Is it like this everywhere?

ump570
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4202 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I've been umpiring for 3 years now, and until 2 weeks ago, I only had 1 ejection. Recently, I took a job doing travel tournaments on weekends. I work anywhere from 6 to 13 games every weekend, and I've had 2 ejections in the last 2 weeks. This weekend Friday and Saturday were quiet. No problems with coaches, players, etc. Well Sunday comes, and we're getting deeper into the bracket and tensions are high. A ball is hit down the left field line, I'm PU. I get to the line, set my left foot up on the 3rd base line, perfect position to read the ball. The ball slices about 6 feet foul, not even close. 3rd base coach who is also manager says, "That's bullSH*#! That was fair." I didn't hook him yet, and he walks toward me, I say, "You can question the call, but watch the language." This is 14U ball. He then says loud enough for everyone to hear, "That's the worst f----in' call I've every seen! Whoosh! I hook him. In the next game, the semi-final, I'm doing bases 2 man mechanics. The OT had R1 at first, ground ball hit to 3rd, 3rd baseman throws to second, R1 beats the throw to second, and I call the kid safe. Lady in the crowd starts screaming, "It was a force play! It was a force play!" Followed by the typical, "You're the worst yada yada!" I just ignored it. After the game, their coach comes up to me and says, "You did a great job all weekend, but you missed 2 at second base that gave them the game. I tell him, "That's fine coach, we'll agree to disagree on the calls, but thanks for the input." I smile and walk away. I inquire with my partner about the calls. He's umpired for 20+ years and tells me that he thought both calls were correct. Finally, I'm getting in my car, and the same woman comes up in my face shouting, "I'm calling the tournament president, you're going to be out of a job. You don't even know what a force play is!" I just smile and tell her to enjoy her weekend and I drive away. I can't help but wonder, "Is this what travel ball is like everywhere?" I've umped Ripken ball 9-12, Babe Ruth 14-16 all the way up to Senior Legion and i've never had incidents like I have with travel ball. Do you guys have similar experiences?

When you do tournaments, you're bound to get some team that is just LOADED with cry-babies! Count on it. Usually this team has been screwed recently by either a bad call, or a call that they don't understand that didn't go their way.

It just comes w/ the territory.

6ft foul, and the coach came unglued ???? that's odd

I thought it was odd as well. My partner and I came to the conclusion that he wanted to get hooked to get his team going. They were losing at the time and were big underdogs and maybe he was trying to do something to turn the momentum around. Unfortunately for him, it didn't work. I think even the kids saw that the call was right. I didn't get a peep from his fans or his kids on the call. Usually, when a coach gets rung, you hear all kinds of chirping from everybody on the coach's side.

My answer to the OP question is that's my experience also. What I've learned:

1) Local league 10U games are where you learn first hand about obstruction, interference, and all sorts of weird happenings.

2) Tournaments are where you learn first hand about game management and ejections.

Some tournament coaches will give you the answer to why they are behaving the way the do --- their arguments will include phrases like, "We've driven all these miles..." or "We've paid all this money..." In the heat of the argument they give away why they think they deserve a call, or more calls. But, of course, their reasons are irrelevant. I actually ejected a head coach after he used that argument (miles), and would not stop arguing his case when I told him his reasoning was irrelevant and "that's enough."

• Like 3

I have had my share of trouble, and yes it picks up as the tournaments get tighter. I have had my share of mothers telling me they know the rules, I just laugh at them and say thanks for their input.

Like others have said, 6 feet is tough even for a 3rd base rat to miss. I think you handled his ejection perfectly!

1) Local league 10U games are where you learn first hand about obstruction, interference, and all sorts of weird happenings.

2) Tournaments are where you learn first hand about game management and ejections.

Some tournament coaches will give you the answer to why they are behaving the way the do --- their arguments will include phrases like, "We've driven all these miles..." or "We've paid all this money..." In the heat of the argument they give away why they think they deserve a call, or more calls. But, of course, their reasons are irrelevant. I actually ejected a head coach after he used that argument (miles), and would not stop arguing his case when I told him his reasoning was irrelevant and "that's enough."

I like, " These kids have been working so hard." Ever heard that one?

• Like 1

I'm impressed with your poise in your situation. I think you did very well. More patience than I would have had. Someone comes out on me at my car, that's a huge nono. The same goes for me with USSSA. I'VE DRIVEN, WE PAID BLAH BLAH BLAH. We have our games at Big League Dreams that have a full bar to get tanked up on. Lots of fun.

Yeah, I've heard that one also! Here's the perfect answer: "Oh yeah? So then why do you think it's acceptable to scream at them like you do?" (It's a perfect answer, but I have to confess I've never used it.)

Managers, coaches and parents are worse if there's no governing body (i.e. local league, backed up by national rules) to sit on them. In fact, that's how many travel managers get there start, They get booted from their local league.

• Like 2

I do a couple tournaments every year, 6-12 games a weekend, like the OP. My typical experience is that you may have an idiot in pool play who has to be tossed. Often times those guys will come back later in the weekend and be nice. They just have to test the limits of the umpiring and see what they are dealing with (or they are just too green to know better). Those are the kinds of ejections that result in apologies at future plate meetings and no future issues.

Then there are the guys who are jerks in pool play, but don't typically say enough to get tossed Thursday or Friday. Then the bracket play begins and they are usually tossed for boiling over on Saturday. By Sunday my experience is that 90% of the teams remaining (i.e. most years all the teams still playing) are class acts and the semi's and championship game are a pleasure to do with very good baseball and even better manners.

There are times like the OP where it seems a coach is trying to get his team fired up by getting the old heave-ho. There are other times where the coach has just seen enough and wants to go to the heat/air conditioning in his car. These are the two I have run up against most when three is a call that is clearly right but argued anyway. But yes, these guys seem more prevalent in travel ball. I think it is the lack of long term consequences. Most leagues have suspensions after the ejection and this prevents people from getting them, as some of these can be stiff and can escalate mattering on how many they have in the season. However, most tournaments I work in have the only consequence be that they have to sit out the rest of that game, meaning that they might be more willing to take an ejection.

"You mean they are somehow working harder than I am back here." The only ones working hard on the field are the plate umpire and both catchers. The rest of them are all goldbrickers playing a game. I don't even want to hear from the BU that he's working hard!

I had no ejections and no warnings through two and a half years of doing rec ball. I start travel tournaments and I get 2 ejections and probably 4 more warnings over two weekends.

Those teams pay lots of dough on registrations, equipments, coaches, and instructors, and it makes them think they are better than everyone. When that team starts losing their guaranteed three or four games, they start bitching and moaning at anything they can.

• 2 months later...

Ha! That's true! Another reason that their argument is meaningless.

I have no games this weekend, but 9th-11th I'll be out of state calling a 160 team 3 day tourney. Around 20 games.

Can you say, "CHA-CHING!" boys and girls?

Ha! That's true! Another reason that their argument is meaningless.

I have no games this weekend, but 9th-11th I'll be out of state calling a 160 team 3 day tourney. Around 20 games.

Can you say, "CHA-CHING!" boys and girls?

Holy Cow!