Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4329 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So my Alma Mater is having a "snowshoe baseball" tournament in February. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada, so needless to say, it will be really cold and lots of snow. Our February's are very cold (around -30C to -40C on some days). I have three masks, All-Star FM4000 with TW pads but I do have the stock pads, Diamond ix3 Featherweight with TW, and Wilson TI with stock pads. 

 

My problem is that I want it to be, not warm, but something that will be decently comfortable. I think the Wilson wrap around leather pads will be too cold. I think the TW pads will stiffen up.

 

What experience do you have with this such cold weather and what mask do you recommend that won't cold on my face, but will still absorb the impact if I get hit?

Posted

Wear a hood/balaclava over your face. Then it doesn't matter what pads you wear.

  • Like 2
Posted

Wear a hood/balaclava over your face. Then it doesn't matter what pads you wear.

What about stiffness?

Posted

What is this -30 - -40 C you speak of?

And if it's what I think it is, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! There is NO REASON to play baseball in that weather.

  • Like 2
Posted

I called a game today...low 40s(F) windy...wore my Mizuno traditional mask...with a face how. My Wilson wrap around pads did great.

 

 

It was cold...but had a blast. NAIA intrasquad World Series for a local college.

Posted

@Moe

TWSS! Hahaha

I've made my position on TW pads abundantly clear on here. ANY pads except TW and the Diamond stock cloth pads that come with iX3 mask.

Posted

 

 

Wear a hood/balaclava over your face. Then it doesn't matter what pads you wear.

What about stiffness?

 

I've never had a balaclava stiffen up on me.

 

That's what she said  :biggrin:

  • Like 1
Posted

What is this -30 - -40 C you speak of?

And if it's what I think it is, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! There is NO REASON to play baseball in that weather.

Snowshoe baseball in February.It's cold, that's the idea. They wait until baseball withdrawal has set in, then offer a freeze your @$$ off baseball :P

 

BTW, -30C is -22F

Posted

",,,it will be really cold and lots of snow..."

 

Sounds like the perfect time to consider calling balls and strikes from behind the mound. No, I take that back. It would be the perfect time to call *strikes* from behind the mound.

 

Pads won't work. No foul lines to be seen.

Posted

 

What is this -30 - -40 C you speak of?

And if it's what I think it is, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG! There is NO REASON to play baseball in that weather.

Snowshoe baseball in February.It's cold, that's the idea. They wait until baseball withdrawal has set in, then offer a freeze your @$$ off baseball :P

 

BTW, -30C is -22F

 

 

and -40C is -40F

Posted

Your Alma Mater is crazy.

Go to bar, drink beer.

A little bit, yeah. I think it would be fun. 

 

snowmanphoto_zpsc5363335.jpg

That's probably what most of the players will look like.  :P

Posted

How are they going to keep from getting frostbite with the temperature that low?

 

I have an idea for a mask: Turn the game back and don't wear one at all. 

  • Like 1
Posted

How are they going to keep from getting frostbite with the temperature that low?

 

I have an idea for a mask: Turn the game back and don't wear one at all. 

Can be -30C. Might not be. Maybe just -20C :P Canadians are pretty hardy. We'll see :P

Posted

Hell, if you drink enough (which I highly suggest...), it won't matter what mask you wear.  Bottoms up... :beerbang

×
×
  • Create New...