New mlb umpire shirts

Sw-ump

7 hours ago, BlueRanger said:

They look like absolute garbage.

Now they fit and feel like garbage too? Amazing...

I bought four that I will be sending back (each color in a base and plate size). Didn’t try on the larger shirts with my CP on but I will just for the heck of it before sending them back. I wasn’t very impressed with the fabric on the shirts I opened so I decided to send them back. Thought the intro deal was a good price (plus the NASO discount with Ump Attire) so thought I might as well give them a try. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FranklinT said:

I bought four that I will be sending back (each color in a base and plate size). Didn’t try on the larger shirts with my CP on but I will just for the heck of it before sending them back.

Please check, Franklin… 

I have a hunch. Not only did they employ the wrong fabric (my expert guess is they used the pre-“Body Flex” fabric from the 2016 Panel Style V1), but they also missed on a super important design feature on the 2016 Panel Style – the flank panels act as gussets, with just enough stretch so as to conform and reshape around the added bulk of most CPs. No panel → no gusset → no stretch = crap fit 💩. These likely just have a cheap, lazy single stitch up each flank… yes? 

If this is the case, Smitty went cheap & lazy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Please check, Franklin… 

I have a hunch. Not only did they employ the wrong fabric (my expert guess is they used the pre-“Body Flex” fabric from the 2016 Panel Style V1), but they also missed on a super important design feature on the 2016 Panel Style – the flank panels act as gussets, with just enough stretch so as to conform and reshape around the added bulk of most CPs. No panel → no gusset → no stretch = crap fit 💩. These likely just have a cheap, lazy single stitch up each flank… yes? 

Good points!  Now that I think about it, those side panels do allow for a nice amount of movement and “roominess.” I also think those shirts are very cool and comfortable in warm weather.   I can’t imagine these new shirts are nearly as comfortable in warm weather.

Will report back tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Please check, Franklin… 

Not the same fabric as the V1. It's hard to describe what they actually used. It's unlike anything I've seen they, or anyone else use. It's very different looking and feeling. Bottom line, is it doesn't flex very well at all. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Good points!  Now that I think about it, those side panels do allow for a nice amount of movement and “roominess.” I also think those shirts are very cool and comfortable in warm weather.   I can’t imagine these new shirts are nearly as comfortable in warm weather.

Will report back tomorrow.

10 hours ago, MadMax said:

Please check, Franklin… 

Tried on the new Smitty replica shirts in XL (my plate size) along with one of my existing V2 body flex shirts in sky blue with the black side panels also in XL

The V2 is so much lighter and more "flow."  It has a lot more give and the fabric is much much lighter and seems to have more room with my CP on, especially under the arms.  The new replica shirts don't give nearly as much and the fabric is noticeably heavier and duller when comparing the shirts side by side.  There also seems to be noticeably less room under the arms on the new replica shirts.

If anybody hasn't seen these in person or isn't aware, the blue color is noticeably different between the shirts.  The current version is lighter and a bit more dull where the sky blue on the V2 is brighter.

Easy decision to send these back.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, MadMax said:

Smitty just keeps striking me as that company that lists bed frames on Amazon, which are replicas of top-tier products, where appearance is > substance. They put a shirt out there at $40… why?? Is it to make the best (quality) shirt they can, or is it to recreate / capture the appearance of the (current) MLB shirt??

Smitty seriously has to sort out their  sh*t. For everything they do right they do something bad/inexplicable. 

Let's start with their poly spandex pants. Great, light material, but both plate and especially the base pants are way too baggy. Also one belt loop started breaking right from the start. That might be just bad luck on my pair though. Still it doesn't help with the overall impressions.

Then the shirts. The pre Body flex shirts (classic style) had a decent cut, but the fabric wasn't good and also the chest pocket was too small and not deep enough. Then came the V1 MLB replica, which, from what I read wasnt all too good either (never had that one, so I can't say anything about it). Then they introduced the body flex fabric. I really like that fabric. It's super light and breathable. But here the classic style shirts have an awkward cut. They described it as a more athletic fit, but in the end the body of the shirts seems even bigger than on the old shirts (probably because the fabric has more give to it) and only the sleeves are tighter. And also shorter. Too short and tight in my opinion. With those shirts I could perfectly go with an M as a plate shirt if it didn't have those short and tight sleeves. Even with size L the fit around my shoulders/arms with my chest protector (All-Star Cobalt) looks and feels weird. The V2 MLB replicas are a bit better in that respect, but they still have similar issues. And now apparently they absolutely messed up the V3 Replicas.

