Anyone See This?

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4333 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A couple things....

1) How the hell can the PU see anything!? His head is below the catchers!!

2) F1 needs to be ejected for that fit he throws.

3) Probably should have been out for being out of his baseline AND for batters interference.

I don't see BI. He can't disappear after he tries to bunt. He doesn't try to get in the way.

I done see running out of his baseline. He looked like he kept his upper buddy (arms) inside the 3 foot.

But it is a horrible stance by the Umpire. Is this HS?

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ He hit the flo, next thing ya know, shawty got low, low, low...way too low!:)

Looks like he ran about 4 to 5 feet on his spin-around move from where he was when the catcher first tried to tag him, so I agree he went more than 3 feet. The catcher laid out and still couldn't tag him. Great camera work at the end there...gave it the old Blair Witch Project feel. :fuel:

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ He hit the flo, next thing ya know, shawty got low, low, low...way too low! :)

Looks like he ran about 4 to 5 feet on his spin-around move from where he was when the catcher first tried to tag him, so I agree he went more than 3 feet. The catcher laid out and still couldn't tag him. Great camera work at the end there...gave it the old Blair Witch Project feel. :fuel:

There were two tag attempts. Catcher's first attempt was pretty much straight up 3BL including his reach and the dodge to the side was marginal. Given the direction of the reach, it didn't take much of a dodge to avoid the tag attempt.

The second attempt required a new "his" baseline and I think that one was OK because the runner was pretty much past the catcher at the time.

Catcher should have waited at the plate instead of going up the line.

Looks like artificial dirt around home plate. If it's anything like running track material the slide can scrape off a lot of skin.

I used to do the lean over, and an instructor told me "you spent all that money on a chest protector and now are not using it." From then I focused and don't do it anymore.

For the two tone field turf field, Virginia Tech just put one in this year, and wow, it is fast for runners. But I think after awhile, they adjust (it is funny that all the plate umpire is doing with the brush is getting rid of the black rubber pellets). The only dirt on their field now is the mound.

For the play, I can't see two tag plays, seems like one play, with two attempts. I think I would of banged him for out of baseline.

I don't see BI. He can't disappear after he tries to bunt. He doesn't try to get in the way.

I done see running out of his baseline. He looked like he kept his upper buddy (arms) inside the 3 foot.

I think I'd call him out of his basepath.

I can see BI here. Batter makes no attempt to vacate.....

7.3.5 (d) failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate a congested area when there is a throw to home plate and there is time for the batter to move

away.

To go along with that stance, he's got his indicator in his right hand. :wow:

Wow, ive seen some nice fields but ive never seen one were the dirt isnt real. So is that just dirt colored black balls like the ones in the grass? Ive saw the fake dirt like around the warning tracks, but cant figure the dirt and sliding aspect of this

Anytime i do a game on those fields i spend 20 good minutes after the game getting those balls out of my shoes. But i love the fields, so much more comfy ecspecially on long football games.

For the call: its easier to sit and rewind, watch in slow mo and then make a call. I would say in real time, and heat of the moment I make the same call he did. Hes not majorly out of the line. He seems to change directions, and then when he steps around he takes a step right behind the batters box. Hes close enough that he doesnt have to slide to the plate, but hes close enough to stretch out and reach the plate. I almost think hes never outside the 3 foot path.

This might be a simple question but, when you create your basepath can it change? For instance if you get in a run down does your original path count, or does it change each time you change directions?

Last thing im going to say: you gotta get that bunt down

^^^

This might be a simple question but, when you create your basepath can it change? For instance if you get in a run down does your original path count, or does it change each time you change directions?

Yes, no, yes. In that order.

Thanks steve, so when he stops and makes a turn to go back then starts back towards home is this now his new path? So no way hes out of his 3 foot path, he takes one step to the right and falls on the plate.

Edit: ok after re watching a few times I no longer agree with myself. I assumed (should never do) he was running down in foul territory like hes supposed to be. But after closer looks hes actually running either on the line or a step in fair territory. Also he never really completley turns and goes back to third, he just stops, twist, then takes the step to the right and falls on the plate.

So my slow mo call: hes out of the base path, however in the heat of the moment i cant say I would of called it that way.

I think I'd call him out of his basepath.

I can see <acronym title='Batter’s interference'>BI </acronym>here. Batter makes no attempt to vacate.....

7.3.5 (d) failing to make a reasonable effort to vacate a congested area when there is a throw to home plate and there is time for the batter to move

away.

To go along with that stance, he's got his indicator in his right hand. :wow:

7.3.5.d has nothing to do with this play.

This is a squeeze play. No need to vacate.

A suicide squeeze is not bad baseball. That is a horrible suicide squeeze. It is like a hit and run. You attempt contact on every pitch of a suicide squeeze. He didn't.

Yes, the umpire essentially rewarded the offense for a botched suicide squeeze attempt.

No violation for BI or for runners lane in my opinion and theres no rewarding the offense for the botched squeeze as Steve says. Heck calling the out could be rewarding the defense for a botched tag attempt.

What do you mean by "runners lane?" I am unfamiliar with this term in regards to the 3rd base line.

No violation for BI or for runners lane in my opinion and theres no rewarding the offense for the botched squeeze as Steve says. Heck calling the out could be rewarding the defense for a botched tag attempt.

What do you mean by "runners lane?" I am unfamiliar with this term in regards to the 3rd base line.

I meant base path sorry for the confusion.

I absolutely don't have BI, doubtful on the out of the baseline. He definitely was OK on the first attempt, OK on the second attempt from where he was after the first attempt. If he had gone from his original spot to where he ended up, then yes, he was more than three feet. The problem is the catcher made an attempt which caused the runner to stop and move to he right. Then the catcher made another attempt that caused him to move again. Two attempts, two avoids, no BI and no OOBL.

Suppose the catcher tried to go "through" the batter instead of going around him. BI then? Or is it similar to when a runner is stealing 3rd. Don't move or do anything to try and get in the way and you are OK.

I'm punching him out for being out of the BL all day. That call looks pretty easy. Also that whole play was just bad baseball.

A suicide squeeze is bad baseball?

No, suicide squeeze is NOT bad baseball. What I think Grif was saying was poor execution and ugly play in general.
  • Like 1