Sign in to follow this  
Ax3bL4d3

LL, When does a pitcher become a pitcher

Question

Situation is this: Little League rules, 9-10U District Tourney,  in between innings, the 3rd Baseman picks up the game ball at the edge of the mound and begins to toss the ball with the shortstop, and pitcher until the catcher is at the plate. Third baseman never toed the rubber and never warmed up with the catcher. Offensive team claims that since he picked up the ball, he is now the new pitcher. Tourney director never found specific mention in rule book, but umpire judgement was that since he didn't toe the rubber, he's not the new pitcher. Who's right and can you cite a specific rule? Thanks, Ax3

5 answers to this question

Situation is this: Little League rules, 9-10U District Tourney,  in between innings, the 3rd Baseman picks up the game ball at the edge of the mound and begins to toss the ball with the shortstop, and pitcher until the catcher is at the plate. Third baseman never toed the rubber and never warmed up with the catcher. Offensive team claims that since he picked up the ball, he is now the new pitcher. Tourney director never found specific mention in rule book, but umpire judgement was that since he didn't toe the rubber, he's not the new pitcher. Who's right and can you cite a specific rule? Thanks, Ax3

Umpire is partially right. The player would have to toe the rubber and throw a warm up pitch to the catcher. 3.08(a)(1)

Sometimes dangerous to do so, but taking 3.08(a) literally the text would seem to apply explicitly to substitutes, i.e., players not currently in the lineup:

"(a) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered to have entered the game when -
(1) if a pitcher, the substitute takes a position on the pitcher’s plate and throws one warm-up pitch to the catcher;" [my emphasis added]

Sometimes dangerous to do so, but taking 3.08(a) literally the text would seem to apply explicitly to substitutes, i.e., players not currently in the lineup:

"(a) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered to have entered the game when -
(1) if a pitcher, the substitute takes a position on the pitcher’s plate and throws one warm-up pitch to the catcher;" [my emphasis added]

​iirc, LL specifically enforces this rule.

In the OP the 3rd baseman seems like he is just the 1st fielder to p/u the ball and playing catch with 2 others including the pitcher of record who is on the mound (or immediate area). In this situation I have nothing as no one is meeting the criteria for becoming the new pitcher which is toeing the rubber and throwing to the catcher (or player in the area normally occupied by the catcher).

When I see a player pick up the ball who was not the past pitcher I typically ask them if they are pitching that inning. If the answer is no I tell them to drop the ball so that we do not have an issue to sort out if that player does something really stupid like toeing the rubber and throwing the ball towards the catcher.

• Like 1

​I just have to point out that if Ax3bl4d3 is your actual screen name, I bet you have one helluva password.................

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By David3
      If a pitcher's Windup position is very similar to a set position with runner/s on bases he has to announce this windup pitching to umpires under rule 5.07(a)(2) Comment. Is there a balk if he announces Windup and uses the set motion?
    • By HMax
      Fed rules.  RHP.  R1 and R2 with one out.  F3 is playing behind runner at 1st (F1).  F1 steps and throws to 1B.  Throw is not to F3, but is straight at the bag.  F3 does not catch the pick-off, but does is quickly into possession after ball hits wall close to 1B.  Is this a balk in the FED book?
    • By Thunderheads
      Ok ...
      I got this ad from Wilson on my Facebook feed today and for fun ...I posted the following:
      HYPOTHETICAL:
      Your first HS game starts with the pitcher walking to the mound with this new customized Wilson glove. What do you do....

NOW .... I did this primarily because although TECHNICALLY ILLEGAL ...the amount of gray isn't egregious and I thought, well maybe I see if something is said, as to not be a "Barney Fife" and be an OOO right out of the gate.
      Thoughts? 
    • By Mad Mike
      Do you agree with the umpire's call in this clip? I have no idea if the rule set they are using is FED, OBR, or something else though.

• By ElkOil
      The 2016 FED 1-4-2 has a change that pitchers can only wear a solid black or dark compression sleeve below the elbow, and this doesn't affect the uniform shirt sleeve.  How do we tell the difference between a compression sleeve, a compression shirt sleeve and a uniform sleeve?  I've seen lots of shirts that are difficult to differentiate.