Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1208 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

All players on the field and in the dugouts are 18+? Fine.

Anybody on the field 17 down? I say no. Not because it's vulgar but, because it's inflammatory and could escalate things. First incident is not ejection-able, just a polite, civil chat, "Coach, let's not have that please..."

What do you have on this, brothers?

~Dawg

Posted
8 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Not because it's vulgar but, because it's inflammatory and could escalate things.

It is vulgar and that shouldn't be excused.

I'm with you. If I hear it and it's something that's not immediately ejectable. I'll tell them to knock it off. They can say "Lets go", but not "Let's F*#King go", real loud.

I'll tell the player, maybe the coach. After that if it happens again, it's dumping time.

I figure if whatever they say wasn't acceptable in a classroom, or hopefully at home, then it's not to be tolerated on the field, as well.

Posted

I saw it again today...

16U travel game and a guy dials 8. As he is trotting down the 1B line, he turns to his dugout on that side and starts clapping and shouting, "Let's effing go!" as loud as he could. I grab the coach and just quietly tell him, "Let's not have any more of that let's effing go, please..." And the coach said, "Ok, Blue..."

Bonus points for anyone who can explain the origin of dial 8...I don't know why I chose that expression. It just popped into my head for the first time in maybe 30 years...weird.

~Dawg

Posted

According to The Dickson Baseball Dictionary, the expression started back when traveling baseball players had to "dial 8" on a motel phone before making a long-distance call.

  • Like 2
Posted
17 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

All players on the field and in the dugouts are 18+? Fine.

Anybody on the field 17 down? I say no. Not because it's vulgar but, because it's inflammatory and could escalate things. First incident is not ejection-able, just a polite, civil chat, "Coach, let's not have that please..."

What do you have on this, brothers?

~Dawg

So lets have a honest discussion about this philosophy... Why is it inflammatory if a 17 year old says it but not if an 18 year old says it?

 

  • Like 1
Posted

It's not...we acknowledge it's escalatory when guys in the 60+ leagues do it.

I just feel an 18 year old that is on a baseball field with other 18+ year olds is by law an adult and has earned the privilege of uttering profanities in this regard. We're not in church.

And absent any rule modifications or direction from my assigners, league leadership and or association leadership that's how I am adjudicating that. If it does in fact escalate hostilities in the baseball game then, I will intervene at that time. I acknowledge it's not the right way. It's just my way. What's your way, @JSam21? That line must be drawn somewhere...where are you drawing it?

~Dawg

Posted
18 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

It's not...we acknowledge it's escalatory when guys in the 60+ leagues do it.

I just feel an 18 year old that is on a baseball field with other 18+ year olds is by law an adult and has earned the privilege of uttering profanities in this regard. We're not in church.

And absent any rule modifications or direction from my assigners, league leadership and or association leadership that's how I am adjudicating that. If it does in fact escalate hostilities in the baseball game then, I will intervene at that time. I acknowledge it's not the right way. It's just my way. What's your way, @JSam21? That line must be drawn somewhere...where are you drawing it?

~Dawg

Unless it is directed at me or the opponent and it doesn't go directly against a rule by the sanctioning body governing the game... We aren't the morality police. 

  • Like 4
Posted
17 minutes ago, JSam21 said:

Unless it is directed at me or the opponent and it doesn't go directly against a rule by the sanctioning body governing the game... We aren't the morality police. 

I have to agree.  In summer ball, I'm not touching it unless it's in the rules or I'm instructed to do so. I'm not going there needlessly.

Personally, I find the over-use of profanity by youths a bit ridiculous, but it's not my child to govern.  I am only there to call the game, not raise the young men. 

:2cents:

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm with @JSam21 for the most part.  If it isn't directed at me or the other side, it is the coach's problem.  I will agree at the youth level (no, I'm not putting an age cap on it though) it warrants a conversation with the coach.  Then again, if the coach isn't already on top of it, the conversation will be worthless.

If you need an age-level restriction ... A PG-13 movie can have one F-Bomb in it as long as it is not in reference to the act.  Then again, as a movie-nerd, I find the rating system to be a worthless joke.

tumblr_p6l6m9BQyU1w0mq4go2_r1_400.giftumblr_p6l6m9BQyU1w0mq4go3_r1_400.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Posted
2 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

If you need an age-level restriction ... A PG-13 movie can have one F-Bomb in it as long as it is not in reference to the act.  Then again, as a movie-nerd, I find the rating system to be a worthless joke.

It's not a bad baseline though...under the same system one "cocksucker" is in the "go directly to jail" category.

I'm fully in the "keep your moral sensibilities to yourself" camp...otherwise you start getting into stupid debates about "shut the front door" "mother trucker" and "let's go brandon".   Someone gonna tell me with a straight face that saying "W T F" or "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" or "What the Fuh?" are really "different"??
 

Posted

Real simple at my level.

 

That language is not tolerated at all in LL.. 

A kid does it he gets one warning and the rest of the bench gets the warning as well.

 

A coach does it . Boom gone.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Whatever direction you take it, please do not respond to "Let's effing go!" with "You are effing gone!"  😉

  • Haha 4
×
×
  • Create New...