Uniforms

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1483 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

19 hours ago, mw94 said:

Watching all these classic games , makes me  remember the simple days when we just dressed like the postman and not  having  6 different colored shirts 

One day, I stopped by the mailboxes and this guy asked me if all the mail was in. I said yeah, I think so.

Thought "wtf is he asking me?"

Then I looked at my umpire uniform.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, AL-Ump said:

The outside protector pre dates my umpire career.  How did you hold the thing?  Left arm?  If so, how'd you take off your mask?  How did you make a "safe" call?

Ah well, I did use one when I started out. Others may have other ways. I did both hands holding the inside strap loosely, so you can tuck those elbows in. When moving, right hand pulls the protector off of the left shoulder to free the left hand for the mask. I remember guys who would put their whole arm through the strap and use the raft to knock the ball away, like a shield. 

When I started big boy baseball I switched to the Rawlings inside protector (epaulets stapled to a catchers protector). Looking back not sure how I survived!

My first few VERY LOW LEVEL rec games I used a balloon because the guy who "recruited" me used one.  I was running the league and was fortunate to have a couple of guys who had been there for decades.  He drafted me to fill in a few times, so I had to use his gear.

Granted, I knew nothing (and know little more than that now) ... but I had my left arm through it like a shield.  I honestly don't recall the mechanics I used, but I suspect I never took my mask off.  I also suspect if I did anything right, it was a complete accident.

He is still there and still using it.

For LL, I'd still use the raft.   It's maximum protection and cooler on those hot days.  We all know most catchers at that age can't catch anything - and several don't want to even be back there at all.

ole GIF

• Like 3

On 4/3/2020 at 6:38 AM, wolfe_man said:

For LL, I'd still use the raft.   It's maximum protection and cooler on those hot days.  We all know most catchers at that age can't catch anything - and several don't want to even be back there at all.

ole GIF

My last year in Los Angeles, I worked a MSBL double with an older gentleman. My game was a 10am start and 70 degrees outside. I wore my normal Wilson Gold. His game was a 2pm start and 105 at game time.

He looked at me and said "I'm going to use the outside protector if that works for you." I told him to do his thing. It was going to be like the surface of the sun for him back there. He the told me we were going to run a no rotation game (or as he called it "old fogey mechanics"). Of which I also didnt have an issue. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1