Retrofitting an All Star System 7

I have an aging All Star System 7 (the most protective CP ever made, IMHO), and I am looking to refresh it with new rivets, which are rusting, as well as find some new, lower profile padding. This MAY reduce the protectiveness of the CP overall, but I'm willing to trade a tiny bit of that for a huge reduction in the profile.

Here is some padding that I found that seems to be protective and reasonably priced:

https://shocktec.com/product/shocktec-air2gel-lightweight-impact-protection-products/

Looking especially for any recommendations for padding that others have used to retrofit their CPs. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated!

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

I have an aging All Star System 7 (the most protective CP ever made, IMHO), and I am looking to refresh it with new rivets, which are rusting, as well as find some new, lower profile padding. This MAY reduce the protectiveness of the CP overall, but I'm willing to trade a tiny bit of that for a huge reduction in the profile.

Here is some padding that I found that seems to be protective and reasonably priced:

https://shocktec.com/product/shocktec-air2gel-lightweight-impact-protection-products/

Looking especially for any recommendations for padding that others have used to retrofit their CPs. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated!

Hi, yes Michael or Umpirerock74 is the man to go. Michael is unfortunately away and will not be available. I am running Umpguard till he comes back, please send me a text at 334 750 5205, and we will be more than happy to help you retrofit your CP. 

What we do is we retrofit your CP just like Team Wendy use to do. It is very protective and professional. Text me and we can talk about everything. Thanks William.

@grayhawk  have you considered just using the existing Cobalt padding as a replacement for your System 7?  I would think it'd be a closer fit and it's only $49.99 direct from All-Star plus $9.99 S&H.   Leave the middle channel open so heat can escape when putting the new pads on via Velcro.

https://all-starsports.com/collections/ump-chest-protectors/products/cobalt-umpire-chest-protector-replacement-pad-set

Finally, drill out your rivets and then buy some 1/4" black Chicago screws and you should be in business!   Put a bit of LocTite on the screws as you put them in place so they don't back out over time (unless you want them to at some point).

It would probably take less than 45 minutes to do the entire thing from start-to-finish.  A complete retrofit on this CP would only cost you maybe $75 if you do it yourself versus $160+ at other places.  Plus, you'd have the pride factor of knowing you did it yourself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

If you are at all slightly handy I would suggest "the way of the wolf"

Handy? Archie… there’s an entire topic on “The @grayhawk Mod”, based around what he did to that very System7 he’s got there. 

It’s somewhere in the archives. 

Grayhawk (Steve) installed an outrigger strap from chest plate to pauldron – in front – so as to rein in the shoulder group (pauldron + ailette) that had this propensity to spin to the back and hinder putting on shirts easily. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Handy? Archie… there’s an entire topic on “The @grayhawk Mod”, based around what he did to that very System7 he’s got there. 

It’s somewhere in the archives. 

Grayhawk (Steve) installed an outrigger strap from chest plate to pauldron – in front – so as to rein in the shoulder group (pauldron + ailette) that had this propensity to spin to the back and hinder putting on shirts easily. 

Ahh yes, the Grayhawk mod. It has served me well. I do like working with my hands and would get a lot of satisfaction out of doing it myself. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

@grayhawk  have you considered just using the existing Cobalt padding as a replacement for your System 7?  I would think it'd be a closer fit and it's only $49.99 direct from All-Star plus $9.99 S&H.   Leave the middle channel open so heat can escape when putting the new pads on via Velcro.

https://all-starsports.com/collections/ump-chest-protectors/products/cobalt-umpire-chest-protector-replacement-pad-set

Finally, drill out your rivets and then buy some 1/4" black Chicago screws and you should be in business!   Put a bit of LocTite on the screws as you put them in place so they don't back out over time (unless you want them to at some point).

It would probably take less than 45 minutes to do the entire thing from start-to-finish.  A complete retrofit on this CP would only cost you maybe $75 if you do it yourself versus $160+ at other places.  Plus, you'd have the pride factor of knowing you did it yourself.

That's an interesting suggestion. I wonder how thick those pads are and if they would fit the S7.

1 minute ago, grayhawk said:

That's an interesting suggestion. I wonder how thick those pads are and if they would fit the S7.

They're thinner than the S7 I believe, the Cobalt is pretty low profile.   I think they hook in (Velcro) the same way too. Perhaps Max or someone that has both (@kylejt maybe?) can speak closer to them?  I've had both, but never replaced the pads on either.  I just happened to see the replacement pads the other day and I thought... I wonder how hard those would be to put on the back of a Gold? :)

17 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

They're thinner than the S7 I believe, the Cobalt is pretty low profile.   I think they hook in (Velcro) the same way too. Perhaps Max or someone that has both (@kylejt maybe?) can speak closer to them?  I've had both, but never replaced the pads on either.  I just happened to see the replacement pads the other day and I thought... I wonder how hard those would be to put on the back of a Gold? :)

I was thinking of buying the ShockTec pads and then using the fabric the existing pads are in. My fiance is very handy with a sewing machine, so she could sew them back and make sure it's a tight fit. Just not sure whether the 1/8" or 1/4" padding would be best. Probably the 1/4".

• Like 2

I have both the S7 and the cobalt so I could lay them out side by each to get a good look at what the overlay may look like.  I do know the S7 is a tank of a protector. This wont be until later tonight as my.. scratching my head.. Well no my S7 is in my bag in the truck.  Sigh  next smoke break I'll see if I can muster up a decent photo of the two.