Smitty could make really great products, but somehow they always mess up...

4 minutes ago, GoAn42 said:

Smitty seriously has to sort out their  sh*t. For everything they do right they do something bad/inexplicable. 

Let's start with their poly spandex pants. Great, light material, but both plate and especially the base pants are way too baggy. Also on belt loop started breaking right from the start. That might be just bad luck on my pair though. Still it doesn't help with the overall impressions.

Then the shirts. The pre Body flex shirts (classic style) had a decent cut, but the fabric wasn't good and also the chest pocket was too small and not deep enough. Then came the V1 MLB replica, which, from what I read wasnt all too good either (never had that one, so I can't say anything about it). Then they introduced the body flex fabric. I really like that fabric. It's super light and breathable. But here the classic style shirts have an awkward cut. They described it as a more athletic fit, but in the end the body of the shirts seems even bigger than on the old shirts (probably because the fabric has more give to it) and only the sleeves are tighter. And also shorter. Too short and tight in my opinion. With those shirts I could perfectly go with an M as a plate shirt if it didn't have those short and tight sleeves. Even with size L the fit around my shoulders/arms with my chest protector (All-Star Cobald) looks and feels weird. The V2 MLB replicas are a bit better in that respect, but they still have similar issues. And now apparently they absolutely messed up the V3 Replicas.

Smitty could make really great products, but somehow they always mess up...

Cheap junk made overseas. I think that’s the problem. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Yes, overseas production is a problem.  They could have thought they fixed the issue and then sent it off to their factory with new instructions.... only to have the factory lack good quality control and still put out an inferior product.  There are too many cases of this and unless the owner demands perfection before accepting the product, then it keeps on happening.   But you can't afford a shirt that would be made and produced in the USA because of labor cost and taxes.  FWIW, the Chinese have been excellent tailors for over a thousand years, it's just their quality isn't matching up with the quantity they're producing.  Most likely, a US company would benefit from having it's own separate quality control person or unit stationed overseas to sign off on each bundle of shirts before allowing them to be shipped out to the US - but then that increases cost as well.  

Speaking purely for myself, I am happy with Smitty products overall.   Yes, there are little things that would help - but as an amateur umpire I look good enough to appear professional and perform my job in as much comfort as could be expected.  The base pants are a little loose, but I'd rather that than too tight.   I'd really like the expandable pants to stay up better in the front, but I can live with it as it is now, so just deal with it.  The shirts with the panels are much cooler than the others and I like the BodyFlex fabric, but I am not a fan of the new collars or sleeves either - but I can live with it at my level.  If you notice the trend, I just roll with what we have.  Equipment I can alter myself to fit me better, but shirts are pretty much left stock for me as I cannot and will not pay to have them altered and increase my overall costs.  As it is, I look better than a lot of my peers out there because I keep my stuff clean, pressed and buy new hats & shirts when needed.

To each their own, but I will keep using Smitty personally as they offer me the best value for my funds.

With that said, I will NOT be buying the newest MLB shirts.  One, few in my area even have the old MLB blue or black shirts, so there is no pressing need for me to upgrade to the newest version - and only be unable to wear them anyhow. Plus, with the feedback I'm hearing from my peers, I don't want them anyhow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

Yes, overseas production is a problem.  They could have thought they fixed the issue and then sent it off to their factory with new instructions.... only to have the factory lack good quality control and still put out an inferior product.  There are too many cases of this and unless the owner demands perfection before accepting the product, then it keeps on happening.   But you can't afford a shirt that would be made and produced in the USA because of labor cost and taxes.  FWIW, the Chinese have been excellent tailors for over a thousand years, it's just their quality isn't matching up with the quantity they're producing.  Most likely, a US company would benefit from having it's own separate quality control person or unit stationed overseas to sign off on each bundle of shirts before allowing them to be shipped out to the US - but then that increases cost as well.  

