-
Posts
361 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
4
Everything posted by Forest Ump
-
Not if he's not aware that B6 missed the bag. 7.10 Comment: "An appeal should be clearly intended as an appeal, either by a verbal request by the player or an act that unmistakably indicates an appeal to the umpire. A player, inadvertently stepping on the base with a ball in his hand, would not constitute an appeal." Now my question is, take the above situation except after B6 has returned to, and is standing on, the bag, F3 says (still holding the ball and touching the base), "He missed first base." You don't allow this appeal since he's "corrected his error" before the appeal, correct? Correct
-
The OP was a FED question. My citation was from the NFHS book. I know it was SDIX. Humor and slight sarcasm never transfers well to forums. (I've never read past section 8)
-
There's a section 9 in the rule book?? :WTF
-
I just wanted to make the situation more suspenseful.
-
I viewed it just don't know the answer. Great post. Looking forward to hearing from others. Its probably a simple answer. Wish I had my books with me. In Fed, all runners must touch their advance base if forced. If they don't, you may have a possible appeal. A force out. No run scored. Play extra innings. In OBR, the BR must touch 1st and R3 must touch home. R1 and R2 can celebrate.:cheers:
-
My wife took mine over to Kinko's to get it spiral bound. It's just my preferance. To me, it just makes it easy to thumb though or lay it out on the copy machine. I did the same thing to my older J/R. For those who are new to the BRD, it takes awhile to get use to it. It's not layed out for simple reading. It's a great reference book. Read the front part to understand the layout. Once you get use to it, you'll be able to look up the reference you need quickly enough. I typically go right to the index when I have a question.
-
You also have to judge if he intentionally dropped the ball to make that call. Tough call Jax. I've had it happen and I have seen it happen. Sometimes $hit happens. Surprise is an umpires worst enemy. . If you intentionally drop a IFF it is nothing, and the ball is still live. I was referring to the requirements to call a intentionally dropped ball. Your right of course, the IFF supercedes the IDB. Would love to hear a report of your school expirience?
-
I have never called it. I have seen it done. We have a shortstop on my softball team that does it all the time. He gets away with it every now and then.
-
You also have to judge if he intentionally dropped the ball to make that call. Tough call Jax. I've had it happen and I have seen it happen. Sometimes $hit happens. Surprise is an umpires worst enemy. .
-
I did a quick internet search and found the WV Platinum at HQsports for $139 with free shipping. That's a good deal. It is also a $60 dollar difference. If the used one is in good shape, you will get many years of use from it with proper care. If money is tight, go used. If money is not tight go used and buy something else with the $60. Advice from an old cheapskate.
-
If you feel good, then fine. You may want to have someone video you or take a few photographs. We are often oblivious to what we actually look like. I like combo's when I do a tournament and I don't have a lot of time to change between games. Although in reality, it does not take long to drop your britches and put on another pair. .
-
If you guys are buying this great book, how about clicking on this link Orion Academy - Asperger's NLD High School ,scroll to the left side and you will see an Amazon web site button. The school gets a small percentage of each sale through the Amazon web site. Take a moment to read about the school and the disability they help kids overcome.
-
If you guys are buying this great book, how about clicking on this link Orion Academy - Asperger's NLD High School ,scroll to the left side and you will see an Amazon web site button. The school gets a small percentage of each sale through the Amazon web site. Take a moment to read about the school and the disability they help kids overcome. I hope this is OK to post but I understand if it is not.
-
I have a slightly different take on this. The obstruction is negated because the BR made it to 2nd safely. R2's actions are independent of the obstruction. I do not have obstruction anymore. I do have two runners on the same base that is legally occupied by R2. The BR is out when tagged.
-
I never read that chart. The writing is too small.
-
If the batter made contact with his foot entirely out of the box when he batted the ball, then you would come up from your stance and very loudly proclaim "TIME. THAT'S AN ILLEGALLY BATTED BALL. BATTER YOU ARE OUT." Return all runners to TOP occupied base. No delayed dead ball. Fair or foul has no bearing on the call.
-
I used to be ABUA but now I have been NASO for the last three years. This year it is included in our association dues for an additional $75. I enjoy getting the Referee Magazine. I believe the insurance coverage is better. It also includes coverage for loss games due to accident.
-
Annual... Game Fees Question... Let's see who got a raise or not
Forest Ump replied to TX-UIC's topic in High School
That's great for HS. Up here in the other State of California I believe we get $58 for Varsity. $48 for JV, and $46 for Frosh. All two man. No mileage.That was last year. MSBL is usally $70 or $80. Two man Pony is $45 to $55. Two man. One group I work with is $60 no matter what level. LL to American Legion for two man 7 inning. -
Hey Jax...Congratulations on moving up into the HS ranks. Your HS association will go over the procedure for checking helmets and bats. Do what your group says and not what internet umpires do. The majority of what has been written in this thread is good but some of it is not. Always do what your group says to do. Our group says to always check bats and helmets 15 minutes before the game. Our group says that both umpires go to each dugout together. There are rules in place for when a player enters the box with illegal equipment. PS My grandparents use to live off of San Jose Drive a block from the river.
-
Check with your association about this. This seems to be the first order of business in our meetings. All alluminum bats must be BBCOR in California for 2011. No composite bats are allowed unless they are on the waiver list. The California information is located here http://www.cifstate.org/ The waiver list looks daunting but it really boils down to just seven bats.
-
Perfect as we may try to be, one day you may eject a kid and that jerk kid may seek out your car and do damage to it. It actually happened to a member in our association. The PU ejected a kid in a game. The BU, who had shirts hanging in the backseat, found his car vandalized after the game.
-
OK. Now what if he does the same thing , only this time he leaves the F word out. Real loud so everyone can hear, just as Kevin describes it, hands on hips, standing in the box, "You've got to be kidding me". Are you still going to instantly eject?
-
Pro Mechanics (Giving Balls & Strikes)
Forest Ump replied to Astrosdawg07's topic in Umpire Mechanics
That's right but remember what else Sarge said "Do what Charlie tells you to do". Don't play F--k F--k :yippie: -
One strike only needs one hand. This is done after that first pitch is fouled with runners on. Hold that one finger out there with your right hand; announce one strike and then point it fair and say play. It's clean and crisp when timed well. Same can be done with two strikes. They know what you’re conveying in higher level ball. I'll say balls and strikes when the count is 2-2. It just doesn't sound right to me saying 2-2. Most of the time, I'll just give the count 3-2, 2-2, whatever it is combined with the visual. I have a slow southern drawl so it never comes out to quick when announced. Not disagreeing with the other methods. You have to do what your association requires.
-
Try not say "no balls". Some players and fans pick up on that and use it against you. Just say "two strikes".
