Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4919 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I take it then the vest is not too bulky underneath the CP?

I'm going to try the pads first and see how they work. I may get the vest for football season down the road.

Hey Welpe,

I take it that it's not ...but I'll let JohnnyG come in and tell us ....

I just don't see the logic in the pads if there's the possibility of them slipping when the vest is more secure and not bulky and the same price,,.....make sense?

Posted

I see the logic. Two pads versus one vest and easier to switch out during the game. :)

Based upon how the back of the fabric is, a modification with some velcro should not be too difficult at all.

Posted

I see the logic. Two pads versus one vest and easier to switch out during the game. :)

Based upon how the back of the fabric is, a modification with some velcro should not be too difficult at all.

That's true .....

So, how will you attach velcro to the inside of your CP?

Posted

I don't know yet but to the padding somehow. I don't even know if it's needed yet, I need to work a plate so I can try the pad out.

Posted

I don't know yet but to the padding somehow. I don't even know if it's needed yet, I need to work a plate so I can try the pad out.

Cool (no pun) :D

Keep me posted. I know Slo and Fittske uses them tucked underneath only and virtually have no problems ....so....

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

i'm a little late on this one but had to chime in. i have the blackice and the rite temp cap inserts. the blackice works but i wear a 19" neck size so i'm glad i got the extenders and they come in pairs.e rite temp inserts are ok. i'm still on the fence withnthem and they don't come in pairs. i wnt to try the rite temp vests. i've heard good things about them. on their video the demo shows that they had their shirts modified with a zipper so you swap out easily.

Posted

The one reason I don't like the vest is once it loses it's charge, you are stuck wearing an extra layer of clothing that you can't take off. This could ultimately have a negative effect and make you hotter. With the pads, just untuck the front of your shirt and remove and replace.

Posted

Nice to see some of you guys are using the Rite-Temp products. A couple of quick insights. The cap cooler is going to be the least effective in keeping you cool overall. The point of it is to provide more a quick fix or feeling of being cool.

Where you will see the most benefit are the larger cooling pads. When the Rite-Temp products were introduced last year, one of the complaints was they didn't last all game. Rite-Temp added what they call endurance grade products this year. It's basically the same product as last year except it has insulation built-in so that it lasts a good deal longer. These are the ones we decided to carry so look for that when you are shopping around. The downside is they are more expensive than the performance ones that may only last 5 innings or so.

I know MLB and MiLB guys swear by these. What I hear most, besides helping to keep your body temperature down, is the added benefit that umpires feel more refreshed after the game with it than without and have better recovery for the next game. So for temperature control and recovery, these are probably the best things going out there for you guys who are working a lot of games in the heat.

When deciding on a cooling pad insert or vest, you'll pay more for the vest but you may have less slippage concerns. If you go with a pad, consider tightening your CP up a little more.

For other tips on staying cool out there: http://umpattire.blo...at-related.html

(Note: I edited this after posting to correct an error. The newest are the endurance, not the performance. Thanks johnnyg08 for noting.)

Posted

For you guys who have these, is it possible to wear the cooling packs on the bases (do the packs come with something to wrap around your body or anything) or would the vest be the best option?

Posted

For you guys who have these, is it possible to wear the cooling packs on the bases (do the packs come with something to wrap around your body or anything) or would the vest be the best option?

the cooling pads come with velcro straps to wear on the bases....

maingallery_1.jpg

Posted

For you guys who have these, is it possible to wear the cooling packs on the bases (do the packs come with something to wrap around your body or anything) or would the vest be the best option?

the cooling pads come with velcro straps to wear on the bases....

Thanks! Hopefully I am able to throw fireballs too lol

Posted

For you guys who have these, is it possible to wear the cooling packs on the bases (do the packs come with something to wrap around your body or anything) or would the vest be the best option?

the cooling pads come with velcro straps to wear on the bases....

Hmm interesting, mine did not.

Posted

I think that there are the 2 versions of the pads. The Performance and the endurance. 1 of them comes with the straps.

Posted

I think that there are the 2 versions of the pads. The Performance and the endurance. 1 of them comes with the straps.

That would explain it. I have the endurance from UA.

Posted

You can order the straps, or go to a fabric store, buy the elastic and hook 'n' loop (aka velcro) and make your own straps. Rite Temp will charge you $20 for the straps. You can probably make them for under $10. If don't care about spending $20 + shipping, call rite temp and order some elastic straps, that's what I did.

Posted

I made my own this week and it worked great. Well at least for about 4 innings.

Went to walmart and bout these long ice things for coolers. They were blue with squares. Cut them down to size. Put velcro on the inside of my cp and interestingly enough the velcro also held to the ice packs even after they were submerged in my cooler. I made 2 sets since I call 2 plates everyday. Total price with velcro and ice packs were under $20. Ill post some pice later if anyones interested.

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Umpiring has been so much more pleasant this summer with the endurance pads.

×
×
  • Create New...