Jump to content

Stk004

Established Member
  • Posts

    2,192
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    30

Everything posted by Stk004

  1. Interesting that LL omits this part of the rule, given that they're primarily OBR based.
  2. From Ump-Attire One size fits most (Measures 13" from top of neck pad to bottom of chest plate. See alternative image with 4" pad extension, included.
  3. Shameless plug for the Schutt XV/Adams HDX, which is 13" with an extra skirt of padding at the bottom.
  4. Shin guards are measured from the middle of your knee to the ankle, right? In my opinion, which doesn't mean much, the Diamond BL pads aren't that great either. I'd just buy a Diamond iX-3, or just the frame if you can, and put on replacement pads. Pads really make the mask, the frame isn't as important. As I'm sure you know, @MadMax could talk for weeks on end about different materials for masks, but I think he'd agree with me that the pads are most important. One last thing, I know clothing wasn't mentioned at all but a 6-stitch cap can be used on plate and base and will fit any mask that isn't low profile or an All-Star FM4000. @Thunderheads will disagree on that part though.
  5. The pitcher is afforded the same latitude as a catcher in terms of where he can/cannot be when covering home plate. If he's moving in to receive the throw there's a very low chance he's actually committed obstruction. Barring something like intentionally standing/kneeling/laying down directly between the runner and home plate, he's permitted to move into position to receive the throw. I'd say this is a situation where obstruction should be called sparingly.
  6. That's the thing, I don't think that interpretation is mentioned in any official capacity. At least not any that I'm familiar with. The rule itself isn't dependent on the batter staying in the box, so I'd enforce it as it's written.
  7. Gil's solution has been posted. Whether or not this is obstruction seems to depend on how much allowance F5 is given to complete the throw. The collision happens after the throw is released but before F5 had time to come back down or otherwise react to R2. If the throw is considered complete once it leaves his hand, I'd imagine this has to be obstruction, right? R2's progress was undoubtedly impeded by F5 laying on top of him. If the defense tries to play on him after the BR is safe, retroactively calling obstruction doesn't seem to be the right way to handle the situation. Had they played on R2, there's no doubt that he was impeded. On the other hand, if F5 is permitted to come down to the ground under the premise of completing the throw or "fielding the ball," then I'd agree with Gil's analysis.
  8. This thread title is horribly misleading. This post caught my attention. I wear mine really tight and even had to tighten it once after getting down to college. But sometimes, late in games when I'm tired, I'll adopt an initial hands on knees position instead of standing and sometimes I feel like I've exposed my collar bone when I'm leaning way forward. I don't usually receive a pitch this way but it gets my attention when I feel that little gap. I've never legitimately feared for my collar bone with this CP though, just when I'm in this weird stance.
  9. Gotta admit, clicking on a link called "sketch toy" made me a little nervous. OBR 5.06 (b) Advancing Bases (1) In advancing, a runner shall touch first, second, third and home base in order. If forced to return, he shall retouch all bases in reverse order, unless the ball is dead under any provision of Rule 5.06(c). In such cases, the runner may go directly to his original base. Once the runner retreats behind second base, as he did on his way back to first, he must touch second base again before advancing to third base.
  10. Heyyyyyyy no Bigfoot slander on the message board.
  11. I'm glad the TW suggestion worked. When I put a memory foam pad on top the 6 stitch was feasible. Building off your point of a 6-stitch not being comfortable, it's not that it doesn't fit, it's just that I don't want the brim of my hat up against the bar. I don't even notice the thickness of the bars anymore, but it probably took two innings my first game to adjust to it.
  12. Any idea how much?
  13. I like the feel of the All-Star Mag
  14. Following up to @MadMax and @noumpere , as soon as you notice the catcher is going to throw to second you should immediately take a few hard steps to your left. It all goes back to angle/distance, and you can only get so far. Then once the throw turns you you have to get stopped and set, knowing that you got into the best position possible.
  15. I've been really surprised at how often I get offered water (and occasionally Gatorade) down here, because as you said it never happens in Washington. Oregon, in your case. I'll even have people offer me water when I'm down to half a water bottle here. It's quite nice. To those of you drinking 5 bottles of water a game, more power to you. I'd have to pee like none other if I did that.
  16. Wilson Aluminum sold.
  17. Bump, offers welcomed.
  18. Foul ball. A CATCH is the act of a fielder in getting secure possession in his hand or glove of a ball in flight and firmly holding it; providing he does not use his cap, protector, pocket or any other part of his uniform in getting possession.
  19. 25 seems a little old IMO. I know they don't necessarily like the 18 year old kids as much as college graduates, but I'd say you're better off getting in at 20 or 21 than 26 or 27.
  20. Will Little has a black Nike TI too.
  21. Nope, because it was designed to be worn against a skull cap, which already has padding.
  22. Sorry I've been away from my laptop since I got home. Send me a PM
  23. Step and a lean is heard a lot.
  24. Interesting. I got it off of OfferUp from a minor league catcher in the White Sox organization.
  25. This is the stock traditional mask for UCLA catchers, so I'd imagine the protection is at least decent. Everyone on here will tell you that the frame doesn't matter nearly as much for protection as the pads do. Now, as @kylejt mentioned, I'd definitely make sure the brim of your hat isn't touching or too close to the bar, because then an impact will push into your hat and hurt more than it should.
×
×
  • Create New...