List of Chest Protectors worn by active MLB Umpires as of 10/17/2012

Fittske24
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3795 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

We need a webcast CP debate between Fittske24 and Thunderheads.

Heck no, I'm not going to 'debate' anything with the gear pimp. He wants adjustments to his lists, ...I just posted what I thought...I wasn't 100% sure I'd be right.

I understand the confusion because the shoulders on Nelson's look like a Gold/Platinum, but the chest and collarbone plate looks like a Riddell

• Like 1

I'd expect a background check to be run on the poster of the MLB cup pie chart.

I get most (and have worn) most of those. But seeing that they get their choice of any Wilson product, why would one choose a charcoal? Maybe if fits certain body types better than others. I don't know.

And the Champion? I mean, I've bought a few of those for some of my crew, and they're fine for lower level work.

And not one All Star. Interesting. But that's probably due to guys with a long history feeling comfortable in their trusted gear. Witness the K1's.

I get the Carulucci, too. Hot and sweaty, but a lot of guys sported them the year after the master passed on. Even now, that's still a nice gesture.

I cant imagine wearing a K1 for MLB........so I'd have to agree with Kyle, its got to be some emotional attatchment / comfort with their present gear.....now to be honest I own a K1 and wore it for a long time...I still carry it as my back up ...but I would not wear it for any HS varsity level or above.....even now when I do summer rec ball, I still strap up the platinum........

I have both the Gold and a Platinum and love both of them. My gold is fitted with the Delta Flex and my Platinum will be this year. I think what stands out is that the hottest new CPs that everyone went gaga over the last two years, the system 7 and the ultimate are no where to be found on the chart (which is fantastic by the way, thank you). Even if you look on Ump-Attire's website they don't even list the "7" on the level for collegiate and professional protection. To me that was another heads up when I considered the "7" last year. I'm glad I kept my senses and stayed with the tried and true.

No, actually it's probably because there's no one using it at that level that Ump-Attire is aware of. Ump-Attire's listing of 'level of protection' can't be taken as gospel.

They refused to carry the Champion (which is the same as the All-American) and you see this CP on Fittske's list. Look at the "Charcoal" level listing on Ump-Attire's site, ...looks like we have 2 of these floating around the MLB, so .... the "level" listing doesn't mean much

Great job again Fitts. Wanted to clarify that the "Shop by Level" at Ump-Attire.com is not meant to be an indication on whether something is not protective enough at a certain level. It just means that if you umpire this level, these are the ones we have no trouble recommending most for you at that level.

So basically just because the System 7 and Wilson charcoal are missing from our Collegiate to Pro level under protective gear it doesn't mean it's not protective enough there. It just means we'd think you'd be happier with Gold or Platinum if you are umpiring at that level based on what others wear and feedback we receive. In other words, guys standing in front of me whether they are major or minor league guys who try on all the ones mentioned, they almost always go with the Gold or Platinum. The survey bears that out which is reflective of our recommendations. Hope I've clarified this.

http://www.ump-attir...PROTECTIVE_GEAR

• Like 2

I have both the Gold and a Platinum and love both of them. My gold is fitted with the Delta Flex and my Platinum will be this year. I think what stands out is that the hottest new CPs that everyone went gaga over the last two years, the system 7 and the ultimate are no where to be found on the chart (which is fantastic by the way, thank you). Even if you look on Ump-Attire's website they don't even list the "7" on the level for collegiate and professional protection. To me that was another heads up when I considered the "7" last year. I'm glad I kept my senses and stayed with the tried and true.

No, actually it's probably because there's no one using it at that level that Ump-Attire is aware of. Ump-Attire's listing of 'level of protection' can't be taken as gospel.

They refused to carry the Champion (which is the same as the All-American) and you see this CP on Fittske's list. Look at the "Charcoal" level listing on Ump-Attire's site, ...looks like we have 2 of these floating around the MLB, so .... the "level" listing doesn't mean much

Great job again Fitts. Wanted to clarify that the "Shop by Level" at Ump-Attire.com is not meant to be an indication on whether something is not protective enough at a certain level. It just means that if you umpire this level, these are the ones we have no trouble recommending most for you at that level.

So basically just because the System 7 and Wilson charcoal are missing from our Collegiate to Pro level under protective gear it doesn't mean it's not protective enough there. It just means we'd think you'd be happier with Gold or Platinum if you are umpiring at that level based on what others wear and feedback we receive. In other words, guys standing in front of me whether they are major or minor league guys who try on all the ones mentioned, they almost always go with the Gold or Platinum. The survey bears that out which is reflective of our recommendations. Hope I've clarified this.

http://www.ump-attir...PROTECTIVE_GEAR

Ken = Resident gear pimp

Jim = GPIC

From Joe West's website. Find the flaw in the statement:

All three protectors have open cell foam covered by the hard outer plastic for absorbing the blow from a foul tip or even a bat that has been thrown in the umpires direction (they have been tested on professional football players for strength and durability) .

