1977 World Series umpiring

Scissors
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1322 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Interesting to see the differences in today's world of umpiring. Hall of Fame Umpire Nestor Chylak with mechanics they would tell you not to do today! Interesting how much his head moves on every pitch, especially this one here: 

Do you think umpiring has gotten better or have things just changed?

• Like 1

I just skimmed through it looking for various plays. 

Overall IMO

• timing was fast all the way around
  • Chylak was moving A LOT
  • Look at the play at the plate at 1:19:02 --- wow. Yes he's in the HOF and I'm at my desk 
  • Then I noticed the positioning of U2 at the pick off attempt at second at 1:54:45
    • Very interesting. Would this be a better view???
    • Not turning 
  • I couldn't tell if the run down of Dusty Baker was an Ole' or not. Damn them for not having 60 HD cameras to get every angle back in 1977...
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:10 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Overall IMO

• Look at the play at the plate at 1:19:02 --- wow. Yes he's in the HOF and I'm at my desk 
  • Then I noticed the positioning of U2 at the pick off attempt at second at 1:54:45
    • Not turning 
  • I couldn't tell if the run down of Dusty Baker was an Ole' or not. Damn them for not having 60 HD cameras to get every angle back in 1977...

I suspect instant replay finally equipped umpires, and umpire schools, to effectively look for deficiencies and find better mechanics/angles/approaches.  In some ways it probably forced it.   Wasn't that the gist of the whole dispute that led to the umpires walking out in the 90's?

I think today's umpires with today's mechanics get that call at the plate right 99.99% of the time...and I can't see any universe where U2's positioning is advantageous more than 3% of the time on that pickoff play.

And isn't that what your learned positioning is about, and the continuous improvement therein - getting in the best position, for the best view, for the most likely scenarios, the majority of the time?  I'd have a hard time believing anything you're doing today is a step backwards from what they were doing/taught 40 years ago.

Take a look at the plate umpire for the 1991 world series game 7 calling balls/strikes...

On 9/9/2020 at 2:10 PM, Umpire in Chief said:

Overall IMO

• Not turning 

9:21  PU is not watching runner score, whose to say if he actually touched the plate?

LOL I think I'll stop watching it  there I don't want to pick up any bad habits  lol

What a difference though then and now.  WOOO things have come a LOOOOONG way