First Team Wendy's! Happy Fathers Day to me!

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3588 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My awesome wife and kids just surprised me with my first pair of Team Wendy's Pads. My mask is a lightweight Champro that came with the two tone pleather pads. They weren't terrible, but I knew the time would come when that first real hit to the mask would create a desire, so I announced it beforehand, and my family responded.

Greater benefit is I get to wear them for the Minors championship game tomorrow night! Another first. God is good!  

I have to admit, the TW's feel a bit stiff or hard in the jaw? Will they loosen up? 

• Like 1

I thought they were stiff too. I attributed it to the cold weather in March when I first wore them. Five plate jobs. Three hits to the mask and two massive headaches later I gave up on them and sold them to Jocko.

@Jocko

Tell this guy and me how they're doing please.

Other guys love them. They weren't for me. I've taken five or six more hits since I went back to traditional leather pads. Three were really hard ones and no ill effects whatsoever.

I think the padding material changed in them with the 2014 products. All the 2012 and 2013 year model owners love theirs. Report how they feel after you wear one in the face.

Good luck. Congrats. And don't suck.

• Like 1

I thought they were stiff too. I attributed it to the cold weather in March when I first wore them. Five plate jobs. Three hits to the mask and two massive headaches later I gave up on them and sold them to Jocko.

@Jocko

Tell this guy and me how they're doing please.

Other guys love them. They weren't for me. I've taken five or six more hits since I went back to traditional leather pads. Three were really hard ones and no ill effects whatsoever.

I think the padding material changed in them with the 2014 products. All the 2012 and 2013 year model owners love theirs. Report how they feel after you wear one in the face.

Good luck. Congrats. And don't suck.

I own 3 sets, 2 black and 1 tan, I bought a tan and black set back in 2012 and I love them and haven't had any issues. My newest set was bought in February 2014 and I only took one hit since then while wearing them but it did stun me like I got hit but I had no ill effects though it was enough for me to buy into the notion that something is different about the 2014's compared to the previous years.

As far as the protection goes in the 2012's, the hardest hit I've taken was a BBCOR bat to the mask in a HS game, it really rung my bell and I was able to finish the game. All of the mask shots I've taken haven't left me with any ill effects so the TW pads must work. For the mean while until we figure out what the deal is with the 2014's, I'll keep them sidelined until my 2012's can no longer be used. 

I don't own them anymore and in my quest to find the leather traditional pads I've stocked up so I won't be trading or switching anymore pads for a while if ever.

Someone who is an owner or Team Wendy's pads should start a dialogue with them about the difference and apparent stiffness of the 2014 versions. Maybe we could get a TW rep to post on here like other vendors? That would be nice.

My .02......

• Like 1

I don't own them anymore and in my quest to find the leather traditional pads I've stocked up so I won't be trading or switching anymore pads for a while if ever.

Someone who is an owner or Team Wendy's pads should start a dialogue with them about the difference and apparent stiffness of the 2014 versions. Maybe we could get a TW rep to post on here like other vendors? That would be nice.

My .02......

Dave, My jaw hurt much more when getting hit while wearing the team wendy pads as well and they were from a few years ago. I wonder if it is just the individual pads?

Keep in mind the TW pads don't eliminate the effects from taking a shot...it simply minimizes some of the force. Key word here is "some" not all. There will be some shots you will take that it won't matter what pads you wear....your going to get stung or possibly concussed even with TW pads on.

All I know is I've worked 200-350 games a year with approximately 2/3 of them plate jobs over the past 9 years. I've been hit in the facemask over 100 times and the only 3 I thought hurt like I had been punched in the face and the only time I've had a headache were the 3 hits total in two of the five times I worked a plate wearing 2014 model black Team Wendy's mask pads. Zorbium technology be damned. I'm not stupid and I know when something hurts and is hazardous to my health. Team Wendy's pads, the 2014 model, are dangerous as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

I got a set a month or so ago (not sure if they are 2014 or holdovers) - had a couple of good shots. They feel the same as my original set in my other mask.

I still feel the shots, but I don't get the jarring sensation, it is more of a tingling sensation that seems to spread across my face. Not sure if this is the padding spreading out the force or not.

The first shot I took with TW's, it felt odd, but not nearly as bad as the leather pads I have used over the years.

I still trust them and will continue to use them.

