why no EJ-F2 and F1

dumbdumb
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3941 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Great call at the plate. 3BLE. Maybe could have taken another step to right, but saw it perfectly.

But, why no EJ with the slammed mask on the ground by F2 and then the glove by F1 :22-:25

Totally uncalled for at the amateur player level, even college. If this has to be let go to keep your job, then is it really worth it.

Totally unacceptable if NCAA expects the umpires to have to have to walk away and not EJ for this. Could care less if it is a big game.

I blame the NCAA for forcing the umpires to turn a blind eye to this, rather than being able to do the right thing and eject. Too bad they would have to sit out another game or whatever the penalty. If the penalty is severe, then that's what the NCAA obviously wants,, to clamp down on poor sportsmanship and poor personal conduct displays. The NCAA is a bunch of crock if they want an oleh, and free pass on these 2 displays. I have a funny feeling this is one of the most highly rated umpires in the NCAA and once again I am not trying to get on his case. If the NCAA wanted the players kicked out for this, I feel like this umpire or any umpire would kick them out. However, obviously, the NCAA doesn't want an ejection for this and therefor there was none. I just feel like the NCAA is totally wrong on this one.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2013-06-21/game-changing-call

Great call at the plate. 3BLE. Maybe could have taken another step to right, but saw it perfectly.

But, why no EJ with the slammed mask on the ground by F2 and then the glove by F1 :22-:25

Totally uncalled for at the amateur player level, even college. If this has to be let go to keep your job, then is it really worth it.

Totally unacceptable if NCAA expects the umpires to have to have to walk away and not EJ for this. Could care less if it is a big game.

I blame the NCAA for forcing the umpires to turn a blind eye to this, rather than being able to do the right thing and eject. Too bad they would have to sit out another game or whatever the penalty. If the penalty is severe, then that's what the NCAA obviously wants,, to clamp down on poor sportsmanship and poor personal conduct displays. The NCAA is a bunch of crock if they want an oleh, and free pass on these 2 displays. I have a funny feeling this is one of the most highly rated umpires in the NCAA and once again I am not trying to get on his case. If the NCAA wanted the players kicked out for this, I feel like this umpire or any umpire would kick them out. However, obviously, the NCAA doesn't want an ejection for this and therefor there was none. I just feel like the NCAA is totally wrong on this one.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2013-06-21/game-changing-call

I agree completely. The odd thing about it is that NCAA spent a chunk of their time in the off season and another solid chunk during the season explaining to us the new, tougher ejection/suspension protocols. Then they completely ignore it at the biggest stage sending the message that it's okay to throw a fit when the game is REALLY important. Frustrating. I'm almost certain that the umpires were told to keep the kids in the game unless left w/ no other option. I saw it in the Big 10 tournament last year where there was a fight at third base and no ejections. NCAA seems to be talking out of both sides of their mouth on this issue. Let it be known that if your boss tells you to keep players in the game and you don't, you can promise yourself that it'll be your last trip to Omaha.

F2 did not turn and get into PUs face.

The head coach got into "save the player" mode really really quickly. Normal approach at this level.

We don' know what, if anything was said. Could be that F2 was just frustrated at giving up the run and said "aw s%($" or whatever - not directed at the call. He did immediately turn to the field to look for a possible further play. That was my perspective when I saw it.

Some folks here seem to have a paranoia streak and assume everything's directed at them.

BTW - I think it was last night's game that had the "neighborhood hell - not even in the same zip code"  out at 2B on a DP pivot. Gross error. Not a peep.  Strange.

Maybe not the catcher as he came up looking for another play (and could have been getting rid of his mask :laugh: ) - but definately the pitcher :wave: .

Ump had a great view - great slide = safe!

The clinic I went to in Philly had the message - to cut down on that stuff on the field. Above my pay grade! We will see this play in next year's clinic presentation.

• Like 1

If a batter spikes his helmet to the ground after a close play at first, I am probably not going to take the time to evaluate whether he is mad at himself or mad at me. I'm tossing him... It is the same thing here.

And this coach is the definition of rat...

After home-plate umpire Joe Burleson made the call, a pair of Wolfpack coaches sprinted from the dugout, Austin threw his mask down and pitcher Carlos Rodon chucked his glove. Ejections were threatened, but none were issued.

NC State head coach Elliott Avent, one of the coaches who sprinted out of the dugout after the call, wasn’t satisfied with the explanation he got from Burleson.

