Sign in to follow this  
Double Up

There's no rule against a Pitcher wearing a batting glove

Question

on his glove hand, is there?? If so, I've never read it.    Twice in the last 3 weeks I've had coaches ask me if it was legal for the pitcher to wear a batting glove underneath his glove...

I dont remember ever reading any rule prohibiting it.  I think its just unusual to see. 

Just checking.

7 answers to this question

There is a very important caveat to what the Little League rule is on a pitcher wearing a batting glove. Here’s what the 2019 LL RIM says about this question—

Rule 1.15(b) INSTRUCTOR’S COMMENTS:

If the pitcher wears a batting glove he/she may not then rub the ball while still wearing the batting glove. He/she is only permitted to rub up the ball between the bare hands. See Rule 8.02(a)(6).

8.02 - The pitcher shall not –

(6) deliver what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball, or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub off the ball between the bare hands;

2019 LL RIM 8.02(a)(6)

INSTRUCTOR’S COMMENTS:

If a pitcher were wearing a batting glove under his/her fielder’s glove, it would be very difficult to rub the ball “between the bare hands.” Simply, discourage the pitcher from wearing a batting glove and you avoid the problem.

If you are talking little league, which covers Juniors to 14 yrs old:

Rule 1.00 Objectives of the game
1.15b)         No pitcher shall attach to the glove any foreign material of a color different from the glove. The pitcher may wear a batting glove on the non-pitching hand under the pitcher’s glove provided the batting glove is not white, gray, or optic yellow.

No rules specific to batting gloves worn by pitchers in NFHS

Though as umpire you have the latitude to consider anything extra that's worn, as being distracting and thus not allowed.

I believe it's the same for NCAA,

While OBR has put out a reference specifically not allowing batting gloves under a pitcher's gloves.

The NCAA is the only code that has a specific rule (2019-2020 rule 9-2h) prohibiting the pitcher from wearing a batting glove under his fielder’s glove. Both the FED and OBR have official interpretations. In FED it is umpire judgment whether the batting glove is a distraction or not—

2004 NFHS Baseball Rules Interpretation SITUATION 9: The starting pitcher has been wearing a batting glove under his fielding glove. In the fifth inning, the offensive coach complains that this is not legal and the pitcher must remove the batting glove. RULING: If U1 feels that the batting glove is distracting, he would instruct F1 to remove it. If U1 feels it is not distracting, F1 would continue to be able to wear it. The umpire has sole authority to judge whether or not an item is distracting. (6-2-1f Penalty)

2018 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 3.4, p. 32):

No pitcher shall be allowed to wear a batting glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a batting glove on their glove hand, but they shall not rub the ball with the batting glove on their hand.

• Like 2

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this