-
Posts
361 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by Forest Ump
-
I can hear the conversation now. " Hey Blue can you step one to the right. Sure, no problem. Hey Blue now your shoes are distracting me, Can you change those? TIME......
-
There sure were a lot of BOO questions on the test. I think I'm benching that kid Baker. That dude was always missing his turn at bat.
-
I answered B. I walked the fence on this one but in the end I agreed that he altered the play by going directly in standing up. I'm not sure I would call it in a game but that remains to be seen. Now with that said, I missed five and got a 92%. This may be one of the ones I missed. I'll find out on Tuesday.
-
Which way did you go on the video where the runner bowls over the catcher? NCAA clinic said it was a baseball play. Lot of guys around here say its obstruction. Doesn't make since to answer obstruction if the clinic said it's nothing.
-
You have to ask yourself, Did the ball hit the bat or did the bat hit the ball? The first is nothing, the latter is interference.
-
8-5-d only applies to a runner interfering. Go with 8-5-e for a batted runner interfering.
-
I think the answer is D. The head coach must inform the umpire of his intentions before crossing the foul line on the way to the mound. cite rule 5-5-e and rule 9-4-d
-
I do what umpstu said in post 3. Starter only. I may look at a relief pitcher if he's submariner. Those always take a little time to get use to tracking.
-
I 2nd San Diego as a good place to retire. Somewhere up in the North County. The only drawbacks being the high taxes and crowds. My first scheduled game on Arbiter is a two game D2 series on Feb 1. I'll probably work a scrimmage or two before that.
-
That's only if one appeal was a force and one appeal was not a force. If both appeals are force outs, the order doesn't matter. You are right . I screwed the pooch on that one.
-
Two runs in Fed and OBR. No runs in NCAA. Edit: Checked my books after this post. NCAA is now consistent with OBR and Fed. Two runs score in all codes. The defense must appeal in the correct order.
-
It was in SF for 2013. Southern CA for 2014. Most likely in Phoenix for 2015.
-
It's in Anaheim this year a few blocks from Disneyland. Saturday Jan 11 Info here https://ncaabaseball.arbitersports.com
-
I believe there were other D1/2/3 assignoers there as well (Hiler is a very important one up here not only fir is over all postion with the NCAA, but he is also the small college assigner up here.) I attended a weekend clinic the Billy Haze (aka Black and Blue Umpire Clinic) put on last year in Redding, CA. This is actually where I got to meet @alex7. I really wanted to attend this year's week long BBUC clinic which midAm posted about. Sadly life and lack of current funds prevented that. I was at this clinic last week. This is the place to be if you want to move up. I was observed by the people mentioned above and got promoted to D2 for 2014. I had been referred by others before getting to camp. My previous experience was at the JC level. Over the last five years I have worked a boatload of D1 fall and spring scrimmage games for no pay. At camp, I busted my tail and didn't drink too much. That worked for me. One piece of advice that was given was if you are a good umpire, you will move up. Someone will see you and you will advance. It's inevitable. But you do have to work for it.
-
Hey Catcher....Welcome to the world of umpiring. It's a great hobby and one you can do for many years. Regarding rotations, you rotate with runners on 1st or 1st and 3rd. You only rotate on base hits into the outfield. The plate guy goes to third and you pick up the batter runner. You never rotate home. You have all stolen bases until the plate guy is in position to cover his end. As the base guy, you have the runner all the way to third. These are basic descriptions of your duties. I would suggest you purchase the Jim Evans Maximizing the Two Umpire System. You can find it the ABUA website.
-
Go with what blue23 wrote. Don't mention it unless he brings it up. I would bet you a dollar to a donut he already knows he got it wrong. He has either looked it up when he got home or most likely what happened; he was telling another official about this crazy balk call and that official corrected him.
-
Evaluation of EBag MOther Lode 29" Duffel
Forest Ump replied to jkumpire's topic in Umpire Equipment
One of the great thing about this bag is the lifetime warranty. Anything breaks, zipper, flaps, whatever, and they will cover it. I think they will even pay the shipping to return it. -
That goes without saying.......you were one of the trainers.
-
Someone from the dugout just proclaimed to everyone that you have screwed up twice in the game. Are you going to ignore that? No way. If I don't know who said it, the dugout will get an acknowledging stern look from me.
-
R1 and R2. He stepped towards first and then continued on to second.
-
Manny....I got no problem with any of what you wrote if it was a lower level game. JV and higher, I would go with Jockos way. BTW. I think it's horseSH*# that folks here are piling on you because you have said that you don't have a quick trigger finger. Too many umpires are quick to eject. Many ejections can be traced to a mistake made by the umpire.
-
Funny. I was going to write something asking what was discussed in your pre-game meeting. Before I posted, I went back and reread your post and read the bottom part. Now I see why you and your partner has some issues. No pregame. That tough when you do tournaments and you can't pregame.
-
I would do what Jocko said, Call this guy every day and demand your money. Be the squeaky wheel. Send the guy a demand letter. You can download a demand letter template from the internet. Pester him and you will get paid. Then never ever umpire one of his games again.
-
The BU was not aware of the proper way to precede with a HC requesting help. His conversation with the HC should follow this framework. HC: Can you get help with that? BU: OK Bob, What exactly do you want me to get help for? HC: He pulled his foot, Can you ask your partner if he pulled his foot? BU: OK Bob, I'll ask my partner if he pulled his foot. Bob if you continue to argue this call after I render my decision, you will be ejected from the game. You need to go back to your position now. BU: (beckons PU to meet away from all) John, do you have a pulled foot on that play? PU: No BU: Bob, the play stands. or PU: Yes BU and PU go together to other HC. PU looks for trouble coming from bench as BU explains why he's changing the call. Every action is clearly defined if it's done this way. The coach has defined exactly what he wants you to get help with. The BU has one specific question to ask the PU. The conversation between the PU and BU is short with only a one word answer, yes or no. Now ejecting the HC is justified because he has received a warning if he argues any more. Working within this framework may have prevented the ejection. Depends on the level and the sophistication of the coaches of course. BigUmp had to take care of business because his partner didn't know how.
-
My college group doesn't want us to wear numbers. To many guys work for multiple groups. Makes it hard on the wardrobe.
