Music and concerts

Richvee

Yes, there were two Eddie and the Cruisers movies in the 1980s. The songs were written and performed by John Cafferty. The fictional band though was supposed to be from Jersey and I figured Mr. Richvee would have been very well acquainted with the movies and the soundtrack--I believe it went triple platinum or better. 

I think the real band is from Rhode Island.

5 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

Yes, there were two Eddie and the Cruisers movies in the 1980s. The songs were written and performed by John Cafferty. The fictional band though was supposed to be from Jersey and I figured Mr. Richvee would have been very well acquainted with the movies and the soundtrack--I believe it went triple platinum or better. 

I think the real band is from Rhode Island.

That’s that whole Springsteen/Asbury Park/ Jersey stuff. I wasn’t a huge fan. Though I did see Bruce at MSG back in 79. I was more likely to be found in LaMoures. The rock Capitol of Brooklyn, or some other hard rock club somewhere between Long Island, NYC and North Jersey. 🤘

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Richvee said:

Gene is a special kind of AH. I can tell you some stories about how he treated a friend on mine…. HUGE Kiss fan and one of the biggest collectors on the east coast Gene actually showed up at a rock convention my buddy was displaying at, with armed security and about 5 policemen and confiscated my friend’s collection. All the while standing in front of him, in his face waving his hand and repeating “bye bye Al, bye bye Al”. Pretty sickening individual. 

On what grounds was he able to confiscate your friend's collection?

~Dawg

On 1/15/2024 at 12:14 PM, BLarson said:

My first concert was Kiss when I was 14...my mom drove me and my buddy and my 3 younger siblings 90 miles 1 way, went shopping/ate/waited for me and buddy while we were at the show...then drove us 90 miles back home.

Based on what I expect the female part of that crowd was like, I bet she dropped you all off as boys and picked you up as MEN. :)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

On what grounds was he able to confiscate your friend's collection?

~Dawg

Gene(Kiss inc) said it all belonged to him. My buddy had a massive collection. Gold -and platinum records, costume pieces, (a full Ace costume, Gene’s dragon boots) , other stage props from the earlier days. The list goes on. Long story short, they got a lot of stuff from a storage loft-/office in NYC that was leased to  Cassablanca records and Aucoin management. Rent on the property was many months delinquent, and the place had been  abandoned. my friend and some other collectors ponied up money to rent the warehouse for a month. Years later Gene got wind of these collectors, claimed it all belonged him. and basically hunted down these collectors and “took his stuff back”. Yes, they had the lease agreement, but trying to fight the Kiss corporation in court would have been far too expensive and probably futile. 

12 hours ago, Richvee said:

Gene(Kiss inc) said it all belonged to him. My buddy had a massive collection. Gold -and platinum records, costume pieces, (a full Ace costume, Gene’s dragon boots) , other stage props from the earlier days. The list goes on. Long story short, they got a lot of stuff from a storage loft-/office in NYC that was leased to  Cassablanca records and Aucoin management. Rent on the property was many months delinquent, and the place had been  abandoned. my friend and some other collectors ponied up money to rent the warehouse for a month. Years later Gene got wind of these collectors, claimed it all belonged him. and basically hunted down these collectors and “took his stuff back”. Yes, they had the lease agreement, but trying to fight the Kiss corporation in court would have been far too expensive and probably futile. 

That's interesting - OJ Simpson went to prison for doing almost the exact same thing (except, I guess, he and his thugs brought guns)

In HS & College I went to a lot of concerts, but not so much since. I actually went to my first in forever the summer of 2021, but haven't gone to another since. 

But, I keep thinking I want to do some more, especially as some of my favorite bands are not getting any younger...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

That's interesting - OJ Simpson went to prison for doing almost the exact same thing (except, I guess, he and his thugs brought guns)

That's true. Gene brought papers....And police with guns. There's a legal and illegal way to be a D*c$. 

• 1 month later...

So, picking up this thread now that more of the music calendar is starting to present itself...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are coming to town at a shed that's a 20 minute drive for me. I am more than a casual fan, far less than a diehard because like so many great artists and groups I like, I have never seen him live. This might be my last chance given that he is now 78. I have all his stuff and am proud to say, in this digital streaming age and Neil's battles with Spotify over their decision to stream Joe Rogan, Neil's catalogue is single-handedly keeping me with one foot planted in the analog age because the only way to listen to him is on CD, vinyl or tape. (I know he was also a partner in Sony's Sonos streaming platform which he was touting as superior audio quality while also neglecting to mention it came at a significantly higher price tag than the other services...)

So, my question is...lawn seats for Neil Young AND Crazy Horse are...ONE hundred AND...twenty NINE dollars! Plus fees! For the lawn? For the lawn! So, am I doing this? I have a few months to wait it out. Neil doesn't exactly fly off the shelf anymore so, I'd like to think we'll see some slippage on pricing as the date nears. What are you guys seeing in your towns for his ticket prices? And when was the last time any of you saw him perform and can you please comment on the performance? Thanks, I'll hang up and take your answers off-air...

~Dawg

20 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

So, picking up this thread now that more of the music calendar is starting to present itself...

