-
Posts
1,078 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
12
Everything posted by Pete Peterson Sr
-
Considering New Shinguards-UE Kevlar OR WV Pro Black
Pete Peterson Sr replied to Majordave's topic in Umpire Equipment
As a Bama fan, I totally support this, lol... -
type B in FED??? Reading is, indeed, fundamental....lol
-
In Alabama, you face a two-week suspension for working non-sanctioned games wearing either the state hat or shirt, but failing to wear both.
-
dropped third strike and getting help
Pete Peterson Sr replied to umpire_scott's topic in Umpire Mechanics
The standard verbal is actually no verbal. But when you tell the catcher "you gotta get him!" Or a similar phrase, you're simply telling him that he has to retire the batter due to the fact he didn't catch the baseball. "No catch" is informative to both players involved. It tells both the batter AND the catcher that you did not see a clean catch. -
In my state, you may only register with one HS association in any sport. You may work for another association with the approval of your association's President or assigner, and the "borrowing assc. must ask permission each time. Those that violate the restriction are subject to suspension by the state. One of my guys was caught double-dipping a few years ago, and received a one year suspension IN ALL SPORTS.
-
The latter are often sponsored by grass seed companies. The latter are often sponsored by grass seed companies.
-
When is R2 picking up the ball during a dead-ball an out??????
Pete Peterson Sr replied to PGOLDEN88's topic in Situations
Your average Red Sux fans.... -
I thought the same thing,Rich...
-
On the contrary. As I stated earlier, the only thing I disliked about the video was the music. And you might be happy to know, a friend texted a link to your video to about 10 umpires I know !
-
"> There are exactly 80 ejections in this video. Enjoy. Does that number include that jackass Maddon ejecting an umpire ??? Yes, and Showalter. So okay, there's exactly 78 official ejections. And electronica crap? Pur-lease, I could have used dubstep and then you'd REALLY be complaining! If you had used dubstep, I would have muted it sooner... #TeenUmpProblemsThatPeopleNamedPeteJustDontUnderstandLikeTryingToFindCatchyEJMusicThatDoesntHaveLyrics #MatureUmpProblemsThatKidsTheseDaysThinkAComputerIsAMusicalInstrument Three points. One, this song came out in the early 2000's, I believe. Two, the music I actually like is Simple Plan, Green Day, Sum 41, and blink-182, which are all decidedly NOT computers. (Although don't look any of those bands up, for your own health. ) and three, I didn't even pick the song, it was @MYFER, so blame him!
-
Not athletic enough to get from PoP to 3B? Not confident enough as BU to think you can get both calls ?
-
"> There are exactly 80 ejections in this video. Enjoy. Does that number include that jackass Maddon ejecting an umpire ??? Yes, and Showalter. So okay, there's exactly 78 official ejections. And electronica crap? Pur-lease, I could have used dubstep and then you'd REALLY be complaining! If you had used dubstep, I would have muted it sooner... #TeenUmpProblemsThatPeopleNamedPeteJustDontUnderstandLikeTryingToFindCatchyEJMusicThatDoesntHaveLyrics
-
"> There are exactly 80 ejections in this video. Enjoy. Does that number include that jackass Maddon ejecting an umpire ??? Yes, and Showalter. So okay, there's exactly 78 official ejections. And electronica crap? Pur-lease, I could have used dubstep and then you'd REALLY be complaining!
-
I think you're F.O.S......
-
Does that number include that jackass Maddon ejecting an umpire ???
-
I'm glad you like it. Hard but fun to make. The hardest part must've been listening to that electronica crap you used as the soundtrack. Outstanding video, though !
