The Jerry Layne Treatment

T-Rav
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I don't know about you guys, but in an early season snow/cold fest masquerading as a baseball game, I will wear everything I can to make my potential 2+ hours more endurable....while maintain the league outer regulation garment colors... 

(and as far as being eval'd about my uni choices in cold spring Rain or extreme cold weather, it has been my experience that those days are evaluator repellant)

• Like 1

:ranton:

This thread is why a lot of high level umpires don't post on message boards.

Let's see...

We've had suggestions that this was a prolonged argument. The entire video is 1:27 and the discussion didn't last that long. Not sure less than 90 seconds is considered prolonged.

We're wondering about his attire. Ever flown to a game??? You can't check your 5 gal. bucket of crap and every piece of clothing known to man. You pack the minimum you can fit in 1 bag and get it under 50 lbs. and make due.

We're commenting that his zone was so bad he should be demoted to HS ball. I don't know who this guy is, but I know he's working in the best baseball conference in the country. That means he's better than me...and probably you, too. As I told my crew this weekend, you will get fired quicker for what you do at 3 AM than anything you do at 3 PM.

We're wondering where his partners are. The conversation is 1 on 1. I think an SEC umpire can handle that without assistance.

Yes, these video clips are good teaching tools and we can all learn and get better. But until you've worked at that level, until you've worked a game for that guy who is one of the top 3 most difficult coaches to work for in the country, until you've had a coach send video to your supervisor complaining you're calling strikes on pitches off the plate, please think before responding.

:rantoff:

Well said  :clap: 

• Like 1

Wait. @MidAmUmp doesn't like the bucket?

That bucket is an amateur umpires dream. I know I can get a lot of that stuff in my bag, but the bucket in the back of my van is perfect. I get how you can't fly the damn thing around, but if that's your problem with it, then you seriously need to get over yourself.

I'm going to post a pic of my bucket here tomorrow.

Wait. @MidAmUmp doesn't like the bucket?

That bucket is an amateur umpires dream. I know I can get a lot of that stuff in my bag, but the bucket in the back of my van is perfect. I get how you can't fly the damn thing around, but if that's your problem with it, then you seriously need to get over yourself.

I'm going to post a pic of my bucket here tomorrow.

Of my entire post, that's what you took from it?

I need to find a new source of entertainment.

Ok, I'm going to admit right now that I don't know what was actually in your post. I was reading TH's post.

That being said....

I've stopped reading @MidAmUmp posts, for a couple reasons.

1) he's increasingly grumpy, probably because he's exposed to too many self righteous d1 guys who don't have time for lower-level yahoo umpires.

2) while acknowledging he's more knowledgeable than me, he comes across as too driven. Which brings us right back to #1.

Hey, have at being the best you can be! I want to be as good as I can be, too. But at the same time, have A GOD-DAM€ SENSE OF HUMOR!

Christ!

• Like 1

I get where bam is coming from. Within limits, the attitude here is "anything goes," and people feel free to post all kinds of things. Some of that is pertinent to umpiring, some of it to umpire fashion, some of it just random.

I also get where MidAmUmp is coming from. The purpose of film study at higher levels is work: you work on mechanics, you work on positioning, you work on game management. You seldom pay much attention to judgment, because there's not much we can learn from somebody's judgment error. You certainly never bother with fashion, or a stray hair, or really much else.

Criticism of umpires who work the top levels based on fashion or other umpiring irrelevancies can strike some as mere expressions of envy or resentment. Some folks see game film as a learning opportunity, and when they hear such criticisms they feel that the opportunity is being wasted.

I kinda like the different centers of gravity for the site, professionalism and humor.

• Like 4

I think the Therma looks cool!!  

To be honest, .... I DO TOO .... that's why I noticed it from my ORIGINAL post.  As I said, ...that's a nice tool to have when it's 40+ degress, spitting rain and windy ... that coat is a God send.  The observation (as detailed) was due to the fact that you DON'T see it very often, but there's nothing wrong with it all.  Doesn't look much different than a  1/4 zip pull-over jacket.

You know, coming from sunny California where we never had to worry about working cold weather games, and moving to the Pacific Northwest, where we never have to worry about heat related issues, I learned how to properly dress for conditions. The therma base jacket is a godsend here when it gets rainy and cold. As are UA cold gear shirts and a pair of warm gloves.

• Like 1

My post continues to be misunderstood. Let me clarify it...

The point I am attempting to make is there seems to be a lot of unnecessary criticism and comments about this video...and not just this video but others.

I don't see anything wrong with what the umpire did in this video. He's already ejected the Arkansas coach. What more is there to say? Anything he says adds to the argument. He let VanHorn have his say, he didn't respond, it didn't turn into a shouting match, and within 90 seconds it was all over and he went back to work and VanHorn went to his office.

Silence can't be quoted. What can VanHorn complain about? Apparently he didn't like the strike zone. So to take his word and the word of the announcers, he wasn't having a good day behind the plate. I don't know if he was or wasn't. But everyone has a bad day, and having ONE bad day isn't going to get anyone fired. So VanHorn gets on the phone to the SEC supervisor and says his zone sucks and he got ejected. He can't say the guy baited him, he can't say he cussed him, he can't say he insisted on having the last word.

