Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4096 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have a WIlson Gold TW CP that I love until recently. Last two tournments, 95 degrees or more with high humdity in nc. My CP padding has bled thru on my shirts. I use odoban after I use the CP as I spray it down good after removal. I have been using odoban for over a year with no issues until last two or three weeks when I used CP in two tournments. After my partner noticing my CP bleeding thru on my creme shirt last night, forgot my black shirt this morning and had to break out a brand new white shirt. I put a nike black SS pro combat shirt over the chest proctector and it still bled threw. I have took TW pads off and will attempt to wash them before next use. Anyone else seen this issue. Took two bad shots . foul balls straight off the bat this weekend, one hit edge of collarbone but caught enough padding to not cause major injury, but it did hurt like a SOB, another hit right below chest mid center, it left a nice red mark also. Attaching pics, need to figure out way to fix rust on buckles and rivots as well.

CP.jpg

Shirt2.jpg

CP2.jpg

Shirt1.jpg

shirt.jpg

CP3.jpg

Edited by dl1340
Posted

I've had the TW retrofit for two years.  I've never had that happen.   I NEVER spray anything on it.  I"m a big dude (6-4, 305) and I sweat A LOT!!!  But I've never had any issue with smell.  The key is to let it air dry after each use.  Let it COMPLETELY dry before putting it back in your bag.  I work with guys who use all kids of products (skinny guys who don't sweat), and their CPs smell like a garbage truck and an outhouse held hands and then ran a marathon.  

Seriously, don't use any products on your gear.  If you let it air out, you'll never have a problem.  I worked a plate today (92 + humidity), and my CP is out in the back of my truck drying.  I promise you that there will be ZERO moisture and ZERO smell on it when I put it away tonight.

Posted

I've never heard of odoban. I use fabreeze. No issues with mine.

Posted (edited)

@dl1340, most all commercially produced chemical products are required to have a MSDS (material safety data sheet). This sheet contains the chemical makeup and % of the chemicals in the product. I jsut googled the product and found the MSDS on the first search page.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CD4QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.detergentsolutions.info%2Fmsds%2Fccc-msds-odobanair.pdf&ei=voqiVfPaDJHWoAT4jqSQAQ&usg=AFQjCNEFxCMefniRq3UBQnqc0QxQAiu8Zw&sig2=INc7WmAWiRPHk7GlUW3s5Q

Look at the first page and see the ethyl alcohol as an ingredient, I think you sprayed enough on there that the solvent content in this product caused the dye to bleed out, and it absorbed into your shirt.

 

 

 

Edited by midtnump
  • Like 3
Posted

I just quick spray my gear with Lysol but try and allow it all to air dry as much as possible when I get it all home. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted

Lysol for me too...and never back in the bag until its dry.  No bleeding or staining here.

Posted

I guess I'm the weird one and never spray my stuff down.

 

Aren't you known to do alot of Solo games? :stir

  • Like 1
Posted

Stu's nickname at MSBL World Series is Stinky Stu. Just sayin' ......

Actually, Stu knows his SH*# doesn't stink so why should his sweat?

Hahahaha!  I kill myself. 

  • Like 1
Posted

Stu's nickname at MSBL World Series is Stinky Stu. Just sayin' ......

Actually, Stu knows his SH*# doesn't stink so why should his sweat?

Hahahaha!  I kill myself. 

Oh my sides.

Posted

To the OP...I would suggest you give your CP a nice bath to wash the remaining chemicals out of it.  You could hose it off, or remove the TW padding and put it in the washer on a gentle cycle (slow agitation and no spin).  And when it is done, like all others have said...let it hang to dry completely before reattaching the plates & harness.  To get the rust off your buckles, I used a steel brush bit for my dremel.  I just knocked off the rust (didn't take it down to shiny metal) then covered with nail polish.  The T-tabs on the buckles are never going to hold polish, but a little rub with a towel that has a splash of wd40 or even vegetable oil will keep it from rusting.

You have the top shelf CP setup in my opinion.  You can get it back to top condition with just a little TLC.

Posted

I have washed the TW padding and allstar harness. Got off all rust on rivots and repainted with black nail polish and a coat of clear on top of that. Time to put it back together and do a test run before big tournment next weekend. I am close to ordering an unequal as a backup rig but can't quite pull trigger on it. Keep seeing mixed reviews on it.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...