“It was a terrible explanation,†Avent said. “Actually, I didn’t really get one. The ball just beat him, for me, you know the dugout is so far from home plate. The ball just beat him so much that obviously maybe we didn’t block the plate good enough. But with the rules, it says you can’t block home plate.â€

While Avent did say instant replay may prove Burleson’s call correct, that isn’t the point.

“That’s the beauty of baseball for me,†Avent said. “Please don’t ever have instant replay in baseball. That’s one of the great joys still of this game and just one of the beauties.

“Golf is a pure game. This is a pure game, let’s leave it alone. If he got his hand in, fine.â€

"That obviously maybe we didn't block the plate enough"?? Obviously maybe, eh, coach?

"It was a terrible explanation"?? What kind of explanation do you want??? His hand beat the tag! That's all there is to it!

You have to wonder what his comments would be if the replay showed otherwise.  :no:

If a batter spikes his helmet to the ground after a close play at first, I am probably not going to take the time to evaluate whether he is mad at himself or mad at me. I'm tossing him... It is the same thing here.

After home-plate umpire Joe Burleson made the call, a pair of Wolfpack coaches sprinted from the dugout, Austin threw his mask down and pitcher Carlos Rodon chucked his glove. Ejections were threatened, but none were issued.

NC State head coach Elliott Avent, one of the coaches who sprinted out of the dugout after the call, wasn’t satisfied with the explanation he got from Burleson.

“It was a terrible explanation,†Avent said. “Actually, I didn’t really get one. The ball just beat him, for me, you know the dugout is so far from home plate. The ball just beat him so much that obviously maybe we didn’t block the plate good enough. But with the rules, it says you can’t block home plate.â€

While Avent did say instant replay may prove Burleson’s call correct, that isn’t the point.

“That’s the beauty of baseball for me,†Avent said. “Please don’t ever have instant replay in baseball. That’s one of the great joys still of this game and just one of the beauties.

“Golf is a pure game. This is a pure game, let’s leave it alone. If he got his hand in, fine.â€

"That obviously maybe we didn't block the plate enough"?? Obviously maybe, eh, coach?

"It was a terrible explanation"?? What kind of explanation do you want??? His hand beat the tag! That's all there is to it!

You have to wonder what his comments would be if the replay showed otherwise.  :no:

2 Coaches out of the dugout? Anyone see a problem here? The assistant is gone for arguing (and gets a short well deserved vacation as well)). Even with the replays that have been shown, he still thinks he deserves an explanation?

Here's what I will add.. when and if you ever make it too the CWS.. then and only then you should you think of Ej in this situation.. how many times you see umpires keeping MLB players in the games in the Postseason.? I'll say it again, Joe might be one of the best in College baseball. I for one thought it was great he kept the players in... he gave a warning to both players, coaches came out and got the players away. Right or wrong, it is the Umpires Judgment as to EJ or not.

2 Coaches out of the dugout? Anyone see a problem here? The assistant is gone for arguing (and gets a short well deserved vacation as well)). Even with the replays that have been shown, he still thinks he deserves an explanation?

1st off.. the coaches didnt come out to argue.. he came out to get his players.. which is fine.

Here's what I will add.. when and if you ever make it too the CWS.. then and only then you should you think of Ej in this situation.. how many times you see umpires keeping MLB players in the games in the Postseason.? I'll say it again, Joe might be one of the best in College baseball. I for one thought it was great he kept the players in... he gave a warning to both players, coaches came out and got the players away. Right or wrong, it is the Umpires Judgment as to EJ or not.

1st off.. the coaches didnt come out to argue.. he came out to get his players.. which is fine.

I agree the PU is an excellent umpire, he proved that on the call. I just hate that the NCAA tles his hands in such a big game. It makes out so much tougher on the regular season guys. No knock on the umpire, only on the governing body.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I agree.  It makes all the stuff they preached this entire season about knowing the suspension rules, the tougher ejection rules, etc...then completely throw it out in the post season for a different set of rules.  

Not hating on the umpire he was likely told to keep them in the game.

• Like 1

And this is where class should be shown. Neither MLB nor NCAA should allow any more leeway for either. Big deal, is there anyone who doesn't know the WS or CWS is a big game. Come off it. Of course no one is there to see the umpires, but that should not give the players a bigger license to whine and cry. This is just totally disgusting that the NCAA wants all bets off for the """"Big""" contest, as if the whole world is just considering a it a "little contest".

