Gerry Davis's mask

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2026 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Gerry Davis has a royal blue pad under his mask, between his mask and cap....looks like padding at least.....maybe in lieu of a hard hat?? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What game is he working?

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

Tigers _ A's

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Watching it and have no idea what it is.  At first glace thought it might be a kewl towel, but it's definitely some type of padding. Now my OCD is kicking in.  Gotta go wash my hands again.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 5:06 AM, Thunderheads said:

I did find this on MLB.com/video of the Tiger game last Friday night ...I was able to capture this .........

image.png

I just saw this now, so thanks for posting.  Definitely for concussion issues.

This is really interesting. However, Don't most concussions happen when struck around the chin area? I realize that they can happen as a result of sustaining an impact to any part of your mask but I was under the impression that the "kill zone" was around the chin area. So it seems as if this extra pad wouldn't stop the majority of impacts that result in concussions ( just my uninformed opinion)

13 minutes ago, grk17 said:

This is really interesting. However, Don't most concussions happen when struck around the chin area? I realize that they can happen as a result of sustaining an impact to any part of your mask but I was under the impression that the "kill zone" was around the chin area. So it seems as if this extra pad wouldn't stop the majority of impacts that result in concussions ( just my uninformed opinion)

I got my major concussion from one right at the chin. I’m not sure what the science is behind it, but I can tell you that I’ve taken many to the forehead area and never felt the way I did after that chin shot

1 hour ago, tpatience said:

I got my major concussion from one right at the chin. I’m not sure what the science is behind it, but I can tell you that I’ve taken many to the forehead area and never felt the way I did after that chin shot

Does “take one on the chin” ring a bell to anyone? I don’t know the physics behind it but if I take one to the chin my mask will rotate around my head and lesson the impact. Barring, of course, the perfect vector. But loose masks save ships. Other than the spring things. 

• 1 month later...