calling a coach "coach"

CodyLoe15
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3935 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I would wager that the locations of the restrooms in the parks you work in aren't written down for you either in the manual, but I bet you can find them.

As you progress, this is one of the things that will help you stand out. My advice is you stay in the manual and not listen to the advice given on this site. Yeah, that'll work.

Well we are going to agree to disagree. You can insult me all you want, and if that helps you sleep better at night so be it. I have advanced very far in my short High School Career. I have worked with guys of all caliber. And the majority of the mentors I have say the same thing, if you remember his name use it. If you don't? Call him Coach. If you are not sure then call him Coach. If you call him by the wrong name you lose ALL credibility. 

• Like 1

I try to know every bodies first name at all levels. From the AD's at D1 schools to the concession stand ladies at the local LL. I feel it creates better karma.

Got any numbers to go with those names of the ladies in the concession stands? I'm not really in the market, but there's nothing that turns me on more than a woman who knows her way around a sno-cone machine!

Tim.

Well we are going to agree to disagree. You can insult me all you want, and if that helps you sleep better at night so be it. I have advanced very far in my short High School Career. I have worked with guys of all caliber. And the majority of the mentors I have say the same thing, if you remember his name use it. If you don't? Call him Coach. If you are not sure then call him Coach. If you call him by the wrong name you lose ALL credibility. 

If you decide to advance to the college level and call the manager "coach" he may decide to rip you a new one. He is a manager, coaches work for him and it's disrespectful. If you can't remember his name then "skip" or "skipper" would be better. There's nothing requiring you to use their names but it is more professional and at the higher levels they should be using yours also. It will be noticed if you don't.

• Like 2

I worked a tournament with this one umpire.

By the end of the second inning of each game he knew the name of every player and every coach on each team.

I would wager that the locations of the restrooms in the parks you work in aren't written down for you either in the manual, but I bet you can find them.

As you progress, this is one of the things that will help you stand out. My advice is you stay in the manual and not listen to the advice given on this site. Yeah, that'll work.

I agree. There is a lot I can learn from you guys. I am learning every day. I am going to work on the names and see if it works for me. Thank you for the suggestion.

I am sorry if I came off as a jerk. Been a stressful couple of weeks. 

I write the names of the Managers and Catchers (primary) on the lineup card at the plate meeting as part of my card management. It helps in remembering names especially if your working a new league or area. 

I also shake hands with each teams catcher just before the first inning warm up pitches. Allows for expectations to be set before you get going.

I write the names of the Managers and Catchers (primary) on the lineup card at the plate meeting as part of my card management. It helps in remembering names especially if your working a new league or area. 

I'm one of the "sucks with names" guys here (first cousin of "Dances with Wolves," but that's another story).  I see this advice offered all the time, and I just don't see how it helps.

Why?  Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see my lineup card that much, or for that long, the rest of the game.  And I, almost 100% of the time, will need to use/know a coachesmanagers name long well before that first time the card comes out.  Often, the next time I see those cards, they're being crumpled up and thrown in the back of my car.

So, is this really a thing?  Does this really help?  And please explain how?  Type slowly, so I'll get it.

The very act of writing it down will help you remember and you can pull the cards out the first couple of innings to see the names again -- theres no rule that says they have to remain in your ball  bag or wherever until theres a sub.

Fair enough.  I just feel like there's enough to keep me occupied with the game at hand, than to look over the lineup card.

Also, for full disclosure, I need readers for up-close.  Usually, people write large enough for me to handle the important part of line-up management without pulling them out.  But looking at the card to study coach names (who generally don't sweat knowing MY name, even at the HS level) seems like more effort than I'm concerned with, esp. if I want to pull out the readers.

At my age forgeting names is normal.

I just use Gentlemen at the plate meeting and sir when I interact with them.

Calling me blue, ump or mr umpire is fine with me as long as the TONE is correct.

I have been called sasquatch and yeti and bigfoot as well. This results in an ejection

I actually don't like using names, too personal and familiar.

RESPECT is the key here.

• Like 1

I'm one of the "sucks with names" guys here (first cousin of "Dances with Wolves," but that's another story).  I see this advice offered all the time, and I just don't see how it helps.

Why?  Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't see my lineup card that much, or for that long, the rest of the game.  And I, almost 100% of the time, will need to use/know a coachesmanagers name long well before that first time the card comes out.  Often, the next time I see those cards, they're being crumpled up and thrown in the back of my car.

So, is this really a thing?  Does this really help?  And please explain how?  Type slowly, so I'll get it.

I'm glad you dont really get to see my lineup cards......they are a mess........In my games with LC's, I use it to record and jot down points of the game I want to include into my game journal....I record subs, conferences pinch runners, names of the head coaches (that I dont know).....fortunately I've been around a long time and so have many of them..so I do know a lot of the names......some know me, but I dont know them.......it doesnt mean I dont use coach, Sir, gentlemen or skip as the circumstance permits.........it is the tone and inflection that makes any word wrong.......

I also use it as a prop......when I need a quick moment with a player or coach, I call them over and pull out my lineup card and pen and point to some imaginary item and then discuss what ever I need to get across while outwardly looking like WE are discussing some point on my card..... I like my direct orders to come across as more consultative in nature than confrontational.....

Here are some examples..........

Bill, the boys are a little chippy today......something I should know?......can you rein them in a bit?

Bill, Your young starter is pitching well, and I like a fast working pitcher, but can you have him keep an eye on me for the play sign?.

Bill, Please dont call balk from the coaches box........we are on it....... 

Bill, Those students down the right field line may have to be addressed if they keep up that type of talk......

