Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5144 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

He is calling pitches before they get to the catcher

Yep, noticed that too....and why does the 1B ump do the 'turn your fist inward and sky point" on out calls? Is that same robotic softball mechanic required on bases as well?

Posted

Yeah, HPs timing was terrible. Rich should've been there.

Posted

Last year there was an ump with a balloon chest protector... I consider mismatching uniforms an improvment. :P

Most associations have stricter requirements than this how come this is allowed??????

Posted

He is calling pitches before they get to the catcher

Yep, noticed that too....and why does the 1B ump do the 'turn your fist inward and sky point" on out calls? Is that same robotic softball mechanic required on bases as well?

he also took a few plays from foul territory. Nothing special just routine grinders to Ss.
Posted

Last year there was an ump with a balloon chest protector... I consider mismatching uniforms an improvment. :P

Most associations have stricter requirements than this how come this is allowed??????

Balloons are used in LL - better protection against LL regular season quality catchers - get over it.

We have guys that wouldn't use an inside protector if we bought them one. Wait - we do buy their protector of choice for them.

In the volunteer ranks, each league runs their own show - there is no association to set up dress codes.

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm watching the LLWS Tennessee Nebraska game on ESPN right now. The umpires are in polo blue and the PU is wearing a grey ball bag. Really???

LL provides the uniforms.

MLB umpires have a light blue shirt in their inventory too - going to diaparage them too?

  • Like 1
Posted

Last year there was an ump with a balloon chest protector... I consider mismatching uniforms an improvment. :P

Most associations have stricter requirements than this how come this is allowed??????

Balloons are used in LL - better protection against LL regular season quality catchers - get over it.

We have guys that wouldn't use an inside protector if we bought them one. Wait - we do buy their protector of choice for them.

In the volunteer ranks, each league runs their own show - there is no association to set up dress codes.

I get using a balloon in a 10yo ll game (would not use one but I understand). But in a LLWS game on TV? The balloon has been of tv since 1985. Don't bring it back.

Posted

I'm watching the LLWS Tennessee Nebraska game on ESPN right now. The umpires are in polo blue and the PU is wearing a grey ball bag. Really???

LL provides the uniforms.

MLB umpires have a light blue shirt in their inventory too - going to diaparage them too?

I wasn't saying anything about the polo blue short I was saying that the grey ball bag was ridiculous.

Posted

In kiddie ball, i can say that I probably would also use a balloon...but not in Williamsport. BUT...since I will never be in W-port, those guys will always have one up on me when we whip them out to measure.

  • Like 1
Posted

I'll address what Rich Ives posted above:

(1) The LLWS is not local Little League. Our local leagues use teenagers wearing balloons for a lot of league games. Once we get to District play, the umpires are expected to umpire at a certain level and dress a certain way. We would not use an umpire in the All Star tournament who used a raft. We would not allow someone to umpire with shins outside the pants or not in a complete uniform.

(2) Just as teams have to prove they are the best in Districts/Sectionals/State before they get to Regionals, it isn't an unreasonable expectation that Regional umpires be the best of those who work Districts/Sectionals/State. A WS assignment shouldn't be given out as a gold watch for XX number of years of volunteering for a local league. Again, this is just my opinion, and that isn't worth much of anything.

I'll say this. When I went to Indianapolis, I knew I'd be working 3 games on TV. My pants were taken to the dry cleaners before I left for the week and I made sure they were properly pressed. Hell, I had them pressed again when I was down there. My shoes shone when I went on the field. I made sure everything I wore reflected positively on me, my district, the region, and on LL.

It's not too much to ask. It's also not hard to look good in a properly fitting, clean, pressed uniform. I get that we're going to see guys who are very quick behind the plate (we saw a few today) and sketchy mechanics -- some of that is because these guys are *amped up*. Trust me, I know that feeling. Hell, I had tears in my eyes when they played the anthem before my game last Friday I was so amped up knowing that my wife, kid, and a ton of other people were watching.

And these guys *are* volunteers. I don't expect to see all of them work at the same level as the HS/college guys I work with on a regular basis. Many of the umpires I met there last week work *nothing but* LL. A few have never worked on anything but a 60' diamond, even.

But looking good isn't hard *if* you want to work regionals or the LLWS. Not everyone will get to do those tourneys and that's OK. It's unlikely I'll ever get to WP even with a regional behind me. Only 16 umpires get to do it each year, after all.