Speaking purely for myself, I am happy with Smitty products overall.   Yes, there are little things that would help - but as an amateur umpire I look good enough to appear professional and perform my job in as much comfort as could be expected.  The base pants are a little loose, but I'd rather that than too tight.   I'd really like the expandable pants to stay up better in the front, but I can live with it as it is now, so just deal with it.  The shirts with the panels are much cooler than the others and I like the BodyFlex fabric, but I am not a fan of the new collars or sleeves either - but I can live with it at my level.  If you notice the trend, I just roll with what we have.  Equipment I can alter myself to fit me better, but shirts are pretty much left stock for me as I cannot and will not pay to have them altered and increase my overall costs.  As it is, I look better than a lot of my peers out there because I keep my stuff clean, pressed and buy new hats & shirts when needed.

To each their own, but I will keep using Smitty personally as they offer me the best value for my funds.

With that said, I will NOT be buying the newest MLB shirts.  One, few in my area even have the old MLB blue or black shirts, so there is no pressing need for me to upgrade to the newest version - and only be unable to wear them anyhow. Plus, with the feedback I'm hearing from my peers, I don't want them anyhow.

I think it's telling MLB guys are being provided the Smitty pants.  Who would have ever thought that would happen 15 years ago?

57 minutes ago, FranklinT said:

I think it's telling MLB guys are being provided the Smitty pants.  Who would have ever thought that would happen 15 years ago?

Very true. I love the feel of the better material once it starts warming up.  But I still rock my poly-wool's when the season starts in March here in Ohio.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FranklinT said:

Ehhh… in today’s market, there’s no way to make clothing or shoes here in the States, at feasible and competitive pricing, to fuel the stock-and-order-fulfillment structure we (our culture) have. Gear – hardgoods or specialized clothing – is in a different category, but you can see how it manifests in the wildly different prices for like-like pieces (Example: the Wilson Gold CP, the Douglas Pro CP, and the Champion P2xx CP). 

16 hours ago, GoAn42 said:

For everything they do right they do something bad/inexplicable. 

Smitty’s main, core problem is rooted deeper than that. It stems from being reactive instead of proactive, and being… I can’t say “out of touch” with the market… but, letting the market (which is fickle, we know) direct them, instead of getting out front and directing the market. 

Exhibit 1: The name. “Smitty”. The latest generations don’t get it, and when they’ve heard the word “smitty”, it’s been fired off by elder umpires to deride another umpire as being shoddy, or overly-officious, or lacking relatability or “touch” for the game. Today’s generations have one of their terms – “sus”, meaning suspect, shady, or untrustworthy. If I was trying to compliment one of my umpire colleagues, would I say, “that’s a very Smitty call!”? No, not at all. Words – and their meanings, plural, across generations – matter. 

Exhibit 2: Their shoes. Yes, there is a dire need for umpire shoes, especially plate shoes. However, instead of running a market survey so as to determine what features are lacking, or what makes one plate shoe “better” than another, or partnering with one of the hundreds of CAD/CAM shoe design-&-production entities in SE Asia (incl. China), Smitty instead merely acquires an old New Balance planform, and replicates it??? WTH??? And, it’s not like they even tried to remedy any of the shortcomings / flaws of that previous model!! 

Exhibit 3: Their shirts. Ohhhh, where to start. Instead of repeating the contributions (gripes) of my colleagues and gear-nuts, I’ll pitch out there three things that haven’t happened, that I estimate need to happen, for Smitty to enact to “level up” their shirts and become the market standard for umpire (and officiating) clothing: 

