Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4920 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

So, these cooling vests. I routinely work 3-4 games on a weekend for tourneys. They're one man games, so I get all the plates. 1 hr 45 min time limits, games every 2 hours. I'm guessing I would need two vests, change every game or two games?

Tough to say, you could alternate games too.

Posted

So, these cooling vests. I routinely work 3-4 games on a weekend for tourneys. They're one man games, so I get all the plates. 1 hr 45 min time limits, games every 2 hours. I'm guessing I would need two vests, change every game or two games?

I would just buy the packs. Double the cooling time than the vest.

Posted

Here's my cooling devices--two of them. Fill with ice in the morning, keep refilling with water throughout the day, and you'll still have ice water after the 3rd game in the afternoon as long as you keep them out of the sun. $19.99 apiece. Go with the polished or regular steel--the colored "enamel" on the others will eventually scratch to show metal anyway. A great Texas company--and hands down the best insulated water bottles I've used.

http://www.thinksportbottles.com/products.html

Posted

a cooler with Florida water.. is better than all of these...

Problem one with using a ice pack.. is you can put your body into a schock.. if you skin is really hot and you add an ice pack it can do more harm than good..

The rite temp pads are at a degree that will cool your body not freeze it...

the cooler with florida water is only a rag/ small towel you use to wipe your neck, arms, and head down. much easier and cheaper..IMHO

Posted

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/topic/38682-anyone-seen-this-yet/

A right temp option

Posted

You can make your own for cheap. Water+spirits of ammonia. Dilute it ALOT.

Posted

Ingredients for ammonia water and use:

2oz. bottle of "Spiritsof Ammonia"(local drugstore) Actually it's Aromatic Ammonia Spirit U.S.P. 3 bottles make 4 gallons 1 gal. plastic bucket (some use a playmatetype cooler). About 4-7 washcloths.

Fill bucket 1/2 full of ice, pour 3/4 bottle of "spirits of ammonia" into bucket for each gallon, fillthe rest of bucket with water and mix. Placewashcloths into bucket and stir around a couple of times. When player comes off field and into dugout area, pick up washcloth, wring out excess and wipe down arms, face (DON'T suck on washcloth), neck (front and back), shoulders, chest, etc. It really is effectivewhileheld on backof neck, especially "catchers" and "pitchers". And please don't inhale to a great degree, only mildly. Do this between innings. Next day, team will be asking for it.

If players are young, coaches should help them. Please don't let them DRINK it!!!!

I googled "spirits of ammonia uses" and found this

Posted

It gets hot here too, but, can't you just hydrate before, during and after and be just fine? It's summer, you're supposed to sweat.

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

This summer has been one of the hottest on record in norhteast Ohio. We've had several guys go down due to the heat. I'm on BP medication so I am definitely vulnerable. Picked up the Rite Temp cooling vest in the beginning of July and wished I had heard of it much earlier. It will completely discharge in 1:30 to 1:45 in 100 degree heat, but it does me good enough to where I can easily make it through a long game in that kind of weather. I definitely recommend it.

Posted

This summer has been one of the hottest on record in norhteast Ohio. We've had several guys go down due to the heat. I'm on BP medication so I am definitely vulnerable. Picked up the Rite Temp cooling vest in the beginning of July and wished I had heard of it much earlier. It will completely discharge in 1:30 to 1:45 in 100 degree heat, but it does me good enough to where I can easily make it through a long game in that kind of weather. I definitely recommend it.

Exactly. It won't last you the entire game, but if it gets you through half, it's only half the time your core has to endure the elements.

  • 8 months later...
Posted

Bringing an old topic back to life.

 

I do plan on getting one of these products.  Conflicted between buying the vest or the pads.  Probably leaning towards the vest cause it seems that changing the pads could be an annoyance.  Especially if the vest can give you three hours.  I don't work any nine inning games, so I'm usually done within 2:15 tops.

Posted

Bringing an old topic back to life.

 

I do plan on getting one of these products.  Conflicted between buying the vest or the pads.  Probably leaning towards the vest cause it seems that changing the pads could be an annoyance.  Especially if the vest can give you three hours.  I don't work any nine inning games, so I'm usually done within 2:15 tops.

Trust me get the pads. I haven't gotten the vest to last more than a hour or so. And at least with the pads they can be removed once their charge is done. With the vest you will have to remove clothes to pull it off. If the charge goes out in the middle of the inning, you will be forced to keep that extra layer on more than likely making you 2X as hot in the process.

Posted

Bringing an old topic back to life.

 

I do plan on getting one of these products.  Conflicted between buying the vest or the pads.  Probably leaning towards the vest cause it seems that changing the pads could be an annoyance.  Especially if the vest can give you three hours.  I don't work any nine inning games, so I'm usually done within 2:15 tops.

 

I second the pads!

Posted

Grab the pads and don't look back! I used mine for the first time yesterday and will be sporting them today in my DH. Awesome product!

Posted

Almost wore a pad yesterday...kind of humid...today it is about 40. But no game for me...Gotta love Texas weather.

Posted

Almost wore a pad yesterday...kind of humid...today it is about 40. But no game for me...Gotta love Texas weather.

We had the same out this way. I was thinking the other day that I should probably start using a pad soon. Today I would've needed a jacket if I had a game.

×
×
  • Create New...