Samurai Gears Website/Mizuno Pro Plate Shoes

Majordave
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So, I am definitely in a new umpire shoe buying mood lately. My buddy Mike told me about the new(ish) Samurai Gears website and I took a look.  The site owner, So (that’s his first name) is very helpful, will answer any question and has very good English. (Way better than my Japanese). He worked extended spring training here in the US with a young local pro school graduate I work college games and high school games with here in KC area. Even sent me a photo of himself and Josh together

I bought the Mizuno Pro plate shoes. I placed my order on 12/21/17. They were shipped on 12/26/17 and they arrived on 12/29/17. I think that was pretty quickly so the shipping charge ($54) was pricy but it was worth it in my opinion.

The shoes are incredibly light.  Synthetic leather with a shiny finish so I don’t think they will need any Leather Lustering in year one. Well padded inside. Large metatarsal plate.  Grippy looking sole. AND.....the toe feels like it’s steel. I have the old NB 450’s made out of real leather with a steel toe so I know how steel toes are supposed to feel. I asked him by email and So confirmed that they are steel toes. The list price was $185 and So sent me a coupon code that saved me $27.75. Yep. $200+ for a pair of shoes. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I never cheat my feet. The weight, comfort, and the steel toes make it worth the price as far as I’m concerned. So also sent me a pair of new SSK brand “toe socks” to try. They are comfortable but feel really weird on my feet. Will take some getting used to I think. So told me in an email that MLB umpire Dan Bellino loves them.

Anyway, for me this site and its owner are a winner. I would love to try one of the Belgard and one of the Mizuno chest protectors one day. Maybe, if I win the lottery?

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

Edited by Majordave
Add 3 photos
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Majordave said:

Do tell. Review what you’ve purchased. 

I’ve bought the gold belt and now I’ve bought another pair of belgard pads and a mizuno undershirt. I have yet to receive the pads and the shirt but I love the belt. And he’s very easy to communicate with. He gets back quickly and he knows exactly what he’s talking about 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Majordave said:

So, I am definitely in a new umpire shoe buying mood lately. My buddy Mike told me about the new(ish) Samurai Gears website and I took a look.  The site owner, So (that’s his first name) is very helpful, will answer any question and has very good English. (Way better than my Japanese). He worked extended spring training here in the US with a young local pro school graduate I work college games and high school games with here in KC area. Even sent me a photo of himself and Josh together

I bought the Mizuno Pro plate shoes. I placed my order on 12/21/17. They were shipped on 12/26/17 and they arrived on 12/29/17. I think that was pretty quickly so the shipping charge ($54) was pricy but it was worth it in my opinion.

The shoes are incredibly light.  Synthetic leather with a shiny finish so I don’t think they will need any Leather Lustering in year one. Well padded inside. Large metatarsal plate.  Grippy looking sole. AND.....the toe feels like it’s steel. I have the old NB 450’s made out of real leather with a steel toe so I know how steel toes are supposed to feel. I asked him by email and So confirmed that they are steel toes. The list price was $185 and So sent me a coupon code that saved me $27.75. Yep. $200+ for a pair of shoes. But, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I never cheat my feet. The weight, comfort, and the steel toes make it worth the price as far as I’m concerned. So also sent me a pair of new SSK brand “toe socks” to try. They are comfortable but feel really weird on my feet. Will take some getting used to I think. So told me in an email that MLB unpire Dan Bellino loves them.

Anyway, for me this site and its owner are a winner. I would love to try one of the Belgrade and one of the Mizuno chest protectors one day. Maybe, if I win the lottery?

Good to know. I was going to pull the trigger on those to go with my patent-leather Mizuno base shoes. From the pic, they look like they're mids--is that the case?

• Like 1

The ones that Warren posted are actually the ones I have been looking for but apparently they are no longer available from anywhere.  The ones I bought are more traditional looking and wont cause you to have to answer too many questions.  I bought some low cut used Mizuno's from @Chris Hickman on the buy/sell/trade forum here.  They were real leather, pretty light and used two velcro straps instead of laces.  I liked them but they were too wide for me so I sold them to my buddy Mike I mentioned earlier. I think Chris Hickman bought the ones that look like what Warren posted in the Reviews forum. I had to answer a lot of questions whenever I wore the older Mizuno velcro low cuts because they look so different.  The did have a steel toe though.  That's why I am a Mizuno plate shoes fan.