Aside from changing their name… 

1. Jettison / dump / trash / discontinue / fire-sale every style or model of shirt and jacket pre-2010. I’d even dare to say pants, too (goodbye heather grey!!). All those “classic” styles are a f*€king millstone around your corporate neck. No one’s buying them! And if they do need one, it’s not going to be in a quantity that even dents the amount of resources you expended in producing that one shirt! And, likely, your price is going to actually dissuade the official looking for it, since he’s likely so frugal as to seek out the lowest price possible – and Cliff Keen still makes that crap. With that enacted, plot a plan to discontinue the 2010 vertical stripe style in the next 2-3 years (if you want to be truly bold, do it now). 
  2. Get out in front of market trends, and create some of your own “splashes”. TheOfficialsChoice did that, trotting out some 15-20 different colors. Some were successes (Bermuda Blue), other fell flat (Purple), while others – like ‘em or hate ‘em (Camo, 4 colors) – got guys talking. The only risk I’ve seen Smitty take with the 2016 Panel Style is Grey, and Pink. That’s it(?… !… ?). If you really wanted to cause a sensational splash, and churn the market, you’d produce a navy-with-red-panel shirt… you know, for use by all those NFHS states still (stuck on) using navy. TOC failed because of the Pandemic-panic, not because of how he ran the business (unlike +POS). 
  3. Conduct a focused market survey, or cultivate a test-focus-proving group (my email is in my profile, fellas) that will tell you – exactly – what characteristics work and don’t work in the uniforms. A proving group would have told you that the reason why the 2016 Panel-style shirt fits so much better than your 2023 “Sleek” style is because the panel – of the panel-style – is itself stretchable. And thus, to achieve the look of the MLB “Sleek” style, you don’t have to necessarily remove that component & feature; instead, incorporate (keep) it, albeit in black (or sky-blue, whichever the case may be). With that, you’re not just replicating the look, you’re making a better, more feature-filled and inclusive product! 
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 1:29 PM, blue32 said:

I would add, since we can dream, is to also be able to order shirts with pockets, and without.

I don't know if it's really necessary. On lower levels, you have one umpire who will basically use one shirt all day. Higher-level umpires? Well, we now start to need that pocket. MLB level has them all using their lineup cards to back each other up, and in college, one umpire is responsible for shadowing mound visits, etc. So the days of "base umpire doesn't have to do much" are pretty much over. 

On 10/9/2023 at 11:30 PM, UmpWRB4 said:

I was thinking of buying them, but reading these reviews and opinions on the fellow umpires that have the jerseys, I think I may just stick to my Smitty V2!😬I think that they look great on the MLB guys but I don’t want to sacrifice look for comfort!

Curious if UA ever removes the discount on these.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, TheRockawayKid said:

I don't know if it's really necessary. On lower levels, you have one umpire who will basically use one shirt all day. Higher-level umpires? Well, we now start to need that pocket. MLB level has them all using their lineup cards to back each other up, and in college, one umpire is responsible for shadowing mound visits, etc. So the days of "base umpire doesn't have to do much" are pretty much over. 

I’d buy shirts without pockets. For smaller guys, the pocket sits too low. Besides that, I don’t put my lineup holder in there - it goes in the left ball bag. Hated the feeling of anything bouncing around in there, or risk it falling out…or having a ball smash off it. That pocket isn’t crucial. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thatsnotyou said:

I’d buy shirts without pockets. For smaller guys, the pocket sits too low. Besides that, I don’t put my lineup holder in there - it goes in the left ball bag. Hated the feeling of anything bouncing around in there, or risk it falling out…or having a ball smash off it. That pocket isn’t crucial. 

I just put my lineup card and pen in the pocket. The lineup cards are paper so they do not move at all and the pen has a clip to clip on the pocket. 

• When talking about pens 🖊️ get a pen with a clip to clip to pocket and make sure it is a click pen ( it makes it fast to write rather than removing the cap from a non-click pen)

Overall I like having the pocket of my shirts, but I hate it when you buy new shirts and the company in which you buy your shirt from, folds the pocket on the shirt when they are shipping it and it has a big, old fold in the middle!

11 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

The only thing bad with the old pen in the pocket is when you take a shot there and your pen breaks… and leaks!

Reminds me of when Mike Everitt (Retired crew chief, #57) was hit by a ball in the pocket in D.C. And the ball crushed the pen in to pieces.

• Here is the link to the video

https://streamable.com/sebfy

On 10/12/2023 at 7:08 PM, Thatsnotyou said:

If your lineup holder is in your left ball bag, and I'm assuming baseballs are in the right bag, where do you keep your snacks?

• Haha 1