Hong's Poly-Wools

slo8140
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2948 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Is it just me or do the pants seem to be different this year? I personally have not purchased any as I am still using some Ump-Attire PolyWools that I bought several years back when they closed them out (bought several pairs at a great price).

The new pants appear to have a slight pattern to the print and seem to be thinner. Just wondering if anyone knows about any changes that have taken place. Maybe a new manufacturer? Any insight would be appreciated because I will be in the market for new ones soon.

• Like 1

I have a pair of the new Honig's polywools. They are my first pair, so I can't compare them to older ones, but I can tell you they are thin. The only poly wools I can compare them to is a pair of the old smitty poly wools. I purchased those a few years back, and I can't stand the waist so I don't use them, but the material is by far heavier than the new Honig's. I think the color and fit is nice, but for sure they're thin. I use Cliff Keen plate pants and even they are a heavier material than these polys.

I have paris of Honig's Poly-Wools that I purchased in 2013 (Plate) and 2014 (Base). Love them both, and they have been my go to pants the last several seasons.

This off-season (February 2016) I purchased the NEW poly-wools. Upon arrival, I could tell/feel a SLIGHT difference. They are not as heavy. But in my opinion still a sturdy and durable pant. The new plate poly wools are slightly tighter starting around the knee and running to the bottom of the pant (that could have just been my tailor). But I still like them.

One more thing, I'm a 32" waist. The old poly wools only have 1 belt loop directly behind on the back of the pants. The new poly wools now have 3 belt loops on the back part of the pant. Minor change, but does position my ball bags a little differently. 

I just bought new pants this year, as my old ones were too large (good thing!). Well, I'm not a fan at all and was highly disappointed to pay the same price for a lesser quality product. The pants are much thinner than the old pants and much lighter as well. They don't hang the same way the old ones did and they just aren't the high-quality of Poly Wools we've been accustomed to. I get that they're nicer for the summer, but that's not my concern with them. I want a top quality pair of pants for a one or two big games each week, and I don't want to feel uncomfortable in them or unprofessional, which is sometimes how I feel in the new pants. I think they look the same to everyone else who is unaware, but I know and sometimes just feel out of place when wearing them because of it. I wish they had at least kept the old pants as an option; maybe I'm just being too harsh.

Looks like I have to purchase new base/plate pants real soon before the playoffs start. I noticed a friend had the nes pants and they seemed to the eye thinner and lighter both in weight and color. He didn't have  the old Honig's so he could not do a comparison but I could see the difference. Makes me wonder how easily they wrinkle and how well they hold acrease. I imagine I will have to get that tailors silicone crease as I don't want to launder creases in thin pants over and over.

As a buyers option what other company features the heavier weight like the original Honigs Poly wools?

I was told when I called the local honigs here in Raleigh, NC , the company that made last years polywools went out of business. The new ones are by a new manufactor. That is what the owner told me. I asked if he had any old stock, he said that everyone bought them up last year when they found out a change was coming. I am in the same boat. I have an older pair, still in good shape but I need to purchase a new set for plate and bases

I love the Cliff Keen plate pants. I don't see much about them on this site either way. I like the dark color, I like the fit (I love that come in 35) and they'

re durable. I bought a new pair last year, and have another I used for 2 years prior, (at least 70-75 games) and you cannot tell the old from the new. Wish the made a pure base pant and not just combo and plate.  

5 hours ago, Mr Ump said:

Looks like I have to purchase new base/plate pants real soon before the playoffs start. I noticed a friend had the nes pants and they seemed to the eye thinner and lighter both in weight and color. He didn't have  the old Honig's so he could not do a comparison but I could see the difference. Makes me wonder how easily they wrinkle and how well they hold acrease. I imagine I will have to get that tailors silicone crease as I don't want to launder creases in thin pants over and over.

As a buyers option what other company features the heavier weight like the original Honigs Poly wools?

I think nobody, I hope somebody comes with a PW's like the old Honig's with white pockets. I'm pretty sure it will be a best seller.

Hardwick, the long time maker of the polywool pants for Honig's, is still in business. Perhaps they're not in the business of making umpire pants any longer. 

Or, perhaps their prices were too steep for Honig's to try to market. 

http://hardwick.com/collections/pants/products/9500-2-som-c

I've got a couple pair of the white pocket pants from and old MiLB source. They did seem a little better constructed. 

I'm hoping that my current stock lasts until my retirement, in about 20 years. I'm sorry for the rest of you that will never know that great quality. 

The new Honigs pants are awful. I agree with JamesC. They don't hang well at all. They get caught up on my socks and look like I'm preparing for high water. No permanent crease. Too light weight.

The reports I've read are the GD P/W pants run very small and the Smitty P/W are less superior to the other two. If this is the case it's time for someone to come out with new pants. May I suggest umpires go to golf slacks??? 

I heard a rumor that Hudson51...the official supply company that Marvin Hudson is affiliated with is planning to make their own shirts and own pants that are supposed to be made by the same manufacturer as MLB. Don't know if it will actually happen or not.

38 minutes ago, slo8140 said:

I heard a rumor that Hudson51...the official supply company that Marvin Hudson is affiliated with is planning to make their own shirts and own pants that are supposed to be made by the same manufacturer as MLB. Don't know if it will actually happen or not.

I know for sure they are making there own shirts.  They had a model of it this year at the GHSA camps, but they weren't for sale yet.  I don't remember them mentioning anything about pants, but that would be great if so. 

I know I've posted this before, but add me to the list of people who hate the new polywools. Don't hang well, too lightweight, no permanent crease. The base pants are particularly awful. I know Honigs reads this site at times. I don't expect them to do anything because it's all about saving money on their end and charging the same amount of money to us. If people will quit buying them maybe they'll get the message. 

In the mean time I hope someone else comes out with some new pants. I always wondered what would happen if Honigs quit making the real polywools. I guess we found out. All they would have to do is take an old version to a new supplier and have them recreate the old pants. 

On 4/14/2016 at 9:38 AM, Mr Ump said:

Makes me wonder how easily they wrinkle and how well they hold acrease.

I posted about my terrible experience with a partner throwing me under the bus a couple of weeks ago. To answer your question, I came home from the game and threw my pants on the couch while I was telling my girlfriend about the game and how frustrated I was. Ten minutes later I grabbed the pants to hang them up and they were wrinkled all over. No pants should have wrinkled that quickly. 

My 16-year-old daughter is quite a seamstress, and has won many awards for her sewing. Maybe it's time I suggest an entrepreneurial idea for her.

Please do!! I'm still looking for pants. I ordered a pair of honig's ladies pants and they are around 4 sizes off, maybe more. The fabric is not a great quality nor would they be comfortable for 5 games. These things are a joke.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk