Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4199 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So I had a JV game today and I like to use those game to try new plate mechanics. Normally I am on one knee and use the pointy method for calling strikes. Today I wanted to work on locking in and using the hammer call. I learned the hammer technique last summer during a clinic but hated it. I used it for a few games but went back to one knee. Well today I felt much more comfortable with the hammer and locking in. I wasn't fully comfortable with my zone but I felt that it was pretty good for the most part. It did mess up my first strike 3 call but after that it was all good. I thought my timing was much better on strikes but I was quick on a couple of ball calls. As a side note, the field was great and had a very cool backdrop for the outfield.

Posted

I used it [the hammer?] for a few games but went back to one knee.

I'm not sure what you're saying: it sounds as if you're contrasting a stance ("the knee") with a strike/out signal ("the hammer"). Not sure what you're saying there.

 

In any case, there are 2 stances that we advise amateur umpires NOT to use, namely the knee and the scissors.

 

The PU needs to get out from behind the plate on pretty much any batted ball, and being on 1 knee slows you down. Even if you're young and agile, you can almost always get into a better position for a play if you start from a more upright position.

 

The scissors is still prohibited in MiLB because it stresses the neck too much. (You don't mention that one — just sayin'). Amateur umpires — especially anyone over age 40 — should definitely not be using the scissors.

 

As for the strike call, hammer vs point: meh. Baseball umpires are allowed some space for stylin' with their strike call, and provided your timing and zone are solid, and your call is the right volume to sell the call, I would never ding you for using any of the customary mechanics for calling strikes.

Posted

I agree. Stay away from the knee. It is not taught anywhere. And for God's sakes stay away from the scissors. lol

Posted

I don't think I was using the scissors previously, just down on one knee. I changed both my stance and strike call for the day and felt more comfortable. I went with the squat like in @maven profile pic. I switched to the hammer because I didn't want to take my eyes off the field of play, especially in a JV solo game. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

  • Like 2
Posted

And here is a picture of the field I was talking about.

-edit Never mind, file too big.

Posted

I don't think I was using the scissors previously, just down on one knee. I changed both my stance and strike call for the day and felt more comfortable. I went with the squat like in @maven profile pic. I switched to the hammer because I didn't want to take my eyes off the field of play, especially in a JV solo game. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

 

Whoa. Wait, what???!! JV is Junior Varsity, which is ballplayers between 14-16 years old, right? This is fairly serious baseball, eh? And you were... actually... working... alone??!!!  :wow:

 

I don't mean to completely hijack and sidetrack your thread, @RingEmUp, but your calling of that game – solo â€“ is a travesty according to some other umpires here (U-E topic), who cannot wrap their brain around the concept of a baseball game being worked by a single, lone umpire.

 

We do what we have to do because, well, it's baseball. Well done, soldier, well done.

Posted

 

I don't think I was using the scissors previously, just down on one knee. I changed both my stance and strike call for the day and felt more comfortable. I went with the squat like in @maven profile pic. I switched to the hammer because I didn't want to take my eyes off the field of play, especially in a JV solo game. I hope this clarifies things a bit.

 

Whoa. Wait, what???!! JV is Junior Varsity, which is ballplayers between 14-16 years old, right? This is fairly serious baseball, eh? And you were... actually... working... alone??!!!  :wow:

 

I don't mean to completely hijack and sidetrack your thread, @RingEmUp, but your calling of that game – solo â€“ is a travesty according to some other umpires here (U-E topic), who cannot wrap their brain around the concept of a baseball game being worked by a single, lone umpire.

 

We do what we have to do because, well, it's baseball. Well done, soldier, well done.

 

I work in the same association as RingEmUp and JV has always been single man. Don't know why, but that's the way it is.

There are 2 associations that cover HS ball in our county. I'm not sure how the other association handles JV.

Posted

I don't think one man should ever be used.

 

But it definitely should NEVER be used on a 90 foot diamond.  

 

Especially at the high school level.  What state are you in?

Posted

I don't think one man should ever be used.

 

But it definitely should NEVER be used on a 90 foot diamond.  

 

Especially at the high school level.  What state are you in?

 

My area uses 1 umpire for virtually all sub-varsity HS games. Only the Catholic schools pay for 2 umpires for JV (and even they generally use 1 for frosh).

Posted

I always crack up when people get all bent out of shape about 1 man in JV and below. While I don't have any JV or below in my schedule this year, I've been doing those games solo for years with little to no arguments from anyone. It just ain't that hard.

  • Like 1
Posted

Maybe not, but I have no interest in ever working them. Thankfully, my state requires 2 at every level, from freshman on up. No second umpire, no game. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  • Like 2
Posted

JV ball can be different in different areas. I'd guess that some of the JV teams that Steve sees could beat many of the varsity teams around here.

  • Like 1
Posted

While I agree working a 90' solo game is not only doable but kind of fun and exhilarating for the individual umpire (you definitely get a workout), I fortunately work for an association with a commissioner and board that insist on always assigning two umpires to a 90' game--if U2 fails to show--start and maybe finish the game solo--and depending how far from the fort you are, he'll make every effort to get a partner there ASAP.  If you insist on only paying for one umpire on a 90' game, then that's ok, but you'll need to look for your umpire(s) elsewhere.

 

Government bureaucrats and youth league administrators will always try to cut budgets so they can spend more or less money where they want it spent and not spent. Cutting down on the number and cost of baseball umpires (for school and youth athletic programs that are already cash strapped) will be something many of them will continually try to do, because to them that will always be an acceptable place to spend less money. And once they get their way a time or two, it'll quickly become more often than not, and maybe eventually all the time. "Well, we did it quite a few times last season, and we didn't have any problems or complaints."

 

So for those who work in states where "basically all" sub-varsity games are solo experiences, did it start out that way, or was that something that creeped up on you little by little and is now something that's politically irreversible??

Posted

Pretty much in all of Souther California that I am aware of JV/Frosh Soft and Freshman are solo unless calling some of the Private schools who will pay for 2 or 3 man.

Don't want to work solo? Your not going to work HS then around here for the most part unless all you have on your schedule is Varsity or your only doing youth ball where the cost to the league is a hot dog and a coke or the teams pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Posted

Talk about a thread hijack. I don't mind solo games for JV but I also don't want to hear a bunch of complaining on close calls. Now for thone that have not experienced SoCal baseball, most of he HS fields don't have lights. My biggest complaint is not having a locker room or changing area for officials. Maybe the football and basketball ref's get a locker room but I'm not sure about that.

  • Like 1
Posted

Sorry, RingEm. You're right.

 

I evidently didn't learn anything while doing 10 years for being an "accessory to hijacking" in an earlier life.

Thanks!!

 

Back to the OP fellas :wave:

Posted

single man game and one knee stance sound like a bad recipe.....I hope you are tall.....

 

full disclosure, I am not tall enough to work a HS game from the knee...(and I don't like getting my polywools dirty)

  • Like 1
Posted

single man game and one knee stance sound like a bad recipe.....I hope you are tall.....

 

full disclosure, I am not tall enough to work a HS game from the knee...(and I don't like getting my polywools dirty)

I have met @RingEmUp

 

He's only 4'2" so he has to get low. No way he can look over the catcher.

  • Like 1
Posted

I guess I'm tall enough at 6' 0".  For me it was all about comfort with the strike zone.  I feel that I have a much better view of the zone from one knee than I do squating down.  My main thing is that I am giving the squat and hammer another try and I felt much more comfortable this time around versus the last time I tried them out.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

single man game and one knee stance sound like a bad recipe.....I hope you are tall.....

 

full disclosure, I am not tall enough to work a HS game from the knee...(and I don't like getting my polywools dirty)

I have met @RingEmUp

 

He's only 4'2" so he has to get low. No way he can look over the catcher.

 

 

You got me.  :Facepalm:

Posted

http://deadspin.com/college-ump-takes-nasty-foul-tip-straight-to-the-mask-1691580757

 

The link is a video of a PU getting bombed by a foul ball directly to the mask. It came up on another thread about masks, but look at his position/mechanic behind the dish. Head height REALLY low, on 1 knee! 

 

So my question to you more experienced and better trained fellas is, if his positioning is correct/better, does he not take it off the chest protector more often than the head, and wouldn't that be our preference? 

×
×
  • Create New...