Thanks for transferring/posting my review Warren.  I forgot about that reborn feature of the website.

7 minutes ago, Majordave said:

The ones that Warren posted are actually the ones I have been looking for but apparently they are no longer available from anywhere.  The ones I bought are more traditional looking and wont cause you to have to answer too many questions.  I bought some low cut used Mizuno's from @Chris Hickman on the buy/sell/trade forum here.  They were real leather, pretty light and used two velcro straps instead of laces.  I liked them but they were too wide for me so I sold them to my buddy Mike I mentioned earlier. I think Chris Hickman bought the ones that look like what Warren posted in the Reviews forum. I had to answer a lot of questions whenever I wore the older Mizuno velcro low cuts because they look so different.  The did have a steel toe though.  That's why I am a Mizuno plate shoes fan.

Thanks for transferring/posting my review Warren.  I forgot about that reborn feature of the website.

I know a good amount of minor league guys wear the old mizuno plate shoes. 

• 1 month later...

My Zigs were 12s due to my square feet, and I acquired a pair of Mizuno base shoes last year that were 11s, and still a bit large. Apprehensively, I ordered my Mizuno plate shoes in 10.5. They fit perfectly and were here in nine days.

Unlike Dave, I think I will use Leather Luster on these--I'm used to having very shiny kicks.

On 2/25/2018 at 8:53 PM, Fittske24 said:

How is the size? The the Mizuno brand his historically ran small. How is it compared to maybe say a Reebok size?

I ordered size 10.  I put an orthotic insert in them.  They feel like a true size 10 and my toes don't feel squeezed or cramped.  I wore a size 10 in Reebok and New Balance 460's.  I have size 10 New Balance 450's and they fit but the toe box narrows and I don't find them as comfortable with my orthotic insert.  The low cut velcro-strapped ones I had were also a size 10 but with the velcro I couldn't get them to tighten up enough due to the width and they had so much built in padding that I couldn't use my orthotic insert in them. 

Have not worn these in a game yet since I'm laid up from my heart surgery.  Will have to wait until June to try them out.

• 1 month later...

Okay I just spent quite a bit of my umpire allowance on this site. The site owner (So) was super quick to get back with me regarding my order. I splurged and ordered a black/tan set of Belgard mask pads, patent leather Mizuno power belt, the SSK ball bag, and the five towed socks (kinda interesting looking). If the stuff I get works out I may end up ordering the plate shoes as well. The shipping cost is no joke. It was $40! I just really like Mizuno gear and love my Mizuno mask. Can't wait to get this stuff in.

Wow, this guy is super responsive! I've been emailing him over some gear and I can say he's been the absolute best about being willing to do extra work to help me find see if gear will work for me before I blow any more cash. I'm glad I took the time to scroll through threads while I'm in town, thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got all my stuff except for the Belgard pads. I ordered the plate shoes and got them today. They are fantastic and I really like the look of them versus my New Balance. The five tower socks are kinda cool, worn them a couple of games now and I like them. The SSK ball bag has now replaced my old DryLo bag for sure. Put that with the sweet patent leather belt and it is pretty nice. I almost pulled the trigger and bought the SSK shin guards, they are lighter than the Force 3, according to the website. I went with the Force 3 to replace my platinums that are a little too heavy now. Anyone thinking about using this site I can’t recommend it enough. High quality stuff!!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks @Majordave for the review of the plate shoes. 

Finally broke down and bought a pair of 8 1/2 plate shoes. As I have wide feet, I did not go down a size. So has first class customer service.

Between the shoes and my bulky Samurai G3 shins, I feel impenetrable. Need to save for the shins that So sells. Living in the Canadian side of the Pacific Northwest, did not have to wait long  for the shipment. 

I think I am becoming a Mizuno junky. Both shoes, socks, shins, shorts, belts, indicator, back up lineup card holder, back up mask with tg have the roadrunner on it. (well that is what it looks like). 

Might have to do another order for some undershirts, but that is another day. 

• Like 1