Mesh hats (revisited

Thunderheads
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3215 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As you all know, the search function isn't working the best right now, and ....I haven't seen this come up lately (correct me please if I'm mistaken), but ........

I know mesh hats are frowned upon (in general, or they used to be) but  ........are they truly cooler the regular hat, and ... more accepted when doing long summer tourney days?

Just wondering, .....thanks

Are we talking "mesh" as in the Richardson ProMesh style?
richardson-432-promesh-umpire-fitted-bal

... Or are we talking "mesh" as in "mesh-backed Trucker" hats?
team-combat-full-color-trucker-hat.jpg

On the first one, I wear these as 4-stitch PU hats, primarily because behind the plate, I generate a lot of heat and these don't show sweat stains, don't shrink, don't fade, and wash very easily (when I get dirt, mud, etc. on them). I also have surge-wool 4-stitch hats, but only wear them for normal-climate, singular ballgames. Otherwise, if I'm doing a 2-7 game grinder in the baking sun or the chilly drizzle, I favor the ProMesh. My BU hats are all 6-stitch surge-wool hats.

On the second one, these look shoddy, sloppy and unprofessional. A new umpire in our region wears one, and he looks like a buffoon wearing one, especially when you put it in the context of a new umpire who doesn't know that posture, mechanics, voice projection, timing all matters.

On the first one, I wear these as 4-stitch PU hats, primarily because behind the plate, I generate a lot of heat and these don't show sweat stains, don't shrink, don't fade, and wash very easily (when I get dirt, mud, etc. on them). I also have surge-wool 4-stitch hats, but only wear them for normal-climate, singular ballgames. Otherwise, if I'm doing a 2-7 game grinder in the baking sun or the chilly drizzle, I favor the ProMesh. My BU hats are all 6-stitch surge-wool hats.

On the second one, these look shoddy, sloppy and unprofessional. A new umpire in our region wears one, and he looks like a buffoon wearing one, especially when you put it in the context of a new umpire who doesn't know that posture, mechanics, voice projection, timing all matters.

LOL!!!   No, the Richardson Pro-mesh! :)  But, ..do you find them cooler?

@Thunderheads, I have been known to take my ProMesh PU hats and rinse them out, then use the hands-drier in the bathroom to dry them out, then rub ice along the inner rim liner, especially at my temples and forehead. Toss it back on the head, step out and conduct the plate meeting, and away we go... 

The major advantage I find isn't so much "coolness", it's the no-shrink, no-stain, no-fade benefits.

@Thunderheads, I have been known to take my ProMesh PU hats and rinse them out, then use the hands-drier in the bathroom to dry them out, then rub ice along the inner rim liner, especially at my temples and forehead. Toss it back on the head, step out and conduct the plate meeting, and away we go... 

The major advantage I find isn't so much "coolness", it's the no-shrink, no-stain, no-fade benefits.

thanks Max, ...I'm looking for a potentially "cooler" hat when doing long summer tourney days .... 4 or 5 per ....

Its only a trucker hat if the front is foam rubber!  :-)

Only thing I've really noticed is that they will rub on the inside of your ears more.

If given the choice though, I'd take wool. More "authentic" feeling, and it won't make your head look like a strawberry.

I have not worn mesh hats of any style to umpire.  I did order them for my teams when I coached.  Richardson brand in royal, red, forest green, gray and white.  Never black or navy though. I didn't notice any of them other than the white being cooler than wool.  I did, one summer, for a practice hat (I pitched a lot of BP and hit a lot of infield and fungoes and even demonstrated running bases or caught pitchers in bullpens-very hands on coaching style) cut the nylon "panty liner" of the hat out to see if it made it any cooler.  It made it look very "slouchy" like those cotton no profile hats kids wear a lot now.  It was cooler but at the expense of looking like a slob.  

My .02..........

I have one of the pro mesh Richardson hats. I hate the way it sits on my head, high like a truckers hat and I don't feel any difference in heat. It is easier to clean up and, as Max said, it doesn't stain. It's also looser than my wool hats, so my hair (not being a problem you're going to have most likely) falls out of it. There is an insert you can buy for hats that works like the cooling towels. You wet it down in between innings and put it back. You can't see it and it's very thin. I've seen it at the welding supply store but haven't picked one up yet. Wish I would have, this last weekend was brutal. Umpires were dropping like flies out there. 

One weekend a few years ago I lost three partners in a day due to heat in the "National" High School Wood Bat Tournament in Louisville, KY.  First guy fell out in 3rd inning of a 9am game.  I was on plate for all three.  Found the first guy laying on the ground under his truck trying to find some shade after he left the field, other two sat/laid down in dugouts with towels on their heads/faces.  That was a tough day.  Thank God I do well in heat. Sweat a lot, drink a lot of water (5 32oz bottles yesterday) and just keep on truckin'.  Felt sorry for the guys that fell out.  Assigner pro-rated their pay to number of innings worked.  Plus the games they didn't work.  Bummer.

I would never wear a mesh hat while umpiring.  They look unprofessional.

Just my $0.02

Typically, me neither, however, on long hot summer days with four or more games in one day, I thought that they might help, but I don't see where that is true based on the responses so far Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

I have two of the Richardson mesh caps, and in our Tennessee heat and humidity i can put some sweat stains on them just walking outside.  I have a Richardson moisture wicking fabric 4 stitch hat, and to be honest with you @Thunderheads, I like it better. I just bought 2 more from Honigs last week to replace the two mesh hats. Heat wise  I can't tell any difference between the two, I like the MW fabric Richardson hats better.

I have two of the Richardson mesh caps, and in our Tennessee heat and humidity i can put some sweat stains on them just walking outside.  I have a Richardson moisture wicking fabric 4 stitch hat, and to be honest with you @Thunderheads, I like it better. I just bought 2 more from Honigs last week to replace the two mesh hats. Heat wise  I can't tell any difference between the two, I like the MW fabric Richardson hats better.

thank you sir, I'll take a peek!

Uhm, @DVA7130, while I appreciate the retro-vintage look, these ol' beans don't "have heat in mind". That's just the sizing hole in the back, not a vent.

Next you'll say a balloon is cooler because you can hold it above your head like a shade.

Even if it's just a psychological advantage, I try to wear the pro mesh when I can.  When you sweat worse than a w#ore in church to begin with, you take every advantage that you can.  I always crease my hats across the top/front part of the cap so the front always stands up solid. Doesn't matter if regular or mesh, hats get rinsed thoroughly after the game.