Why make this an issue?

Richvee
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 404 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

:ranton:Why? Just why?  Why can’t they wear them on the belt?  You actually called the company to tell them to stop advertising their product can be attached to their belts? Are you kidding me?  Yet you say a sliding glove sticking out of the back pocket that gets grazed by a pitch is to be called a HBP which basically says a sliding glove in the back pocket is properly worn equipment. :question1::confused::rantoff:

Baseball Signal Chart.pdf

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm with you brother, why did NFHS choose to die on this particular hill?  

I had to tell a whole D1 baseball team the other night to remove it from their belts.   The coach was incredulous and couldn't believe it.   I said "not my rule coach, we got an email from the state this very day about these". 

I fully understand why players don't wear them on their wrists, they're hot and uncomfortable. The coach told everyone to put them in their back pockets, right next to their sliding mitt :fuel:.

I'd love to hear the rationale, but it seems that since the NFHS Governing Board decided back in 2010 that these can be worn on the wrist, that it's now etched in stone and we can't change it - even if it makes sense to do so.

:shrug: :shakehead:... apparently I can still be amazed, or perhaps perplexed is a better word here. :HS

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."  Ronald Reagan said these were the nine most terrifying words in the English language.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Michigan, ...it's legal to wear on the belt

At least common sense prevails somewhere. NJ actually sent the FED memo out to all umpires. 

• Like 1

In Kommiefornia, we just got that memo, too. Unfortunately, it took a dire turn of unprecedented consequences.

In case you haven't heard the news reports, here's what happened as reported by the Sacramento Daily Manifesto:

Little Billy Gifted Athlete, star shortstop of the Divine Providence of Entitled Private High School Academy in Rio Linda, was wearing his wrist coach attached to his belt. Told by the evil umpire (and probable Trump Supporter) that he couldn't wear it on his belt, and must wear it on his arm or put it away. This caused some irreparable harm to Billy's fragile psyche. Horrified and offended by the insensitive nature of the umpire's directive, Billy felt marginalized and unable to cope. A a result, Little Billy could not continue, and left the game to find refuge in the school's wide assortment of designated safe spaces. Billy's coach, the heralded "I played pro ball so I'm qualified to teach your kids baseball" Mitch Asshat, ended up losing the game that undoubtedly cost many of his players pro contracts and D1 scholarships. The team could not finish the season due to such duress, and now all the kids are destined for the streets of San Francisco and a life of crime and drug addiction. Rumor has it that Coach Asshat is now a leading candidate to become the next executive director of NFHS.

Fortunately, the story doesn't end here. Little Billy's parents, Dr and Mrs Ken and Karen Snowflake, sought justice from their long time and should have been termed out many years ago State Senator, the Honorable Worthless "Do Nothing" SackofSH*#. To assuage the injustices of the NFHS, Worthless sought legislation to make some dramatic changes to the HS sport system. Incredibly, even though the state government was so busy passing important legislation, like not solving homelessness, or crime, or inflation, or high gas prices, they were able to squeeze in very progressive and highly necessary new laws. Now, thanks to the hard work of some people that really understand what others need, all sports officials in Kommiefornia are required to take sensitivity training, proper pronoun training, equality in sports training, and how to coddle fragile egos in today's challenging youth sports training. But they didn't stop there, sports officials are seen as a patriarchal evil, and are now banned from working in the state. If you identify as a sports official, you still have to take all the required training, even though we don't use officials in HS sports anymore. As a result of that, Kommiefornia has now mandated that all HS sports shall end in ties, and if athletes don't want to compete, they still get their participation trophy at the end of each competition, and their favorite dish of ice cream, too. Thank goodness for solutions in search of problems! Soon, the ban on sports officials will be enacted on all youth sports in our state. See how progressive Kommiefornia is? We just solved the shortage of sports officials! How easy was that? Oh, and you still can't wear the wrist coach on your belt.

At least that's probably what will eventually happen here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, ChrisUrbz said:

NFHS is a JOKE... Not only the wrist bands but now they are regulating how you wear eye black. 

I love the NFHS. They have been on the forefront for many years to combat the shortage of sports officials. They organize coach outreach clinics in every state to educate coaches on behavior. They're really strict with on-field behavior and encourage ejections without the need for silly warnings. They mandate, mandate I tell you, proper coach behavior, and strictly penalize those offenders. They require coaches training, and continuing education, in the areas, of sportsmanship, decorum, and teach an understanding of the root problems in sports officials shortage endemic. They emphasize that the playing field is an extension of the classroom, and the on-field behavior should be above reproach. They emphasize that the athletes are still students, and if their poor behavior in the classroom was not to be tolerated, then their on-field behavior should meet the same standards. They teach all coaches to respect the decisions of the umpires, strictly forbid their players from negative comments and behavioral out bursts, as well as understand that there is a proper grievance policy. The NFHS makes sure that many behavior standards and regulations are strictly adhered to, or the consequences are severe.

Plus their strict qualifications to become a HS coach has made sure that most coaches have the necessary training to guide the players. I mean, it's never "I played pro ball so I'm qualified to coach your child. You're hired!"

