Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3948 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With my Honig's/Hardwick polywools, I have some I machine wash and hang dry, and ones that go to the dry cleaners. I've been doing this for around 5 years.

 

Over time, the washed ones are starting to show wear on the insides. The material is starting to fray a bit, and pocket material is "pilling".

 

Now, balancing the convenience of washing them, and seeing that on the outside there's really no difference, I'd consider washing them worth the dough. The dry cleaned pants look really sharp, and the washed ones look about 90% with a good iron job. Plus, nobody can tell but me.

 

Always remember that most of this is just a fashion show for other umpires. Players, coaches, fans, etc. don't notice, or couldn't care less if our shirts match, much less what pants we're wearing.

Edited by kylejt
Posted

I have Honig's poly-wools.  I take them out of the washing machine and hang them not on a hanger, but over a shower curtain rod.  The next morning, I press them and hang them on hangers. 

Posted

LOL!!!   Nahhh ..... but .....you DO pay more for Poly wools ...why? Because they look good.  They won't look good when they bunch on a slippery plastic hangar though! ;)

Posted

Sometimes I have my Poly Wools dry cleaned. Most often I was them on the gentle cycle in cold water. It you pull them out right away and hang them up with two "pants hangers" on the shower curtain they won't even need to be ironed. Once they have dried I put them on a "pants hanger" and back in the car. Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Posted

LOL!!!   Nahhh ..... but .....you DO pay more for Poly wools ...why? Because they look good.  They won't look good when they bunch on a slippery plastic hangar though! ;)

Drives me crazy and my umpire buddies will point those unwanted creases out to me an entire game. ha

  • Like 1
Posted

As for ironing I use a Rowenta iron.  It might cost a lot more then your average iron, but once you use it you will see why.  First time my brother used my iron he stated that he understood why the iron was priced the way it is.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

The Honig's PW slacks are 75/25 polyester/wool.  Although polyester is significantly cheaper than a 100% wool trouser, for those who think made in USA poly wools at Honig's regular prices are "overpriced" and "outrageous," take a look at a high quality 100% wool dress trouser made in the USA at a local (small, like Honig's) mens retailer.  Anything under $150 off the rack is tough to find.  Quality and economies of scale have a cost.

Edited by FranklinT
Posted

The Honig's PW slacks are 75/25 polyester/wool.  Although polyester is significantly cheaper than a 100% wool trouser, for those who think made in USA poly wools at Honig's regular prices are "overpriced" and "outrageous," take a look at a high quality 100% wool dress trouser made in the USA at a local (small, like Honig's) mens retailer.  Anything under $150 off the rack is tough to find.  Quality and economies of scale have a cost.

Anything made in USA is going to be more expensive than something outsource. Before I got upset when the people complained about the price of the Force3 chest protector. Not anymore, came to the conclusion that the ignorant will ignore.

Posted

Drives me crazy and my umpire buddies will point those unwanted creases out to me an entire game. ha

I used those thin black hangers that have that welting material on them. They work great, especially for pants Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Posted

Sweet! When?

Will they they turn green like the rest of their pants do?

Posted

As for ironing I use a Rowenta iron.  It might cost a lot more then your average iron, but once you use it you will see why.  First time my brother used my iron he stated that he understood why the iron was priced the way it is.

My iron is called the wife model. Is it far more expensive than the Rowenta in the long run unless you keep it until it dies.

  • Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

So I am looking at these: http://www.hudson51wear.com/Cliff-Keen-Plate-Combo-Pants-p/mpck-0115m68.htm

For both Heather (high school) and Charcoal for travel ball.

Does anybody have any experience/insight on these? To be honest I've been running the same pair of pants for a few years now and I need an update.

For that price might as well get the Polywools

 

Posted

So I am looking at these: http://www.hudson51wear.com/Cliff-Keen-Plate-Combo-Pants-p/mpck-0115m68.htm

For both Heather (high school) and Charcoal for travel ball.

Does anybody have any experience/insight on these? To be honest I've been running the same pair of pants for a few years now and I need an update.

First off, I agree with Jax that if it is a one or the other go with the Polywool's but if you want a solid pair of pants these are very good.

Points about them:

The pair I have, the charcoal color is closer to a Gerry Davis than Honigs.

Quality: I rate materials, construction, cut and durability slightly higher than GD.

Negative: Belt loops on mine make getting 1.75 thick belts through tough.

 

Posted

So I am looking at these: http://www.hudson51wear.com/Cliff-Keen-Plate-Combo-Pants-p/mpck-0115m68.htm

For both Heather (high school) and Charcoal for travel ball.

Does anybody have any experience/insight on these? To be honest I've been running the same pair of pants for a few years now and I need an update.

I like the Cliff Keen plate pants. I rotate 2 pair for the past 2 years and both are still in great shape. My favorite part about the plate pants are their availability in odd waist sizes. For me, 36's are usually too tight, and I swim in 38's.  I don't like pants with expander waistbands so these fit the bill. The Cliff Keen site has the odd number waist sizes..I love them. 

http://www.cliffkeen.com/officials/baseball-softball/pants-shorts/m45-umpire-plate-pants

 

×
×
  • Create New...