It is perfectly OK if the manager or player wants to throw equipment or call the umpire a name. Let the umpire toss and then enforce whatever penalty is involved. The player gets it off his chest and sits out a 2nd game and then comes back if there are any games left to come back to. Same as the coach/manager. If it is important not to get ejected then the coach/manager has to inform the player's that they cannot afford to get ejected at this point in the tournament, and just to let the coaching staff get ejected if there need be any ejections. That is their job. Just tell the players to play and not concentrate and whine about the umpires.

Personally, I would have taken both my players out and had them sit the rest of the game. Then, I would have had a big article in the paper backing my players to the hilt, while at the same time commenting that the NCAA baseball is the greatest game since sliced bread and we don't slam our helmets and carry on like that other League does. I would talk about the great conduct and deportment that my institution expects and it is my job to uphold those beliefs when the going gets tough.

Now, everyone here except me knows all the verbal judo or Dale Carnegie things to say and put into words which would uphold all the virtues of not only my own institute but all institutes of higher learning, along with sportsmanship and fair play and at the same time take the heat off the players who had just acted out of frustration and going over the top towards the umpire, because they wanted to win so badly, At the same time I would be behind players and respect them and the fact that they helped get us to this point to start with. It was just an unfortunate situation, and I did what I felt was right.

And of course, after doing a dissertation to the press about all the good things about amateur athletics, the NCAA, and my institution and those running it, if I was fired for doing the right thing and taking my players out, rather than let that type of sportsmanship be presented on the field with just an oleh and shrug of the shoulders, so be it.

I would not need the NCAA to police my team and their sportsmanship and deportment, I would police it for them.

To just totally ignore and give and oleh to this, just loses my respect for this organization.

If the kids and coaches want to do all that other stuff, just have them all work hard and get drafted and then go do that in the MLB, where they may or may not be able to get away with certain types of conduct and not have as severe a penalty as the amateur. That can be a motivator for the players to make it to MLB. They get to yell at umpires more than they do in the amateur game. This should be a motivator in and of itself.

• Like 2

Video title:  UNC plates game’s first run on disputable call at home

Disputable my ass!  Replay was 100% conclusive - safe!  Great call!

Video title:  UNC plates game’s first run on disputable call at home

Disputable my ass!  Replay was 100% conclusive - safe!  Great call!

Exactly. BS headline. I suppose they could've written "disputed" because it was disputed, but it certainly was not disputable after the fact.

So everyone here saying the PU should have EJ both pitcher and catcher ALSO ejects every time a batter chucks his helmet on a close play at first base right?  I mean you just automatically toss every batter-runner that does that right guys? :shrug:

So everyone here saying the PU should have EJ both pitcher and catcher ALSO ejects every time a batter chucks his helmet on a close play at first base right?  I mean you just automatically toss every batter-runner that does that right guys? :shrug:

If he spikes it near me, absolutely.  Not even a tough decision on my part.

• Like 3

If there is an NCAA directive at the CWS about keeping people in games, it goes against everything they talk about the other 50 weeks of the year. Burleson is a great umpire though, so I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

What is he is spiking his helmet because he is mad at himself for grounding out and nothing to do with your call, he may even agree with your call?

What is he is spiking his helmet because he is mad at himself for grounding out and nothing to do with your call, he may even agree with your call?

Then he'll only make that mistake once.  It's EASY to not get ejected - don't throw your equipment for ANY reason.  Then it can't be misinterpreted.  Remember Greinke last year throwing his glove after a safe call at first where he was covering?  He was ejected even though he claimed he was mad at himself.  Bet he never throws his glove again.

So I never have and never will umpire at that level but here is my 2 cents.  Great call by the umpire and whether or not he was instructed to let things like that happen I applaud him for using discretion and letting the players continue.  It is an elimination game, tension is high and the play was close.  

None of you guys have ever worked hockey in stripes I am guessing.  Four letter words and stick banging are part of the talk track there.

• Like 1

None of you guys have ever worked hockey in stripes I am guessing.  Four letter words and stick banging are part of the talk track there.

You're right.  I've worked hockey, up to and including the collegiate level, and if a little bit of stick-banging and four-letter words rile you, your skin isn't thick enough to be out on the ice.