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are coming to town at a shed that's a 20 minute drive for me. I am more than a casual fan, far less than a diehard because like so many great artists and groups I like, I have never seen him live. This might be my last chance given that he is now 78. I have all his stuff and am proud to say, in this digital streaming age and Neil's battles with Spotify over their decision to stream Joe Rogan, Neil's catalogue is single-handedly keeping me with one foot planted in the analog age because the only way to listen to him is on CD, vinyl or tape. (I know he was also a partner in Sony's Sonos streaming platform which he was touting as superior audio quality while also neglecting to mention it came at a significantly higher price tag than the other services...)

So, my question is...lawn seats for Neil Young AND Crazy Horse are...ONE hundred AND...twenty NINE dollars! Plus fees! For the lawn? For the lawn! So, am I doing this? I have a few months to wait it out. Neil doesn't exactly fly off the shelf anymore so, I'd like to think we'll see some slippage on pricing as the date nears. What are you guys seeing in your towns for his ticket prices? And when was the last time any of you saw him perform and can you please comment on the performance? Thanks, I'll hang up and take your answers off-air...

~Dawg

He’s playing a few places around here NJ/NY/CT. I didn’t look at the 2 nights in NY, but the CT show is just about sold out with some orchestra seats available for $750or more each. There’s no lawn at that place. Camden NJ also had very few seats left…. The cheapest bring $600 each. They have lawn “ seats”  just under $100. You can stand, sit in the grass or rent a chair( another $30. Hard pass for me. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 6:41 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

For the lawn? For the lawn! So, am I doing this?

This is the type of show that i will wait until the day of to buy tix. If I can get them for a price I am willing to pay, then I go. If not.....

2022 fall I got to see Alice Cooper from the lawn in Nashville for $8/ticket. At that price, i had no choice but to go.

Some upcoming shows I am attending here in So Cal 

Face to Face- Night One of Three SOLD OUT shows at Belly Up Tavern

Placebo- Night One of 2 SOLD OUT nights at Pappy & Harriets 

Hot Water Music @ Observatory in Santa Ana

Pearl Jam in Sacramento (tix not on sale yet BUT I got a guy who has access to a suite and have 100% confirmation)

Lining up to be a good summer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

This is the type of show that i will wait until the day of to buy tix. If I can get them for a price I am willing to pay, then I go. If not.....

2022 fall I got to see Alice Cooper from the lawn in Nashville for $8/ticket. At that price, i had no choice but to go.

Alice Cooper? For $8? Yeah...that's a no-brainer. I'm not even a fan of his really but, I would do that.

Well, that's the nice thing in the internet age. I can check in with Neil's prices daily, weekly, whenever and if it hits my price, I can pull the trigger. I don't have to pick up the phone or God forbid drive to a ticket window anywhere like the old days. 

~Dawg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

Some upcoming shows I am attending here in So Cal 

Face to Face- Night One of Three SOLD OUT shows at Belly Up Tavern

Placebo- Night One of 2 SOLD OUT nights at Pappy & Harriets 

Hot Water Music @ Observatory in Santa Ana

Pearl Jam in Sacramento (tix not on sale yet BUT I got a guy who has access to a suite and have 100% confirmation)

Lining up to be a good summer

Alice is always a great show. I saw that tour. First show post Covid I believe. I must have seen Alice 7-8 times. Saw him last summer with the “Hollywood Vampires”…. Alice, Joe Perry and Johnny Depp on guitars. Great show. 

• Like 1

Our family farm is on the county trunk highway that leads 9 miles south to the gateway to Alpine Valley Amphitheater in East Troy, WI. Yup. That one… where Stevie Ray Vaughn died. 
As such, as kids, we’d pedal down and listen to innumerable concerts from the grounds and ski hill opposite it, and not pay a dime. Pedal back by flashlight. Times were different back then. 

Besides that, we had Summerfest in Milwaukee every summer. And, the Wisconsin State Fair. And, the Waukesha County Fair… and all the other county fairs in the area. If you were enterprising enough back then, as a kid, you’d “employ” yourself as parking or setup crew, and listen in for free when the shows started. As I said, times were different then. 

My personal campaign is to see bands or artists on smaller, more intimate, more tucked-in-a-corner venues. BB King at the Mahalia Jackson Theater. Kings of Leon and The Head And The Heart at the Mesa Amphitheater. Mumford & Sons at The Willow. Fitz & the Tantrums at The Edison. Gin Blossoms at Copeland Park. 

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit is on my “Must See” list. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Besides that, we had Summerfest in Milwaukee every summer. And, the Wisconsin State Fair. And, the Waukesha County Fair… and all the other county fairs in the area.

My youth... It's amazing how much we pack into the only 4 livable months we get annually. (if you hate winter as much as I do) Not to mention all of the smaller venues like Shank Hall, The Rave/Eagles Club, etc. that host some great artist.

• Like 1

I just worked security for the Eagles and Disturbed in the past month.  I was happy to do the Eagles...I've missed them every other time they were in town.

Disturbed was also very good...the most fire I've seen in a long time in a show....lots of fire.

Next month we get Stevie Nicks and Olivia Rogrigo (which I'm going to skip...too many screaming girls).

Bryan Adams cancelled.

Not concert related...I'll be working first round NCAA basketball tournaments on 3/21 and 3/23...those are always fun to do.

• Like 3