I simply pointed out some items that were being discussed other than the subject of the video. I don't know if the intent was to criticize this umpire's appearance, but in the past there have been pages upon pages of discussion about jackets (tucked or untucked) vs. long sleeved jersey vs. plate coat. My point has always been: who cares, get the call right. So the point I was making - not about that specific comment, but before it got to the point of appropriate plate umpire attire - in all likelihood he flew to this series and packing is a challenge when you fly. I threw in the bucket comment for a laugh. If the bucket works for you, God bless you. I think it's really dumb, but that's me.

My final point is most umpires will never know what it's like to work in that sort of pressure situation. Some of you don't even want to and there's nothing wrong with that. But I would suggest considering what this guy (and others) go through at that level. To criticize them without walking a mile in their shoes is wrong. Every game at the D1 level is video taped. Every pitch is analyzed. We get threatened, I've been told, "You'd better be right because we'll look at the video and if you're wrong I'll send it to so and so." And very seldom are we ever told afterward, "I looked at the video and you got it right."

Hopefully that adds some clarity to what I posted.

Having said all of that, this will be my last post on Umpire-Empire. The name calling, personal attacks, and attitudes of some have gotten out of control. We can agree to disagree and debate respectfully, but recently I've been accused of being arrogant, cocky, big timing people, talking down to people, and several other things. I don't need this. I have a tough enough job without being attacked by those who should be my brothers. I was invited to come here and bring my clinic on board to offer some sort of advice to those who are looking to learn and advance. I will continue to do that, but only through PM's and e-mail exchanges. I'm not that hard to find online. If you would like to contact me, please do so through those means.

Jason,

I implore you to reconsider.  You are letting a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.  You know some of these guys are bitter, never-was, wanna-be's. (me included, except for the bitter part).  You know some of these guys are just trolls.  You know some of these guys couldn't call a T-ball game without controversy.  BUT.........you also know that the majority of the membership are good, smart, hard-working umpires who need the kind of advice, tutoring and reality check arguments you bring to the table.

So, I ask that you reconsider.  Block the posts of the idiots you don't care to read.  Ignore the ignorant, misguided, sniping comments from the idiots who, for the most part, don't know any better and really don't matter.

Stay for the rest of the members who do benefit from the wisdom you offer.  You run a very well respected clinic.  I cannot help but think that several of the members here attended your clinic due to your posts here.  I have referred dozens of newer umpires to your clinic.  It will be harder to do so if you aren't here to answer questions.  Don't let the trolls and idiots run you off.  If you allow that then they win.  

My .02............

• Like 10

You know, coming from sunny California where we never had to worry about working cold weather games, and moving to the Pacific Northwest, where we never have to worry about heat related issues, I learned how to properly dress for conditions. The therma base jacket is a godsend here when it gets rainy and cold. As are UA cold gear shirts and a pair of warm gloves.

I'm down here in Georgia so we don't have a lot of cold weather, but what gloves work well with handling a ball and an indicator?

Having said all of that, this will be my last post on Umpire-Empire. The name calling, personal attacks, and attitudes of some have gotten out of control. We can agree to disagree and debate respectfully, but recently I've been accused of being arrogant, cocky, big timing people, talking down to people, and several other things. I don't need this. I have a tough enough job without being attacked by those who should be my brothers. I was invited to come here and bring my clinic on board to offer some sort of advice to those who are looking to learn and advance. I will continue to do that, but only through PM's and e-mail exchanges. I'm not that hard to find online. If you would like to contact me, please do so through those means.

I do hope you will reconsider.  I'm just a newbie here and I have taken a lot from your posts and experience.  I plan to start calling high school baseball (I've been calling high school football for 6 years) next spring and having umpires such as yourself to go over things with is quite beneficial.  Again, I do hope you will reconsider and continue to post.

• Like 1

Jason,

I implore you to reconsider.  You are letting a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.  You know some of these guys are bitter, never-was, wanna-be's. (me included, except for the bitter part).  You know some of these guys are just trolls.  You know some of these guys couldn't call a T-ball game without controversy.  BUT.........you also know that the majority of the membership are good, smart, hard-working umpires who need the kind of advice, tutoring and reality check arguments you bring to the table.

So, I ask that you reconsider.  Block the posts of the idiots you don't care to read.  Ignore the ignorant, misguided, sniping comments from the idiots who, for the most part, don't know any better and really don't matter.

Stay for the rest of the members who do benefit from the wisdom you offer.  You run a very well respected clinic.  I cannot help but think that several of the members here attended your clinic due to your posts here.  I have referred dozens of newer umpires to your clinic.  It will be harder to do so if you aren't here to answer questions.  Don't let the trolls and idiots run you off.  If you allow that then they win.  

My .02............

I agree with this.

But I think that Mods need to take a more active role. There are 2 of you that are active.

I am the admin for my Facebook Umpire page. Even though I have 4 other admins they are not very active and I have to handle all situations. Impossible task.

On here I see some situations go way to long before it is acted upon.

• Like 1

Jason,

My .02............

I agree with this.

But I think that Mods need to take a more active role. There are 2 of you that are active.

I am the admin for my Facebook Umpire page. Even though I have 4 other admins they are not very active and I have to handle all situations. Impossible task.

you mean the mods that have real jobs and lives?

Jason,

My .02............

I agree with this.

If they can't help they shouldn't be mods.

I'm online 25 hours a day. I offered my help. Denied.

Jason,

My .02............

I agree with this.

because you don't see them post every day, they're not helping?

Jason,

My .02............

I agree with this.

No. Because I see things that go on way to long and nothing done.

• Like 1

Jason,

My .02............

I agree with this.

No. Because I see things that go on way to long and nothing done.

The world according to Rolando ............

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3312 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.