OBR & NCAA, vs FED

Double Up
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

It's been a little quiet around here lately, so I have a general forum question -  what are some of the biggest differences between OBR, NCAA, and FED that cause confusion and often times,  misinterpretations when officiating at the various levels? 

Some obvious ones are FED DH rules and FED In contact feints to 3B, but what about the more obscure rules not commonly understood?   

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Double Up said:

It's been a little quiet around here lately, so I have a general forum question -  what are some of the biggest differences between OBR, NCAA, and FED that cause confusion and often times,  misinterpretations when officiating at the various levels? 

Some obvious ones are FED DH rules and FED In contact feints to 3B, but what about the more obscure rules not commonly understood?   

Here's what I thought were the most important differences 25 or so years ago.  Some of this is out of date now.

https://fvbumpire.com/page.php?id=28

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:53 PM, Double Up said:

There are no differences between the three codes, or even the LL and other codes that would cause confusion. There are some rules/interps within the codes that can cause confusion. I was going to expound this thought but then I thought it doesn't need expounding. Know the rules of the code you are calling. You still might have issues with certain interps in any of them .

13 hours ago, Jimurray said:

There are no differences between the three codes, or even the LL and other codes that would cause confusion. There are some rules/interps within the codes that can cause confusion. I was going to expound this thought but then I thought it doesn't need expounding. Know the rules of the code you are calling. You still might have issues with certain interps in any of them .

To know the rules, you need to learn the rules.  That's what I assume he is asking - help in learning the rules differences.

And I can tell you around here with youth tourneys that some go by NFHS And some by OBR, there is plenty of room for confusion.

Here's the two that have confused people I work with the most:

RLI - HS is called on any throw from around the 1st base line if the runner is outside the running lane.  OBR, the umpire makes a judgement if the runner caused an errant throw.

Balk - NFHS all balks are dead ball.  OBR delayed dead ball if the pitcher delivers the pitch.

• Like 1