-
Posts
1,078 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
12
Everything posted by Pete Peterson Sr
-
Close play at 3rd from B position
Pete Peterson Sr replied to spiffdawg7's topic in Umpire Mechanics
I probably shouldn't have taken that speed reading class.... -
Close play at 3rd from B position
Pete Peterson Sr replied to spiffdawg7's topic in Umpire Mechanics
Sez who? In my state, we have to use FED mechanics, which put the BU in C whenever runners are on base, except when a steal of 2B is possible (R1 only, or R1/R3). Pro mechanics put BU in C with R3 only and R2/R3, when no steal of 3B is possible. Not sure whose mechanics you're looking at... Sez our state mechanics manual. R1 and R3, B position. But away from the "which position is proper" discussion, if you go to "C" with this set-up, there will be the same perception on a pick-off throw to 1B, right ? Pete, I'm not sure you're following the thread: the standard mechanic is to be in B only when a steal of 2B is possible. The IL manual (apparently) puts them in B all the time unless a steal of 3B is possible. The only situations where IL will be different are R3 only, R2/R3, and bases loaded, where IL puts them in B. You sir, are correct. Reading is, indeed, fundamental. -
I found a copy of 'Maximinzing the Two-Umpire System' on Amazon for about $240. I sent the seller this email: Just out of curiosity, why is this book so expensive? I'm looking to get one but I can get a new one for around $70. I can't imagine anyone spending that price for this book. Thanks! Here is their response: Good morning, We can offer to you a 30% of discount if you buy it right now. We are modifying the price in the system. It is available in 15 minutes and if you want the book, you need buy it immediatly before someone else buy it. Thanks for buying with us I wonder if they are Punking me? There are three available on Amazon now. Two @ $163.00, and one for $325. The latter comes autographed by Jim Evans, according to the item description.
-
Close play at 3rd from B position
Pete Peterson Sr replied to spiffdawg7's topic in Umpire Mechanics
Sez who? In my state, we have to use FED mechanics, which put the BU in C whenever runners are on base, except when a steal of 2B is possible (R1 only, or R1/R3). Pro mechanics put BU in C with R3 only and R2/R3, when no steal of 3B is possible. Not sure whose mechanics you're looking at... Sez our state mechanics manual. R1 and R3, B position. But away from the "which position is proper" discussion, if you go to "C" with this set-up, there will be the same perception on a pick-off throw to 1B, right ? -
Just what U-E needs; a Jocko-in-Training. I can hear the screams of terror excitement now. You had it right before the edit, lol...
-
...They haven't gone extinct....at all...? Rulekeep, please put your sarcasm detector in the repair shop. It seems to be on the fritz... A legend in your own mind....
-
Sounds like a less-than-quality throw to me, kid. HTBT, though...
-
Only 43 for me,so far. Slow start.
-
"The sky is falling...the sky is falling". It hasn't happened in football, has it ?
-
Follow up : An umpire that had a hand in training called me the other day. He said was on his way home from a DII game, and stopped for a burger. While he was there, a baseball coach came up to him, and apologized for any outbursts that he might hear from one of the coach's players. The reason ? He has Tourette's. That's right....same team. And as a sidebar, I had somehow forgotten what school this team was from. I had them in the state playoffs about five years ago, at their place. They lost in three games, and their fans were vicious. I actually had to run their head coach out of our locker room accommodations, when he decided that he would come in and tell my crew just what he thought of our abilities. He told me that "this is my office, and you can't make me leave". I pointed out that I was representing the State HS Association, and that he should vacate immediately, or deal with the state after I made a report of his action.
-
I'm not certain about other states, but in mine, an ejected player MUST remain in the dugout, under the immediate control of the HC. So, if one were to eject a player with Tourettes Syndrome, what would be gained ? The player with uncontrollable outbursts would still be on the bench, and likely having more uncontrolled outbursts.
-
What gives you the right to demand that he remove his jewelry? The rule prohibits him from playing with jewelry, not from wearing jewelry. Well if he's in the batter's box he is most likely playing. So tell him to go back to the dugout. Duh. WHAT ?? If he is trying to enter the batter's box with jewelry, he has violated the rule. Send him back to the dugout ? I normally agree with what you say, Maven, but in this case, I don't think I understand what you are trying to say.
-
Pete Jr taught me this trick: Batter starts to step into the box with jewelry. Jr calls time, and instructs said player to remove said adornment and take it to the head coach, normally in the 3B coaches box. That works pretty well, too.
-
Authority or not outside the fence ? I think we may be splitting hairs, here. If you instruct a coach, AD, site manager, or law enforcement officer to remove an unruly fan, you are, in fact, exercising authority. As is the person doing the removal. Just one old umpire's opinion. Flame away.
-
" JV baseball is like dumping a truckload of tennis balls into a park full of Labrador puppies." - Scott D., an outstanding umpire and a great friend.
- 8 replies
-
- 10
-
-
Don't make a stupid comment
Pete Peterson Sr replied to cyclonehokiece's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
They're pretty fanatical in The Bronx The bronx isn't a city...only part of a city (doesn't even deserve capitalization). In every part of Boston, they love their team...almost as much as they hate that one from the bronx. *&#^ Boston, and the Red Sux. -
I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of discussion my post has brought on. I figured it would get two, maybe three replies,at most.
-
Rusty Greer is from Albertville, Alabama, and played college ball at Montevallo, if I'm not mistaken. I'm pretty sure that he was unfamiliar with time limit games. They didn't use those in his last gig...it's not " a Alabama thing".
-
That would go very well with an old, faded pair of heather grays, lol...
-
I actually had one who said "Pete, do you know you sweep the plate with your left hand ?"......
-
Damn Canadians !
-
Greetings from across the globe
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Jocko's topic in Off-Topic/Funny Stories
Don't forget, you promised ol' Pete a souvenir... -
One of my best friends works in a local HS association (not mine). At a varsity game the other night, after the plate meeting, the visiting head coach says "Blue, if you hear an outburst from my dugout, it won't be me". Friend says "what are you trying to tell me, coach ?" Coach tells him that there is a player on his roster with Tourette Syndrome. Fourth inning, my buddy hears "f*%$ - **** - ****" come out of the dugout. Not excessively loud, but audible. Our state has a stringent, zero-tolerance policy on profanity. My friend was at a loss on what to do ? Eject a kid who really might not be able to control the problem ? Is that a violation of the ADA ? What would you have done ? .