Ok the pads are thinner as you can see the shape looks very compatible, with the shoulder cups being a maybe not on that area as the S7 ones are REALLY thick.

PXL_20240501_164856769.jpg

PXL_20240501_164849752.jpg

PXL_20240501_164832190.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

after staring at these a bit more, I would suggest buying the largest size pads for the cobolt to slide into the S7

Cobalt is one size padding.  That's the beauty of it!

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

I was thinking of buying the ShockTec pads and then using the fabric the existing pads are in. My fiance is very handy with a sewing machine, so she could sew them back and make sure it's a tight fit. Just not sure whether the 1/8" or 1/4" padding would be best. Probably the 1/4".

That's an excellent skill to have - and may indeed be your best route for an exact fit.... however, after looking at the above photo from the Arch Angel, I think the two CP's have much more in common in sizing than one may think. 

I'd definitely recommend the 1/4" (or sandwich two 1/8"s to make the quarter) for protection and absorption.

Regardless of what you choose, I'd love to see the finished product!

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I have both the S7 and the cobalt so I could lay them out side by each to get a good look at what the overlay may look like.  I do know the S7 is a tank of a protector. This wont be until later tonight as my.. scratching my head.. Well no my S7 is in my bag in the truck.  Sigh  next smoke break I'll see if I can muster up a decent photo of the two.

Ok the pads are thinner as you can see the shape looks very compatible, with the shoulder cups being a maybe not on that area as the S7 ones are REALLY thick.

PXL_20240501_164856769.jpg

PXL_20240501_164849752.jpg

PXL_20240501_164832190.jpg

Great comparison!  Do you find the Cobalt pads to be much/any better than the S7, or worse? I have the S7 and love it - I don't really care about the profile - I just want the most protection, but if the Cobalt is significantly better I'd consider switching.

• Like 1

Well let me just say this between the two.  If I got a 12 U pitcher who's throwing with horrible control and a 10u catcher who its his 1st time catching yeah im running the s7 as the protection is that of a tank.  

But the cobalt has done me well I cant recall taking any shots to it that I did not shrug off.  The padding on the s7 is much much  more of a slimming profile also.

to note the cobalt is way cooler that s7 seems to hang onto heat like it was built for it. If you do a lot of 80 degree plus days you wont want that S7  my 2 cents but I am a little heat sensitive

• Like 1

So here it is 

while it will work I would think you may want something more substantial on the part that it hangs over the shoulder and back .  the little piece from the cobalt does not provide total coverage their and to me that would probably be a pressure point.  The chest area I think would provide adequate cushioning and separation from the person underneath it.

PXL_20240501_203358390.jpg.c8ac38bcdbabe0d9e98bcece1a0a2411.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @ArchAngel72. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. While the Cobalt pads would likely "work," I would like to do something more custom.

Going with Umpguard or doing it on my own seem to be the two best options at this point.

My last plate of the season is Friday, and then it will be time to knuckle down and start the process. I have a Force 3 that I can use in the off-season if it takes me some time to get this done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Thank you @ArchAngel72. I appreciate you taking the time to do that. While the Cobalt pads would likely "work," I would like to do something more custom.

Going with Umpguard or doing it on my own seem to be the two best options at this point.

My last plate of the season is Friday, and then it will be time to knuckle down and start the process. I have a Force 3 that I can use in the off-season if it takes me some time to get this done.

Are you doing it primarily for something slimmer, or just for new pads, because All-Star replacement pads are available:

https://www.baseballmonkey.com/all-star-umpire-equipment-cpu4000-rp-s7-chest-protector-replacement-padding.html

29 minutes ago, Rock Bottom said:

Are you doing it primarily for something slimmer, or just for new pads, because All-Star replacement pads are available:

https://www.baseballmonkey.com/all-star-umpire-equipment-cpu4000-rp-s7-chest-protector-replacement-padding.html

Mainly to make it slimmer, but it's good to know that the pads are still available.

With these new options popping on the scene, y'all are making me want to actually test these new foams and paddings to see just how impact resistant they are and how well they handle the heat.

For example, I'm wondering if that Shocktec could be perforated to ventilate or if that would compromise it.  Did the new guy ever explain what his was?  

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

With these new options popping on the scene, y'all are making me want to actually test these new foams and paddings to see just how impact resistant they are and how well they handle the heat.

For example, I'm wondering if that Shocktec could be perforated to ventilate or if that would compromise it.

I would love to play with some of it too. Max has shared some good ideas for separating padding into separate areas for arms, shoulders, chest R, chest L, etc. that I'd like to create to help promote better airflow between the chest plates and the wearer.  I just don't have the heavy-duty sewing machine to make it look professional in the end like the new guys and existing manufacturers do.

We need for one of our group to hit the lottery so we can crowd-fund a solution to help promote umpire gear growth on the board!  There are a lot of new foams that can be used with more being created seemingly everyday.  

Then, one could start talking about the new fabrics coming out to help us stay cooler from that aspect too. I have a feeling that the next few years could be a golden era for umpiring equipment & apparel if the manufacturers do things right and invest in the R&D costs.

8 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Did the new guy ever explain what his was?  

I just hear 'like Team Wendy", but have never heard a description of what it is.   I guess I can understand that to some degree as it's his business and don't want to reveal too much.

• Like 1

ShockTec is going to send me samples of each product in the different thicknesses. That will help a ton with deciding which one to use. One option I am considering is just riveting (using the Chicago screws) the padding directly to the layer under the shell. I never remove the pads to wash them anyway (ick!) so being able to remove them isn't really important to me.