  • Like 7
Posted

All of our guys that work districts and above are great umpires. All umpire HS and above. We all police our group to look sharp. I have not made a regional yet but hope to in the future.

Sent from my GNex while laying in bed

Posted

I'll address what Rich Ives posted above:

(1) The LLWS is not local Little League. Our local leagues use teenagers wearing balloons for a lot of league games. Once we get to District play, the umpires are expected to umpire at a certain level and dress a certain way. We would not use an umpire in the All Star tournament who used a raft. We would not allow someone to umpire with shins outside the pants or not in a complete uniform.

(2) Just as teams have to prove they are the best in Districts/Sectionals/State before they get to Regionals, it isn't an unreasonable expectation that Regional umpires be the best of those who work Districts/Sectionals/State. A WS assignment shouldn't be given out as a gold watch for XX number of years of volunteering for a local league. Again, this is just my opinion, and that isn't worth much of anything.

I'll say this. When I went to Indianapolis, I knew I'd be working 3 games on TV. My pants were taken to the dry cleaners before I left for the week and I made sure they were properly pressed. Hell, I had them pressed again when I was down there. My shoes shone when I went on the field. I made sure everything I wore reflected positively on me, my district, the region, and on LL.

It's not too much to ask. It's also not hard to look good in a properly fitting, clean, pressed uniform. I get that we're going to see guys who are very quick behind the plate (we saw a few today) and sketchy mechanics -- some of that is because these guys are *amped up*. Trust me, I know that feeling. Hell, I had tears in my eyes when they played the anthem before my game last Friday I was so amped up knowing that my wife, kid, and a ton of other people were watching.

And these guys *are* volunteers. I don't expect to see all of them work at the same level as the HS/college guys I work with on a regular basis. Many of the umpires I met there last week work *nothing but* LL. A few have never worked on anything but a 60' diamond, even.

But looking good isn't hard *if* you want to work regionals or the LLWS. Not everyone will get to do those tourneys and that's OK. It's unlikely I'll ever get to WP even with a regional behind me. Only 16 umpires get to do it each year, after all.

Thanks, this all needed to be said. I work only Little League and have for FREE for the last 7 years. I only have one ball bag, black. I mostly only get 2 new balls per game to use. I am lucky that my day job supplies me all I need in salary, so working for the love of the sport is what I do. I have never started a season saying, "Boy I hope I make the LLWS's"! I don't do it for that, but I am proud of the men and woman who make it.

I am sure they are VERY nervous. I have also said before that many of them have probably never worked with a 6 person team EVER!! (God knows I never have)

So give them some space, they pay their own way there, usually pay for the season uniforms and equipment on their own.(Though I am sure some leagues pay) They do it for the love of the game. :rose: :rantoff:

Posted

Guys I did not intend to blast LL umpires. (I work many district and sectional freebies) My only point at the beginning of this thread was that no one who works a televised baseball game should be wearing a grey ball bag.

Posted

Guys I did not intend to blast LL umpires. (I work many district and sectional freebies) My only point at the beginning of this thread was that no one who works a televised baseball game should be wearing a grey ball bag.

No one should be wearing a grey ball bag period! :shakehead:

Posted

Grey is actually fairly common here in Ohio, though usually - but not exclusively - at lower levels. The only two colors approved for school ball are grey or navy blue. So a lot of newer umps go with grey.

Personally, if they perfectly match the pants, I think it looks fine.

Posted

Guys I did not intend to blast LL umpires. (I work many district and sectional freebies) My only point at the beginning of this thread was that no one who works a televised baseball game should be wearing a grey ball bag.

No one should be wearing a grey ball bag period! :shakehead:

Agreed.

Posted

Navy ball bag(s) with navy red white and powder. Black ball bag(s) with Creme black grey and polo. Grey never.

Posted

Love it 21 posts on attire and 1+ comment on mechanics. Priorities are set! :shakehead:

  • Like 1
Posted

Speaking of mechanics, I wasn't a fan of PU's ball/strike mechanics in the West/New England game yesterday. Very quick on the verbal, and then very slow on the hammer (which was lazy too). Coming up slow and lazy with your hammer after calling the pitch almost simultaneous with the ball popping the glove is NOT good timing. Besides, softball mechanics should be kept on the softball field.

×
×
  • Create New...