeating “bye bye Al, bye bye Al”. Pretty sickening individual.