Its a personality thing, I know baseball is a passionate game  and  I've found that "using" the lineup card has helped me in a lot of areas of game management.......I'm  more accurate on conferences, more accurate on substitiutions, more thourogh in my post game conferences with my partners, More professional in my coach interactions by using names with those coaches who find that important....

Edited by Stan W.
usual suspects, clarity and spelling....
  • Like 1

The only thing I can tell you is, you are truly a "sucks with names" guy, do something, anything to try and get better. Follow the advice given.

I think it really helps if I need to speak with a manager, a ballfield is a noisy place and players may be yelling "hey coach" and if I say the same thing it sometimes gets lost (and I don't want to yell). If I say "Jimmy, can you ....." it cuts thru the noise. Again I also go back to it being the most professional way to address a manager. You know the old business saying of dress like you would in the job you want, not the one you have. Same thing with dressing and acting like you're working the level you want to be, not the one you're in.

I'm glad you dont really get to see my lineup cards......they are a mess........In my games with LC's, I use it to record and jot down points of the game I want to include into my game journal....I record subs, conferences pinch runners, names of the head coaches (that I dont know).....fortunately I've been around a long time and so have many of them..so I do know a lot of the names......some know me, but I dont know them.......it doesnt mean I dont use coach, Sir, gentlemen or skip as the circumstance permits.........it is the tone and inflection that makes any word wrong.......

I also use it as a prop......when I need a quick moment with a player or coach, I call them over and pull out my lineup card and pen and point to some imaginary item and then discuss what ever I need to get across while outwardly looking like WE are discussing some point on my card..... I like my direct orders to come across as more consultative in nature than confrontational.....

Here are some examples..........

Bill, the boys are a little chippy today......something I should know?......can you rein them in a bit?

Bill, Your young starter is pitching well, and I like a fast working pitcher, but can you have him keep an eye on me for the play sign?.

Bill, Please dont call balk from the coaches box........we are on it....... 

Bill, Those students down the right field line may have to be addressed if they keep up that type of talk......

Its a personality thing, I know baseball is a passionate game  and  I've found that "using" the lineup card has helped me in a lot of areas of game management.......I'm  more accurate on conferences, more accurate on substitiutions, more thourogh in my post game conferences with my partners, More professional in my coach interactions by using names with those coaches who find that important....

Stan, I get the uses of the lineup card - subs, CRs, etc - but the name thing is where I'm falling down.  I like your post, don't get me wrong, but having a coaches name on the card hasn't helped me one damn bit.  Either I work enough of their games to remember, or I don't. 

I'd love to improve it, cats, but working all of 20 games a year right now, it's not one of the things I'm concerned with.  There's no "moving up" to move up TO, for one thing.  And I'm more concerning my other skills atrophying, given the lack of work and the unevenness of partners, LONG before I give a [fecal package] about remembering a coaches name, or caring if he's upset about that fact.

In fact, considering the coaching stock here at the DoDDs schools, I'm STILL way out front in the professionalism department, even if I don't have everyone's name committed to memory.

I make it a point to call every manager from little league all the way up to Div 1 College baseball by his first name. I don't care if I have known the guy for 5 years or 5 min. In lower levels, you will learn the managers name at the plate meeting. When he tells you his name REMEMBER IT! I use simple word association to help me remember. If the guy’s name is Fred, and his teams uniform shirts are red, I say to myself, that’s "Ready Freddy" this helps me remember his name during the game.

For Varsity and above, most times the Managers know you are coming to work their games well in advance(certainly at the college level). So I would advise that if you work, or plan on working college ball, make sure you know the managers name ahead of time. Most schools have baseball websites that list the coaching staff. Before heading to the field, at least look the managers name up and KNOW IT before the plate meeting. Trust me, it goes a long way walking up to a plate meeting introducing yourself already knowing both managers names.

• Like 1

Calling a manager by his first name creates an opportunity to gauge his temperament and ability. If you call him by his first name, and he does the same to you, you can make a pretty accurate assessment that he has some measure of competence. Likewise, if he doesn't, then you have a good idea that he isn't as skilled, talented and/or experienced as some others. Calling him by something other than his name removes this opportunity, and quite frankly, creates a perception about your skill, talent, and/or experience level.

I've noticed a correlation between my managerial ejections and the non-usage of my name. That's not to say it puts me on edge, because it doesn't, but that if a manager doesn't have the knowledge to call me by my name, he's more likely not to know when to keep his mouth shut.

If you decide to advance to the college level and call the manager "coach" he may decide to rip you a new one. He is a manager, coaches work for him and it's disrespectful. If you can't remember his name then "skip" or "skipper" would be better. There's nothing requiring you to use their names but it is more professional and at the higher levels they should be using yours also. It will be noticed if you don't.

I decided to speak to a college coach about this and she laughed at the thought of being upset about being called ''Coach" and wondered if they are producing way too many hyper sensitive coaches or umps these days.

In college, How do administrators, players, etc, address that manager?  As "Manager Joe"? As "Skipper Joe"?  No, they are addressed as "Coach Smith".

I decided to speak to a college coach about this and she laughed at the thought of being upset about being called ''Coach" and wondered if they are producing way too many hyper sensitive coaches or umps these days.

In college, How do administrators, players, etc, address that manager?  As "Manager Joe"? As "Skipper Joe"?  No, they are addressed as "Coach Smith".

She? I didn't know we were talking about softball here.

At the college level in baseball, first names are used by every partner I have worked with. Would most coaches get seething mad? Probably not, but that is the norm in that setting. Just like other cultural norms, customs, etc.