We Did It! And It Was Beautiful.

834k3r

LL District Championships Pool Play. Outs and Inning don't matter. Three-man crew. I'm U3 with R1, so I'm in C. BR hits a line drive to the right center gap. I bust in to the working area as PU yells out to me that he's got 3B. U1 doesn't vocalize, but busts down to HP. F8 throws to F4, who throws home and U1 was there for the safe call.

First time I've ever had that rotation on a 3-man crew and it was beautiful. I was geeking out about it I had to tell myself the inning wasn't over yet.

• Like 6

3 man mechanics, when executed properly are amazing. The best is when everyone looks at 3rd, sees the plate guy there and then there is a play at home. Oh no! Who will be there to make the call? Bam! U1 busting it out.

Great job 🙂

• Like 1

Great job @834k3r! I love that feeling (we had a perfect rotation and perfect unwind in 4 man this year). Full on geek out.

57 minutes ago, Kevin_K said:

Did U1 leave his calling card on HP?

Not to hijack the thread but... what was that about? Based on the post it was taken with great offense by the team. Why would U1 do that and stir that pot?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Velho said:

Great job @834k3r! I love that feeling (we had a perfect rotation and perfect unwind in 4 man this year). Full on geek out.

Not to hijack the thread but... what was that about? Based on the post it was taken with great offense by the team. Why would U1 do that and stir that pot?

It used to be common but it can be and was taken the wrong way once which has most shying away from doing that any more. 

28 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

It used to be common but it can be and was taken the wrong way once which has most shying away from doing that any more. 

Thanks. Why was it done? A way of acknowledging the batter? Playing around with PU?

18 minutes ago, Velho said:

Thanks. Why was it done? A way of acknowledging the batter? Playing around with PU?

Why don’t we ( @Jimurray, et. al.) educate the group as to the situation – Event 0 – that caused the literal dust-up and social media outrage, to begin with… 

It was because U1 was much more hyped up and geeked out to leave the “calling card” – kicking dirt upon the plate, obscuring it and compelling the returning PU to clean it off – before observing the touch of the plate by Batter-Runner that parents and armchair baseball critics took offense to. Instead of a poorly-timed, innocuous in-joke, they interpreted it as a deliberate, near-malicious attempt to hinder and frustrate the Batter-Runner from touching the plate, and setting up the BR for a “gotcha!” appeal. 

It’s a silly tradition. Time it right, no-one cares. Time it wrong… “it’s not about you, Blue! The game’s not about you! No one came to see you, Blue!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Glad you got it @834k3r!

I finally had the chance to work a few games this weekend with 3-man and was itching as U1 to rotate to home … I got there a few times, but never got a call.  I’m jealous!

Didn't know about “the calling card” … but we were on turf anyway.  😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 834k3r said:

U1 doesn't vocalize, but busts down to HP. F8 throws to F4, who throws home and U1 was there for the safe call.

That is a great feeling when an umpire crew pulls off a rotation like that.  I'm assuming U1 did the right thing and did not rotate toward the plate until R1 committed to third.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 834k3r said:

LL District Championships Pool Play. Outs and Inning don't matter. Three-man crew. I'm U3 with R1, so I'm in C. BR hits a line drive to the right center gap. I bust in to the working area as PU yells out to me that he's got 3B. U1 doesn't vocalize, but busts down to HP. F8 throws to F4, who throws home and U1 was there for the safe call.

First time I've ever had that rotation on a 3-man crew and it was beautiful. I was geeking out about it I had to tell myself the inning wasn't over yet.

Getting to be the U1 in this, for a meaningful call (i.e., a close play, not a home run trot), is my bucket list call. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MadMax said:

It was because U1 was much more hyped up and geeked out to leave the “calling card” – kicking dirt upon the plate, obscuring it and compelling the returning PU to clean it off

This is such an amateurish move.  Just what the plate guy needs,  😞  I had a new member of my crew do that.  I read him the riot act in our postgame.  

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 8:48 PM, stevis said:

Getting to be the U1 in this, for a meaningful call (i.e., a close play, not a home run trot), is my bucket list call. 

Was at U1 yesterday the VA LL Intermediate States...kid was going for a triple and I'm rotating, while in my mind thinking "sendhimsendhimSENDHIM."  It was not to be.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, stevis said:

Was at U1 yesterday the VA LL Intermediate States...kid was going for a triple and I'm rotating, while in my mind thinking "sendhimsendhimSENDHIM."  It was not to be.

I want to simultaneously laugh and cry at this.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, stevis said:

If the ACs in the coaches' boxes can signal safe (wonder why they never give us a sell "OUT!"), I think you would have been within your rights to wave the kid around.  Though people may have wondered why you were at home plate doing this:

third-base.gif

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

If the ACs in the coaches' boxes can signal safe (wonder why they never give us a sell "OUT!"), I think you would have been within your rights to wave the kid around.  Though people may have wondered why you were at home plate doing this:

third-base.gif

Because the BR forgot to touch first and that's the shortest way around?

Because the BR forgot to touch first and that's the shortest way around?
Two things wrong with this GIF. One, he missed third. Two, no way the 3BC is that close to the bag or stationary. He needs to be another 20 feet down the line and running towards home.

Sent from my SM-F721U1 using Tapatalk