Like stated above, they will never take the entire shot away, they hopefully will just ease the shot and spread out the force.

Has anyone seen the new masks that Honigs is selling? The one with the shock absorbers. They are stating that the Red Sox are using it. I saw a video about David Ross, and he was going to try it (because of his multiple concussions), but I notice when he is behind the plate he is still using a standard mask with Wilson pads. Anyone have any input? It is the Jim Evans mask

I got a set a month or so ago (not sure if they are 2014 or holdovers) - had a couple of good shots. They feel the same as my original set in my other mask.

I still feel the shots, but I don't get the jarring sensation, it is more of a tingling sensation that seems to spread across my face. Not sure if this is the padding spreading out the force or not.

The first shot I took with TW's, it felt odd, but not nearly as bad as the leather pads I have used over the years.

I still trust them and will continue to use them.

Like stated above, they will never take the entire shot away, they hopefully will just ease the shot and spread out the force.

Has anyone seen the new masks that Honigs is selling? The one with the shock absorbers. They are stating that the Red Sox are using it. I saw a video about David Ross, and he was going to try it (because of his multiple concussions), but I notice when he is behind the plate he is still using a standard mask with Wilson pads. Anyone have any input? It is the Jim Evans mask

@maineump yes, I'd seen it.  It's an awesome mask, way different design.  Many people doesn't like it because it's a different design and many umpires are traditionalists and doesn't like the changes.  As far as I know the team is using it on his MilB affiliates catchers that doesn't have a contract with any other catcher equipment supplier.  That was the reason why Ross is not using it.  His contract with Mizuno doesn't let him use equipment from another supplier.   Yes, that's the Force3 mask or Jim Evans mask or the Evans mask or the Unequal mask, many street names for one mask.

http://www.force3progear.com/product/defender-mask/

Link for the Force 3 Defender Mask - impressive, and expensive! Also just under 2 pounds. What is considered 'heavy' for a mask? Mine is just over a pound. 

This mask also comes with a decent warranty. 

• Like 2

Trouble is, when comparing any sort of protective gear in the real world, is that no two shots are alike. You may take one square, with superior protection, and judge it against one that comes at you from a slight angle, with lesser gear.

I've worn the Force 3 mask, just in the umpire changing room, and it's different. It sits a bit further from your face, and is quite a lot heavier (than my Champro Mag + TW). Plus, they tell you to wear it snug, so whipping if off was a challenge. Very different. I didn't care for it, for the 30 seconds I had it on, but wouldn't say to anyone it's not a good rig.

I got the TW pads when the first came out (?), and have been using that set, and one bought last year ever since. They have got a bit mushier over time, and think that's a good thing. They both started out stiff, and I always had to warm them up, by massaging them before a game. Heat and cold does make a difference.

• Like 1

http://www.force3progear.com/product/defender-mask/

Link for the Force 3 Defender Mask - impressive, and expensive! Also just under 2 pounds. What is considered 'heavy' for a mask? Mine is just over a pound. 

This mask also comes with a decent warranty. 

I own and use the Force 3 Unequal mask.  I have had no issues with taking it off and have been hit a few times. It is more startling than anything else when being hit. TING. And then you wonder about the hit. I never wore my other masks loosely either. The other masks would spin and all the things they were supposed to do. Have to say I love this mask.

• Like 2

I wore my Black/Black 2014 TW's yesterday in a summer college league game, took a full facial shot and felt a very slight jarring, which is to be expected. Lasted 30 seconds and two pitches later I forgot that I had been hit. I won't go on the field without them....Love 'em. I gues it is personal preference.....
  • Like 1

I'm glad they work for most everyone else. I would still love to know if the newer ones are a different compound or material or what. Doesn't matter to me as I'm stocked up on doeskin traditional pads that will probably last me through retirement from umpiring. Just don't want anyone to have my experience.

• Like 1

for anyone who thinks they are too stiff, I left mine in direct sunlight in my car and they now have a super plush feeling to them. I personally did not find them all that stiff but my experience could differ from anyone's so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Wow I just got mine in mail today. Switched out my stock diamond ix3 pads. You can really tell the difference. The stock pads were like padding for a kiddie toy. The TW pads are the real deal.

You could get killed using the Diamond stock pads.  They're awful.  @mbkcoach