Cell Phones

LRZ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2751 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

4 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I have 2 kinds of (what I like to call) therapy.  Baseball, and the Harley.  Both mean that I am away from work (and the technology surrounding it), and doing something that I enjoy.

Let's not turn this into a don't-bring-your-motorcycle-onto-the-field thread.

• Like 1

Just now, ElkOil said:

It's a pet peeve of mine to see my partner doing burnouts in the B position.

Well, obviously burnouts are right out. But just to get a good angle on the play?

Okay, I will share my story of the only time I've ever had (and used) a cell phone on the field.

It was Game 3 of a Best-of-Five American Legion Playoff series.  The home team was leading the series 2-0.  At noon on the day of the game, I received a call from the state American Legion director who informed me that there was a protest during game 2 about an illegal bat.  The protest was dropped because the protesting team won the game, but that if they had lost he (the director) would have upheld the protest.  He called me to tell me that, "during this year's playoffs a bat cannot have any composite material at all.  It does not matter if the bat has a BESR or BBCOR stamp or sticker.  If a bat has composite material it is an illegal bat, and if properly appealed to the umpire, the batter should be called out."  He called me to make sure that I knew the rule, and to make sure that I knew it could be an issue in that night's game.  I said that I understood.

Fast forward to the game.  In the top of the third inning, the leadoff batter hit a single through the right side of the infield.  The home team head coach/manager came out to protest that the bat was illegal.  I looked closely at the bat and could not tell if it was made of composite materials.  Nothing on the bat stated that it was "composite".  I told the manager that there was nothing on the bat to indicate that it was made of composite material.  He said that if I did not rule it an illegal bat, he was going to protest the game.

When he said the word "protest" I signaled to my two partners to come it.  (FWIW, I was the crew chief.)  As I was standing there (a few feet out in front of home plate) by myself waiting for my partners to jog in, a brief moment of inspiration hit me.  When my partners (who were previously informed about my conversation with the state director during our pre-game meeting) arrived at where I was standing, I said, "he's saying that it is an illegal bat because it is composite and that he is protesting the game if I don't rule it illegal."  I asked my partners to look at it and they said they had no idea if it was composite or not.  So, I decided to put my moment of inspiration into action. 

I said, "I'm not losing the first f*****g protest of my career."  I then told my first base umpire to run to the locker room and get my cell phone.  When he came back, we used the phone to go on the internet to the bat manufacturer's website.  We looked up the specific bat model and sure enough in the description of this bat model it said, "made of the highest quality composite materials," or words to that affect.  I asked my partners if they agreed with me that it was composite bat.  They agreed.  I then banged out the runner and told my first base umpire to go and put the bat in our locker room.

The visiting head coach came out and was very mad.  I asked him, "you agree with me that a bat with composite materials is illegal, right."  He said that it was a stupid rule, but he agreed it was the rule.  I then said, "then look at this," as I handed him my phone.  He said, "this could be any website."  I said, "no, this is the manufacturer's website.  That is the only website I would go to because I can defend my decision to the state director by referencing the manufacturer's website."  At this point, the visiting head coach look defeated and just said, "this is ridiculous.  I only have two bats left."  I said, "I feel your pain, but there is nothing I can do.  I'm not losing a protest."

The game continued without further incident.  And that's the story of how I avoided a protest by using a cell phone on the field.

• Like 6

I think she's asking if you got the concussion in a game.

do you keep the phone in your front or rear pocket?  the reason I ask, is I had one in my front pocket throwing BP last year, lefty came up, I didn't swap the L screen, took a ball to the thigh, hit the phone, damaged the screen.  I could see that happening with a missed pitch.

On a game?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5th inning. Fouled back. Don't remember the batter swinging. Last thing I remember see. The mask on the ground and intense pain in ears jaw and massive headache.

• 2 weeks later...

How's this for an unprofessional move?...

I need to have my phone on me in case of emergencies. I also use it to tell the time. I'm slick enough to be able to take a quick peek without even taking it out of my pocket...

However in one of my games, I was discussing with one of the coaches that we were coming up on the time limit and he asked me what time it was exactly. So in a lack of judgment, I took my phone out to show him..

I forgot that this is the image on my phones lock screen:

image.jpeg

Luckily the coach was cool and told me he'd ask me what time it was every time I call one of his games. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I never carry mine, but have several times lately - all because of the need to communicate with someone about a partner not showing up situation.

Yesterday, partner no-showed a men's league semi-finals. We had an 11 am game and 2 pm if needed. So I'm trying to get in touch with assigner.

Check pocket every half inning, and about the 3rd, I see a text from the local 911 wanting to know if I still had an emergency. 

Apparently I butt dialed 911 twice, and they called back both times, then texted. Fortunately, they didn't come out to check on me, that would've been embarrassing.

Finished game solo with a 14-7 win by the team that was up 1-0 and they cruised into the finals, so it didn't have an effect on the game. But that's another reason not to carry it with you!

I carry one on the field due to being oncall for my full time job. Need to be available incase I am needed on off hours. It is kept on mute and in back pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, MRG9999 said:

I carry one on the field due to being oncall for my full time job. Need to be available incase I am needed on off hours. It is kept on mute and in back pocket.

Not to sound mean, but you would talk on your phone between innings? Possibly delay the game? I guess I don't understand a job that needs you right now, and can't wait until you get back to your car/locker room after the game.

I never carry my phone, because I give my time to the game and it is my 'relax time'. Whoever calls can leave a message and I will answer it after the game(s). I work in Public Safety, and yes, I usually have a message or 2 after the game.

I am in banking and support applications for debit cards and fraud. Usually it is quite but when I get a call I normally have 2 hour resolution time. Normally just inform my backup and continue game

On 2016-09-19 at 2:36 PM, udbrky said:

Apparently I butt dialed 911 twice, and they called back both times, then texted. Fortunately, they didn't come out to check on me, that would've been embarrassing.

How could you butt dial 911 twice ?