-
Collision at HP and other zaney 12u adventures
Pete Peterson Sr replied to RingEmUp's topic in Situations
I forgot to clarify, that would have been the 3rd out. I also agree that kids that young should not be throwing a curve. Whether that is true now seems subject to debate. (I spent some time looking at this a year or two ago for my kid.) While there were some studies that suggested curves were bad for the arm, recent studies suggest that those studies failed to account for pitches thrown -- and it was the kids who were throwing a lot who were also the ones throwing curves. These more recent studies suggest that that it is overuse, not throwing curves that is an issue. There was also a study that looked at arm stress and suggeted that a properly thrown curve ball put less stress on the arm than a fastball. American Pediatrics Assocation, last time I looked, recognized the ambiguity in the data, and recommended puberty (which they descibed as when shaving begins) as the startnig point for curves. Based on the data I could find, I let my kid start learning (but not throw very much) a curve at 12 with a pitching coach that I really trusted to teach him proper mechanics. I foucssed more on preventing overuse and ensuring appropriate rest for the arm (both during season and a significant off season with absolutely no pitching). (But anyone looking out for their kid should not rely on my memory, but should go out and look at the data, includng the APA recommendation.) Dr. Larry Lemak, noted sports orthopedic surgeon, agrees that the number of innings/pitches thrown when young is the key component in arm injuries among baseball players of ANY age. -
4 years or 15 years means nothing. Some guys are just natural at umpiring and are better with 4-years experience than some who have been umpiring forever. Some people care more about the game than others and that helps make them better umpires. As a trainer/evaluator for my league I see that all of the time. Also very few youth/HS umpires have ever been trained in proper 3-man or 4-man mechanics. So your comment doesn't surprise me at all. Calling "balls/strikes" is an art. While some people never master it some people look like they were born to be behind the plate, even with just a couple of years experience. You make your reputation behind the plate and lose it on bases (especially in 2-man mechanics). To me personally working the bases is much more difficult that working the plate. Quality of training is where it begins and lack of training is where it ends. An example, In Arizona the AIA offers no training that I am aware of. Unlike states like Alabama where district and state clinics are mandatory (or at least they were years ago). So where do the "new" umpires go for proper training? Here in southern Arizona there's a local HS umpire's association called the Tucson Baseball Umpires Association (TBUA). The TBUA attempts to train their umpires but it is very minimal. Luckily, there is a large youth league here called the Kino Baseball League (KBL) that offers extensive training utilizing classroom, field clinics, scrimmages, and live games throughout the year. BUT a majority of the local youth/HS umpires won't invest 4 weekends per year and $40 (for all 4 weekends, to help cover the instructor's gas) to become better. Let me add that after the 4-weekends of training the trainees are given the opportunity to work a charity 12U tournament where they can work with their mentors (plus make money) and if they can umpire they will be assigned lower-level KBL games (advancing as their evaluations indicate). I can ramble on for hours when it comes to umpire training.... Believe me, I feel your frustration! District and state camps in AL are no longer mandatory, but they sure help your state classification score when playoff selections come around! But with the new classification system, they are effectively mandatory, without being called mandatory. Don't be shocked if rules are put into place requiring attendance of a State camp, within a certain time window, to qualify for semi-finals and finals.
-
I find it interesting that Ted Barrett "announced" the final call, rather than Paul Schrieber, to whom the original call belonged.
- 27 replies
-
- 1
-
-
Intentionally Dropped Batted Ball
Pete Peterson Sr replied to CricketChapman's topic in Professional
And of course, the talking-heads thought that it was a "heady play by Alonzo" to drop the ball leaving the force intact. IDIOTS. -
And $5 says that the moron tells you he doesn't own a Honda...
-
Pete Jr's wife's aunt died suddenly during a Varsity matchup that he and I were working. Between games, I sent him home to take care of his kids while the wife went to be with her family, leaving me to work the JV game solo. VT pitcher threw over to first a couple of times, and his F2 (HC's son, btw) stepped in front of the plate and said to F1 " Throw over there to keep him close, but don't expect to get an out. Pete is out here by his lonesome, got it ?" I appreciated that, and I told him so.
-
Much like many of the stories of the Florida/FSU "fight" earlier this season...
-
Frog Toggs were designed and developed in Arab, Alabama... (That's pronounced A-rab, by the way, lol).
