Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4979 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Anyone have a updated 2013 Study Guide?

 

My exam starts next week and I want to score higher than my normal 72. I'd like to move up from Middle School!

  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Anyone have a updated 2013 Study Guide?

 

My exam starts next week and I want to score higher than my normal 72. I'd like to move up from Middle School!

 

Middle School?????????

Lowest in California is H.S JV

Otherwise they play Little League, PONY or Travel Ball.

Posted

Anyone have a updated 2013 Study Guide?

 

My exam starts next week and I want to score higher than my normal 72. I'd like to move up from Middle School!

 

Middle School?????????

Lowest in California is H.S JV

Otherwise they play Little League, PONY or Travel Ball.

 

 

 

Is that what they do out there in the Peoples Republic of California? 

 

 

 

In my area our Public Middle Schools have every sport except football and baseball, while all private schools have baseball teams but only a few have football teams.

Posted

 

Anyone have a updated 2013 Study Guide?

 

My exam starts next week and I want to score higher than my normal 72. I'd like to move up from Middle School!

 

Middle School?????????

Lowest in California is H.S JV

Otherwise they play Little League, PONY or Travel Ball.

 

 

 

Is that what they do out there in the Peoples Republic of California? 

 

 

 

In my area our Public Middle Schools have every sport except football and baseball, while all private schools have baseball teams but only a few have football teams.

 

Yes

 

Due the under funding and budget problems, there has been talk of the State not even providing funds for JV Programs.

Schools wanting JV Programs would have to find the funds themselves.

Not have funds to transport teams by bus and to play on Saturdays to make it separate from the High School program.

 

Lack of school funds and class size was one of the influencing factors that caused my wife and I to start home schooling.

California school system SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

It is a joy teaching our girls everyday.

They learn so fast with one on one instruction and it barely takes 4 hours a day.

I have a kindergarten and 2nd grader who can now answer 4th grade Earth Science questions because they all get the same material.

Just wish we didn't have to teach California History this year.

That sucks.

Next year U.S History.

 

So between umpiring and home schooling, I don't always have time to make 40+ posts a day on the forum.  :spit:

Most my computer time requires lesson planning and research.

Posted

Both Oregon and Washington middle schools do not have baseball but do play football. Lowest HS is frosh or what we call "C Class" since it is not just freshmen playing at that level. However, a majority of the schools either do not have enough kids to field a C team or do not have the funding for it. Thankfully, most do have a JV team.

Posted

In 'Bama, most middle schools have teams in the big 3 sports. And with Dixie Youth being the prominent park ball system, MS players can play rec as well. It makes for some interesting games. A 13 year old used to throwing from 60'-6" dropping back to 46' can bring the heat.

Posted

When I was in school, yes dirt was forming, we had Jr high baseball, football and basketball. We have gone to a MS system now and part of the schools have MS teams, all private schools have them. We charge he same price for MS as JV. We put new guys there for evaluations and training. The senior umpires work them on the bases to help the younger guys along. 

Posted

We have a middle school program in southern Oregon, though it's funded by the families themselves.  The varsity coaches put the program together as a way to start teaching their philosophy early on and get a smooth transition into HS.  Most of the coaches at the MS level are HS assistants or player parents that know what's expected from up top.

 

Great place for our 1st and 2nd year officials to quickly see every rule in the book in all its live glory. 

 

"Why is that kid...no, no, don't....wait what?  you can't...no..."

Posted

We have a middle school program in southern Oregon, though it's funded by the families themselves.  The varsity coaches put the program together as a way to start teaching their philosophy early on and get a smooth transition into HS.  Most of the coaches at the MS level are HS assistants or player parents that know what's expected from up top.

 

Great place for our 1st and 2nd year officials to quickly see every rule in the book in all its live glory. 

 

"Why is that kid...no, no, don't....wait what?  you can't...no..."

 

 

Oh, Middle School.....  :bang:

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

A lot of middles schools in Jersey have all sports except football and the Pop Warner program takes care of that, just finished Jersey state varsity recert exam I swear they do find some of the most obscure rules in the book to make questions out of.

Posted

A lot of middles schools in Jersey have all sports except football and the Pop Warner program takes care of that, just finished Jersey state varsity recert exam I swear they do find some of the most obscure rules in the book to make questions out of.

If you met the guy who makes up the test, you would understand.

Posted

A lot of middles schools in Jersey have all sports except football and the Pop Warner program takes care of that, just finished Jersey state varsity recert exam I swear they do find some of the most obscure rules in the book to make questions out of.

If you met the guy who makes up the test, you would understand.

I thought this year's NJ test was better written than last year's. Haven't submitted my test yet. We have a study group meeting this weekend then I'll finish it.  Only one question still has me stumped. It's the one about the soft practice ball being used in a game. I'm still searching.

Posted

VA & NC have middle school

 

Well, Some counties if VA do, but not mine

I was going to say, in my area, MS is hit and miss.  Some are officially sanctioned, some are loosely sanctioned (privately run but the school lets them use fields and the uniforms can have school logos), others have none at all.

Posted

 

A lot of middles schools in Jersey have all sports except football and the Pop Warner program takes care of that, just finished Jersey state varsity recert exam I swear they do find some of the most obscure rules in the book to make questions out of.

If you met the guy who makes up the test, you would understand.

I thought this year's NJ test was better written than last year's. Haven't submitted my test yet. We have a study group meeting this weekend then I'll finish it.  Only one question still has me stumped. It's the one about the soft practice ball being used in a game. I'm still searching.

Essentially, he was given one more shot to get it right.  After last year's fiasco, some wanted to go back to each association doing their own, but the majority voted to give the state interp one more shot.  I got a 96 and I remember the question you're talking about.  I don't remember finding it either.

×
×
  • Create New...