Force3 Shin Fit

rzanew
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2175 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Just received a set of Force3 Shins.

For those of you who have tried these, how are they supposed to fit?   I have the 16.5" size, and when in a crouch, they stick up from my knee an inch or two.  Are they supposed to flex with my knee? or stay straight and stick up a bit?  

Any suggestions to get a better fit are appreciated!

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

Mine stick up a bit when in my stance. I actually tuck my thumbs behind them with my fingers wrapped behind my knee.

I do the same thing and I like being able to do it.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rzanew said:

Just received a set of Force3 Shins.

For those of you who have tried these, how are they supposed to fit?   I have the 16.5" size, and when in a crouch, they stick up from my knee an inch or two.  Are they supposed to flex with my knee? or stay straight and stick up a bit?  

Any suggestions to get a better fit are appreciated!

I wear mine tight. Mine stick up at the top and I tuck my hands behind them.

• Thanks 1

I wear 18.5’s. They eventually loosen up and don’t stick out/up as much. Takes a few wearings. If they don’t loosen up you’ll get used to them. Put your thumbs under the part that sticks out for a little protection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's especially hard for me to switch. I had the Diamond Ump-Lites (I know, I know) and only had 2 straps. I hate straps cutting into the back of my knee, but you all talked these up so much I had to try them. 

They stick up on me too, but tonight is the first game and they are at least comfortable to wear.  I don't like the sticking up past my knee part though, but I'm hoping as you all say, that they'll break in within a few games.   They pull on my plate pants as well, but feel fine under my combos, so maybe I'll trot out my combos as plate pants until they break in.

6 minutes ago, GreyhoundAggie said:

Wolfe,

Did you pull out the inner padding? it makes them lower profile that way if you prefer.

I thought about it.  Tonight is a JV scrimmage, so maybe I'll pull it out and go that route.

They are comfortable to wear as I wore them around the house when I got them to see how they'd fit. 30" is my inseam as well.  I'm 5'10" ish and I was afraid that the 14.5" would be a bit small, so I went with the 16.5". 

37 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I thought about it.  Tonight is a JV scrimmage, so maybe I'll pull it out and go that route.

They are comfortable to wear as I wore them around the house when I got them to see how they'd fit. 30" is my inseam as well.  I'm 5'10" ish and I was afraid that the 14.5" would be a bit small, so I went with the 16.5". 

I'm still worried that the 16.5" is too long, as my inseam is 29"...sigh...do I take a chance of leaving an inch of my lower leg only protected by the tongue of my shoe? Decisions...

I'm 6'1 (32 inseam) and use the 16.5's.  Measuring from the top of my foot to the top of my kneecap is 18 inches.  Measuring the F3's from where the padding sits at the top of the foot to the top of the knee pad is 19 inches.

Not sure where the 16.5 measurement comes in, but it's about 16.5 inches from where the padding sits at the top of the foot to the middle of the large plate covering the knee. 

35 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I'm 6'1 (32 inseam) and use the 16.5's.  Measuring from the top of my foot to the top of my kneecap is 18 inches.  Measuring the F3's from where the padding sits at the top of the foot to the top of the knee pad is 19 inches.

Not sure where the 16.5 measurement comes in, but it's about 16.5 inches from where the padding sits at the top of the foot to the middle of the large plate covering the knee. 

That would be where the measurement lies. Bottom of the pad to the middle of the kneecap.

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

That would be where the measurement lies. Bottom of the pad to the middle of the kneecap.

If you are 16" from your foot to the middle of your kneecap, I think the 16.5's will be a good fit.  I am 17" and when I first tried them on, I felt like they might have been a tad bit short.  I love the way they fit now.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

Question for you F3 shin-wearers:

Kevlar pad in or out? How do you wear them?

Thanks

I have mine in. Never even tried them with them out. 

• Thanks 1

Do any of you wear these with mid top plate shoes?  If so what do you do with the ankle flat?  I always seem to have a tough time figuring out if I should tuck it in the shoe or leave it out.  If I tuck it in they make my shoe loose and if I leave them out they become wings on my ankles.

11 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

Do any of you wear these with mid top plate shoes?  If so what do you do with the ankle flat?  I always seem to have a tough time figuring out if I should tuck it in the shoe or leave it out.  If I tuck it in they make my shoe loose and if I leave them out they become wings on my ankles.

F3 shins don't have a flap.  

1 minute ago, Storm13 said:

Force3ShinGuardsRetake_1-1-.jpeg

That's designed for ankle protection. The little "bubbles," for lack of a better term, are really hard. Leave them on the outside of your shoe for ankle protection. 

I wear the 18.5" F3 and they do stick up a little above my knee. I wasn't sure how I felt about this until I got hit on the top of my kneecap the other day, and boy was I glad I had some more shin guard up there. 

1 minute ago, Stk004 said:

That's designed for ankle protection. The little "bubbles," for lack of a better term, are really hard. Leave them on the outside of your shoe for ankle protection. 

I wear the 18.5" F3 and they do stick up a little above my knee. I wasn't sure how I felt about this until I got hit on the top of my kneecap the other day, and boy was I glad I had some more shin guard up there. 

@Stk004 If I leave them out they just stick out like wings.  Am I doing something wrong?  

2 minutes ago, Storm13 said:

@Stk004 If I leave them out they just stick out like wings.  Am I doing something wrong?  

How do you store your shin guards? I usually put one inside the other and put them in the F3 bag. They should come straight down. You might be able to bend them back into their proper shape.

• Like 1

I have the MU460V3 and I put the shins just over the top of the tongue and the flaps lay straight down the side. Perhaps try bending those flaps in when storing them. They should lay straight down when you wear them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

Question for you F3 shin-wearers:

Kevlar pad in or out? How do you wear them?

tmimn.gif

Wolfe, buddy, the Kevlar is not in that removable pad. The Kevlar is in that riveted-on, semi-rigid liner behind the ABS plastic carapace. The spongy pad is nothing more than some open-cell sizing foam with a wicking technical mesh casing. You can launder it, and position it wherever you want to feel the best. In fact, the ankle-guard flaps are comprised of Kevlar backing a simple half-sphere dome that is more or less a ping-pong ball sawed in half.

As to what @Richvee and @Stk004 both said, the ankle guard "flaps" should hang straight down on the outside of your shoes, with the dome covering the correlating bulge on your ankle. Try to tuck them into your shoe is just going to wear out the inner liner of the shoe faster.