Jump to content
  • 0

Umpire visits mound, then Manager


Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2650 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Newper
Posted

Between at bats, the umpire (or any other official) approaches the mound and has a chat with the pitcher.  After a while, the manager heads to the mound to see what is going on while the discussion is on going.  Does this count as a mound visit?

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Posted

^Agree with Thatsnotyou and noumpere.

Personal habit — others can weigh in — if I go to talk to a pitcher, the first thing I do is call “dead ball” ... just kidding.  :P

I call time and bring the coach out so he/she is part of the conversation and hears everything I say.  It isn’t my job to coach, but at young age levels some “preventative” officiating is in order and help teaching proper pitching is appreciated.  As we are walking out I explain what I am seeing and what I am going to say.  When we are done, the coach and I walk back together.  No charge for that one, Coach.

  • 0
Posted
1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

I call time and bring the coach out so he/she is part of the conversation and hears everything I say.  It isn’t my job to coach, but at young age levels some “preventative” officiating is in order and help teaching proper pitching is appreciated.  As we are walking out I explain what I am seeing and what I am going to say.  When we are done, the coach and I walk back together.  No charge for that one, Coach.

Could you explain this to the umpire that told me it was none of my business when I asked what he was discussing with my catcher?

  • 0
Posted
21 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Could you explain this to the umpire that told me it was none of my business when I asked what he was discussing with my catcher?

Umpires talk to catchers all the time.  Telling you it's none of your business is pretty rude on the part of the ump.

I'm sure you asked your catcher after the half-inning was over what the ump said.  Curious as to what the catcher said!

  • 0
Posted
8 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

Could you explain this to the umpire that told me it was none of my business when I asked what he was discussing with my catcher?

I’m talking about pitchers.  Your catcher?  Yeah, none of your damn business, get back in the dugout. Catcher-umpire is like attorney-client privilege. :D

 

  • 0
Posted
3 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’m talking about pitchers.  Your catcher?  Yeah, none of your damn business, get back in the dugout. Catcher-umpire is like attorney-client privilege. :D

 

If I have an umpire lecturing my 11-12 catcher I sure as hell want to know what's going on.

  • 0
Posted
5 hours ago, Lou B said:

I'm sure you asked your catcher after the half-inning was over!

Curious as to what the catcher said!

He told him to set up differently so he could see the pitch better.

Sorry Blueman - my catcher sets up for the pitch - you adapt.

  • 0
Posted
4 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I’m talking about pitchers.  Your catcher?  Yeah, none of your damn business, get back in the dugout. Catcher-umpire is like attorney-client privilege. :D

 

Yes, in that it attaches to the catcher, not the umpire. If a coach wants to know what's being said, I'd rather he hear it from me than secondhand. 

  • 0
Posted
45 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

He told him to set up differently so he could see the pitch better.

Sorry Blueman - my catcher sets up for the pitch - you adapt.

Really Coach?  

Then I better not hear anything from you when I miss that inside corner strike because I was blocked by your catcher’s positioning. 

  • 0
Posted
11 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

He told him to set up differently so he could see the pitch better.

Sorry Blueman - my catcher sets up for the pitch - you adapt.

Sorry Coach - can't call strikes if I can't see them...too bad for you

 

  • 0
Posted
On 6/15/2019 at 8:39 AM, Rich Ives said:

Could you explain this to the umpire that told me it was none of my business when I asked what he was discussing with my catcher?

Sure coach, he was telling me that he doesn't understand girls....and coaches....I was telling him it gets better as he gets older, with girls. 

  • Haha 1
  • 0
Posted

I don’t coach catchers, ever.  One of two things happens ... As Rich Ives said, I adapt OR as Blue23 said, no strikes for you.  I will adjust, but I am not moving out of the slot and into the line of fire because your catcher can’t sit still.

As for pitchers, I still don’t coach them.  In lower level, younger age ball I will bring the coach out and explain what the pitcher is doing illegally.  I don’t coach.  I don’t tell them how to fix it.  I tell them the rule and what I am seeing.  It’s up to the coach and the pitcher to figure out how to fix it.

  • 0
Posted
13 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

You have a lot to learn.

Thanks for your opinion, coach. 

  • Haha 1
  • 0
Posted
2 hours ago, blue23ll said:

Sure coach, he was telling me that he doesn't understand girls....and coaches....I was telling him it gets better as he gets older, with girls. 

I posted what the discussion was. Pay attention.

  • 0
Posted
3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

It's amazing that there are people that criticize coaches for "assisting" an umpire with calls don't seem to have a problem with umpires assisting the coach in his realm  

I’m not coaching your catcher. I’m asking him to turn a shoulder or slide a bit so I can get a look at that inside corner you’re trying to hit.  

And contrary to what you may want/ think, if I don’t see it it’s not a strike. 

  • 0
Posted
5 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I don’t coach catchers, ever.  One of two things happens ... As Rich Ives said, I adapt OR as Blue23 said, no strikes for you.  I will adjust, but I am not moving out of the slot and into the line of fire because your catcher can’t sit still.

As for pitchers, I still don’t coach them.  In lower level, younger age ball I will bring the coach out and explain what the pitcher is doing illegally.  I don’t coach.  I don’t tell them how to fix it.  I tell them the rule and what I am seeing.  It’s up to the coach and the pitcher to figure out how to fix it.

It’s not coaching. It’s asking F2 to work with you. If he didn’t want to cooperate it’s gonna be a long day for him. 

  • 0
Posted
4 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

I you can't see the pitch then you can't call it a ball either.

In fact, I had a HS catcher who was crowding the inside corner and blocking me off. I told the coach why I wasn't called the inside pitch, nothing changed, and that pitch wasn't called all day. So yes, if it's not a strike, it must be a ball. Apparently the strike wasn't as important as intimidating the batter, who knows. 

 

×
×
  • Create New...