LL Mechanics...why so robotic and similar?

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 630 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

I don't work LL and have always had great respect for those that do. While watching some regional games this week, I was struck by how similar all of the LL umpire mechanics are. Hammers only, no pointers...why does LL set a standard and train to allow for so little variances in mechanics? Or stated another way...why does nearly every other brand of baseball allow for more personalization of an umpire's mechanics?

As always...not a complaint, not a criticism. Merely a question to broaden my understanding of the world outside my own...

~Dawg

My view: LL umpires are a large and diverse group given there are 2.6M LL players (vs 482k HS and 50k college). The umpires are often pressed parents pressed into service so the less variation the better in training. Taking that ethos to heart, they want the example set in their most visible setting (others know better than I how State, Regional and WS umpires are selected).

I switched to a point last year and no one said anything (and I did games with my league UIC and the district UIC).

Williamsport LL charge you a fee to attend their "official clinics" in CT. and train you to do it "their way" . . . funny huh . . . but they don't believe LL Umps should get paid. Do an LL game what is comfortable to you. If they don't like it, . . . tell them to get another VOLUNTEER Ump!

59 minutes ago, BigBlue4u said:

I am glad to see that LL finally wised up and is using four umpires rather than six in the LLWS.  LLWS umpires were being asked to use mechanics they rarely, if ever, used during the regular season for the most important games of the year.

Not saying they don't plan to in the LLWS, but I saw 6 in a regional game yesterday and 4 today (announcer said "5 umpires" - I assume on replay on site? Announcer also butchered my buddy's name but, oh well). 

Agreed that 6 is never used. Even 3 or 4 man are rarely used until we get to League finals / District semifinals and beyond (and not always even then)

Only a theory...But due to the small field (60ft. Diamond) Some of the baseball mechanics are derived from softball mechanics. I am also willing to bet that there are a good amount of LL Baseball umpires that also do LL softball or higher levels of softball. Some of the style and mechanics seem to be similar. Some regions also have standard mechanics that they teach during their local and regional umpire clinics. This also makes umpire evaluation more consistent across various regions.

• Like 2

I can confirm that LL has advanced 'camps' / 'meetings' where they get all of the umpires into town and go over what they 'want'.  And yes, ... the hammer is what they want/require.

I worked with a guy this year during HS season who will be at Williamsport, and he gave me the low down.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings brothers,

I don't work LL and have always had great respect for those that do. While watching some regional games this week, I was struck by how similar all of the LL umpire mechanics are. Hammers only, no pointers...why does LL set a standard and train to allow for so little variances in mechanics? Or stated another way...why does nearly every other brand of baseball allow for more personalization of an umpire's mechanics?

As always...not a complaint, not a criticism. Merely a question to broaden my understanding of the world outside my own...

~Dawg

Three things:

1.  I agree with you (and I work LL games).

2.  As others have posted in this thread, I use a pointer for strike calls and our District and League UICs haven't said anything to me.

3.  The real indoctrination apparently comes when you go to the required Regional/National clinics where LL nitpicks every little thing about your mechanic (so I've heard).

Anyone that watches LLWS either BB or SB will soon realize there is no conformity to LL mechanics or knowledge / enforcement of rules . . . and these umps are supposed to be the best selection of umps in LL. Watched this one the other day: R1 only. Batter hits short fly back of second base which is caught. U1 signals and calls infield fly! R1 is advancing to second and stays there. No challenge from defensive manager. No attempt to tag R2 or throw back to first for tag up. Since then, it just gets better and better for SMH HA!   

I train LL umpires utilizing the mechanics taught at the Western Region. They have softened a little on the personal variations, at least this year.

Every year, our district alone on average trains 250 umpires, some brand new, some returning. Almost none of these folks officiate at any other level, or at all other than for their LL commitments. So that being said, we train them all cookie cutter; how else would you propose trying to have some standardization among such a large group of people? Just in our section I would bet we train close to 1000 umpires a year. Region wide? a ton.

We teach the basic 6: Ball calls in either the wrap, modified wrap or Gerry Davis. Strike call from the same stances, stand up, hammer the strike. Time from the plate stances. Safe/out/foul as a base umpire. When getting to soft toss and teaching the plate mechanics, again, we use a standardized mechanics syllabus. We use the one voice concept: every instructor is teaching the same thing so that we limit confusion for all the new students.

Our trainings in our district comprise of several 4 hour fast start opportunities where we go through the basic calls, basic plate mechanics and very basic base mechanics as most of our games are 2 man 60' games. We also offer an 8 hour day where we reiterate the plate mechanics, as well as incorporate more details as then expand on base work and rotations.

Bottom line, you can only teach so much in a 4 or 8 hour class, and a new umpire is only going to retain so much. Allowing variation is fine, but it not how we are going to teach it, or the resulting confusion will be overwhelming.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SJA said:

Anyone that watches LLWS either BB or SB will soon realize there is no conformity to LL mechanics or knowledge / enforcement of rules . . . and these umps are supposed to be the best selection of umps in LL. Watched this one the other day: R1 only. Batter hits short fly back of second base which is caught. U1 signals and calls infield fly! R1 is advancing to second and stays there. No challenge from defensive manager. No attempt to tag R2 or throw back to first for tag up. Since then, it just gets better and better for SMH HA!   

Because we have never watched a pro, MLB 4 man crew screw up the IFF situation, right? 

I know many of the LL regional and WS umpires. Most of them are also varsity HS level umpires at a minimum with many of them being NCAA officials as well. For the majority of these folks, they are on a stage WAY bigger than any most of us will ever participate on when thinking about millions of people watching them versus our normal games of a maybe a couple hundred at most. Bottom line? Be nice... 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mudisfun said:

Allowing variation is fine, but it not how we are going to teach it, or the resulting confusion will be overwhelming.

My background (teaching, training, organizational development) says ^THAT is the point.

You teach one method.  You allow for personalization through others (or not).

A couple of points.

LL needs standardized training especially for the tournaments.  In the past, I have seen a wild range of proficiency in mechanics and movement.  Standardized mechanics will seek to have consistent strike zones at the very least.  OK, so it looks a little robotic;  get a deck of cards and deal with it!  People are so quick to criticize!  Watching the regionals, I don't see the proficiency of the kids like there used to be either.  And everybody expects the umps to get it right.

Now that they are up to 10 Regions (Mountain and Metro are new this year) you have fewer teams and umpires around anymore.  COVID had something to do with it, but the demographics are changing and there are fewer leagues and kids playing ball.  Similarly there are fewer people able to volunteer as umpires.  (Economics is killing us here in Nevada;  our association had to give up supporting two entire leagues because they didn't have enough umpires.  People need to work other jobs to earn extra money to deal with the recession.)

Four man groups are more than adequate for 60'.  San Bernardino is running THREE regional tournaments!  Managing the umpires will be a huge deal.

Mike, Las Vegas D-4

34-year LL Volunteer Umpire; West Regional Umpire 2017

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

You were there with my D62 brother Chris 'Chains' Costlow.

Yes!  Fine umpire!  We had one heck of a call when I was the plate and Chains was U1.  We coordinated on an U3K on a checked swing, and we made it look slick!  UIC said "You guys looked like you have been practicing that for 6 months!"  Chains was the finest umpire I ever worked with!

Mike

PS:  I also did Euro-Middle East Regionals in Kutno, Poland in 2008, 2010, and 2012.  I met a lot of umps from West and Northwest Region. Had a blast, and we saw the European umpires grow in skills!  I know that COVID messed everything up, but they had a great umpire development program, and I was pleased to part of it.

Mike