• 2 weeks later...

A few corrections from the above listing:

1 Bruce Dreckman -Vintage West Vest Gold
- I believe he wears the All-American/Champion

9 Brian Gorman -Wilson Charcoal 
- Riddell Power with TW Retrofit

13 Derryl Cousins -All American
- It looks like a really really old ribbed protector

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gp/144133807.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=Z0zsWpN2ukUDXYqF4boPJdwQl7Xwa5HJnYiv91HUtXOvUv5xTn0RPAR3nbFLrFoi

16 Mike DiMuro -Wilson Charcoal 
- Wilson Platinum

19 Ed Rapuano -Vintage West Vest Gold
- Riddell Power (black)

20 Tom Hallion -Wilson Charcoal 
- Riddell Power

21 Hunter Wendelstedt- Riddell Power
- This was discussed before, its a really old protector.  Ill try to find the thread.

25 Fieldin Culbreth -Wilson Charcoal 
- Riddell Power

28 Jim Wolf -Douglas
- Used to wear a Douglas, but currently wears a Power

33 Mike Winters -West Vest Platinum
- Riddell Power

45 Jeff Nelson -West Vest Platinum
- Riddell Power (TW Retrofit)

47 Mark Wegner -West Vest Gold
- Wegner wears a modified protector that uses the Gold plastic.  This was discussed before somewhere.  I think there is a pic floating around.

54 CB Bucknor -Vintage West Vest Gold
- Riddell Power

56 Eric Cooper -West Vest Platinum
- Riddell Power

63 Laz Diaz -West Vest Platinum
- Sported the Gold this year.  Has worn the Platinum in the past.

68 Chris Guccione -Original Douglas
- Chris wears a Riddell Power

72 Alfonso Marquez -Vintage West Vest Gold
- Fonzie wears a black Riddell Power

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/gp/144133807.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=Z0zsWpN2ukUDXYqF4boPJdwQl7Xwa5HJnYiv91HUtXOvUv5xTn0RPAR3nbFLrFoi

- Wilson Platinum

- Riddell Power (black)

- Riddell Power

- This was discussed before, its a really old protector.  Ill try to find the thread.

- Riddell Power

28 Jim Wolf -Douglas

- Riddell Power

- Wegner wears a modified protector that uses the Gold plastic.  This was discussed before somewhere.  I think there is a pic floating around.

- Riddell Power

- Riddell Power

I will have to verify these but. I have confirmed that there is no Black riddell power. I was under the impression that riddell had made a black prior to joe west breaking ties with riddell. The Vintage west vest gold, closely resembles the riddell power. Thus is often confused to be a black power.

I will have to verify these but. I have confirmed that there is no Black riddell power. I was under the impression that riddell had made a black prior to joe west breaking ties with riddell. The Vintage west vest gold, closely resembles the riddell power. Thus is often confused to be a black power.

There was a member of the board in another post indicating they knew somebody with a black Power.

The Team Wendy video with Rapuano doesn't look like a old Gold to me. He talks about having a shoulder flap added to his because of a collarbone injury. All the old Golds had that, I believe.

Those protectors on Marquez and Rapuano certainly don't fit the "profile" of the old WV Golds, either IMO

• Like 1

There was a member of the board in another post indicating they knew somebody with a black Power.

The Team Wendy video with Rapuano doesn't look like a old Gold to me. He talks about having a shoulder flap added to his because of a collarbone injury. All the old Golds had that, I believe.

Those protectors on Marquez and Rapuano certainly don't fit the "profile" of the old WV Golds, either IMO

That member on the board was me. Rap's CP is a Vintage Wilson that has been heavily modified. You have to understand that guys like Rap were around when Cowboy Joe was designing these so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some prototypes handed out that didn't have all of the features that the current models have. I'll find a few pics that show the Wilson design aspects of Marquez and Rap's CP.....

That member on the board was me. Rap's CP is a Vintage Wilson that has been heavily modified. You have to understand that guys like Rap were around when Cowboy Joe was designing these so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some prototypes handed out that didn't have all of the features that the current models have. I'll find a few pics that show the Wilson design aspects of Marquez and Rap's CP.....

Cool! Would love to see that, thanks! (I'm a dork lol)

Cool! Would love to see that, thanks! (I'm a dork lol)

I'm a dork

Agreed :D

- Wilson Platinum

- Riddell Power (black)

- Riddell Power

- Riddell Power

28 Jim Wolf -Douglas

- Riddell Power

- Riddell Power

- Riddell Power

Pics?