And their organizational structure is second to none. You need an answer to something, or have an issue. They respond quickly and with genuine concern to address the issue. Try calling your local NFHS chapter and getting answers from someone who is not part of the good old boy network. You won't find those guys in the NFHS anywhere! They are so open and transparent, too!

Yes, they have done so much for HS sports and addressing the shortage of officials.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I'm with you brother, why did NFHS choose to die on this particular hill?  

I had to tell a whole D1 baseball team the other night to remove it from their belts.   The coach was incredulous and couldn't believe it.   I said "not my rule coach, we got an email from the state this very day about these". 

I fully understand why players don't wear them on their wrists, they're hot and uncomfortable. The coach told everyone to put them in their back pockets, right next to their sliding mitt :fuel:.

I'd love to hear the rationale, but it seems that since the NFHS Governing Board decided back in 2010 that these can be worn on the wrist, that it's now etched in stone and we can't change it - even if it makes sense to do so.

:shrug: :shakehead:... apparently I can still be amazed, or perhaps perplexed is a better word here. :HS

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."  Ronald Reagan said these were the nine most terrifying words in the English language.

You are not talking about NCAA D1, right? Why am I thinking the NCAA this year or last put out an interp that they could be worn on the belt and it would be a HBP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisUrbz said:

NFHS is a JOKE... Not only the wrist bands but now they are regulating how you wear eye black. 

That one really isn't an NFHS thing (at least not yet, not in baseball)....but many states have made it a state adoption. From what I gather, these include MI, NC, PA, NJ, NY, NV, but I'm sure there are others.

1 hour ago, ChrisUrbz said:

They are not regulating eye black. They are telling us to use existing sportsmanship rules if the use of eye black has images or verbiage that intimidates or taunts an opponent. I have not run across any such use. Do you have an example of a design that has been banned inappropriately?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

You are not talking about NCAA D1, right? Why am I thinking the NCAA this year or last put out an interp that they could be worn on the belt and it would be a HBP. 

No sir, High School D1 team. The whole team  had them on their belts.

33 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Correct. NCAA said cards on belts are fine...even for a pitcher.......You listening Elliot??? On the belt is OK....Or do you need to run some tests to find out that wearing them on the belt is not a safety issue. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Richvee said:

Correct. NCAA said cards on belts are fine...even for a pitcher.......You listening Elliot??? On the belt is OK....Or do you need to run some tests to find out that wearing them on the belt is not a safety issue. 

it's not a safety issue any more. It's an ego issue. Just as they won't revise calling a balk on a pitcher who goes to his mouth on the rubber, being the start of the pitching motion, when they do allow him to go to his hat. You don't even have to admit you were wrong. You just have to say your judgement has changed.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

it's not a safety issue any more. It's an ego issue. Just as they won't revise calling a balk on a pitcher who goes to his mouth on the rubber, being the start of the pitching motion, when they do allow him to go to his hat. You don't even have to admit you were wrong. You just have to say your judgement has changed.

Or just say we're aligning with the other rulesets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

Thanks @JonnyCat for the fun reads. So close to 100% believable, it's sad. 

What, I was being serious! :lol:

Glad I could provide some levity. Sometimes I just get so incensed at all the stupidity, that you just have to laugh.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

You don't even have to admit you were wrong. You just have to say your judgement has changed.

Oh come on, the language on the jewelry change was THE BEST:

“The game of baseball has evolved and players have demonstrated that wearing a bracelet or a necklace does not impede their ability to play or increase any risk to themselves or their opponents,” said Elliot Hopkins, NFHS director of sports and liaison to the Baseball Rules Committee.

How exactly did "they prove this" when they weren't supposed to be wearing it?  

What evolution happened in the game?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scrounge said:

That one really isn't an NFHS thing (at least not yet, not in baseball)....but many states have made it a state adoption. From what I gather, these include MI, NC, PA, NJ, NY, NV, but I'm sure there are others.

Jewelry is OK, but we don't want them wearing make up.  

Who knew baseball was turning into a Dire Straits song ... not condoning the outdated and offensive language in the song, but Yeah, buddy that's his own hair.

17 hours ago, Richvee said:

:ranton:Why? Just why?  Why can’t they wear them on the belt?  You actually called the company to tell them to stop advertising their product can be attached to their belts? Are you kidding me?  Yet you say a sliding glove sticking out of the back pocket that gets grazed by a pitch is to be called a HBP which basically says a sliding glove in the back pocket is properly worn equipment. :question1::confused::rantoff:

Baseball Signal Chart.pdf 101.94 kB · 19 downloads

To be frank, it's stupid. Very good point about the oven mitts.

Funny they called and complained about the product being advertised that way... well guess what? Not everyone plays under (questionable) FED rules. NCAA kids can buy and wear these on the belt all they want.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Richvee said:

Unless I missed something somehwere, not okay for the pitcher (on the belt) in NCAA. 9-2-h Note.

"Note: In order to facilitate receiving signals in an accurate and timely manner, a pitcher may wear a wristband with a signal card insert on his non-pitching wrist/ forearm. It must be black or a solid, dark color. If the insert is not covered with a flap, it should be on the inside of the wrist to reduce any distraction to the batter. There shall not be any attachment to the pitcher’s glove."