Pics?

Here are the pics. The pic on top is a pic of my Vintage WV made by Wilson. Below it is a Power. Notice how the Wilson looks almost identical to the Power minus a few slight differences. The WV utilized T-Hooks that connected in front of the CP. The Power uses J clips (like on a catchers CP) that connect on the sides. Notice that Rap's and Fonzi's CP have the T-Hook opening's as pointed out in the picture.

rap_fonzi_CP.png

Pics?

Here are the pics. The pic on top is a pic of my Vintage WV made by Wilson. Below it is a Power. Notice how the Wilson looks almost identical to the Power minus a few slight differences. The WV utilized T-Hooks that connected in front of the CP. The Power uses J clips (like on a catchers CP) that connect on the sides. Notice that Rap's and Fonzi's CP have the T-Hook opening's as pointed out in the picture.

rap_fonzi_CP.png

The lower profile of Fonzie's & Rap's more closely match a Power than the original WV Gold which is quite bulky.

In the Team Wendy video, Rap also mentions that his had a shoulder flap added after breaking his collarbone. The gray padding on Fonzie's also resembles the Power's padding.

72338119-major-league-umpire-alfonso-mar

It is interesting to note that the Riddell Power doesnt have t-hooks but has regular hooks.

Also found this old thread, check out what Dave said:

http://umpire-empire...hest-protector/

These old pics of the Cowboy wearing what looks like a vintage West Vest Gold looks like Fonzie's & Raps, though:

57631160-manager-phil-garner-and-russ-sp74365319-home-plate-umpire-joe-west-poin74060749-umpire-joe-west-officiates-the-

• Like 1

The lower profile of Fonzie's & Rap's more closely match a Power than the original WV Gold which is quite bulky.

The Vintage WV is not bulky at all. Even with the OEM padding the Vintage WV is half the thickness of the Present WV Gold. The Vintage WV retrofitted with TW padding, is one of the thinnest you can wear.

In the Team Wendy video, Rap also mentions that his had a shoulder flap added after breaking his collarbone. The gray padding on Fonzie's also resembles the Power's padding.

I don't think Fonzie's pad is gray. I actually think that is a black pad that has been sweat stained. As far as the shoulder flaps Rap speaks of in the video.... Rap did wear a Riddell power back in 2008 and 2009 (possibly long before that...See third Pic below) So in the old thread you mention, that would explain why he said he wore a power back in 2008 .

The biggest knock on the power was the lack of shoulder gap protection, and as the padding aged, the umpire would feel shots more. Especially where there were gaps. Some umpires had gap protection added to their powers ala the added flap over the shoulder (If you ask me I would bet moony this is where cowboy Joe got the idea from). And some would get new padding made which eventually lead to the relationship with TW. Rap might have been speaking about a modification to his old power that he no longer uses. It's not uncommon for an umpire to have several different CP's Here is rap in 3 different CP's:

rap_CP.png

Thats Paul Nauert in the 2009 pic.

Why do your posts show up in all black?

nope thats rapuano

Wanna bet? It was tagged wrong by whoever took it.

To remove the watermark,

sign in or register.

(Some images may still show a watermark. Images may not be used without a license.)

90443137-home-plate-umpire-ed-rapuano-to

Title:

Boston Red Sox v Tampa Bay Rays

Caption: ST. PETERSBURG, FL - SEPTEMBER 1: Home plate umpire Ed Rapuano #19 tosses a baseball as the Tampa Bay Rays host the Boston Red Sox September 1, 2009 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images) Date created: 01 Sep 2009 Editorial image #: 90443137 Restrictions: No commercial or wireless uses without permission. Contact your local office. License type: Rights-managed Photographer:

Al Messerschmidt/Contributor

Collection:

Getty Images Sport

Credit: Getty Images Max file size/dimensions/dpi: 19.3 MB - 3000 x 2250 px (10.00 x 7.50 in.) - 300 dpi

Download file size may vary. Source: Getty Images North America Release information: Not released. More information Object name: D066738018.jpg Copyright: 2009 Al Messerschmidt Keywords: Hosting, Sport, Horizontal, Baseball, Referee, USA, Throwing, Florida - USA, St. Petersburg - Florida, Home Base, Boston Red Sox, Baseball, Major League Baseball, Ed Rapuano, Tropicana Field, American League, Tampa Bay Rays. Find similar images

Rapuano was on that crew with West, Schrieber & Nauert. Nauert worked the plate that day and the photo is of him, not Rap.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=290901130&teams=boston-red-sox-vs-tampa-bay-rays