Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4261 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I was given some umpire equipment by a local sports complex (The Rock for you Milwaukee guys) with the intention that I would work some of their youth tournaments and older adult (35+) games. I am also able to use that equipment to contract my own games as well. The plate equipment I was given is the Wilson Davishield line. I enrolled in local umpiring classes with an association and plan on doing sub-var HS games this summer for the summer league schools in addition to youth and adult games at The Rock.

 

After examining the equipment, I began to wonder whether the Davis CP could protect me from even youth baseball, not to mention HS or adult arms. That's what brought me to this site. The Davis CP seems to be viewed unfavorably from a protection standpoint in many of the threads I found. Honestly, I can't see the CP providing much impact protection given its design. I didn't find much information about the LG but they look to be plenty protective though a bit clunky. (I guess I could always wear my catchers LG).

 

I have about 4 weeks before I need equipment for my class. Do I (a.) hang on to the Davishield stuff as backup and for youth ball? (b.) use it for class until I can procure some more protective items? or (c.) sell it while it is still unused and maximize its value? As a new umpire I'm not sure what the secondary market is like for umpire equipment or if I could even recuperate a portion of my costs of new, more protective equipment. As a new umpire, I doubt I will find it necessary to have back up gear or a separate CP just for 10u and below.

 

I've enjoyed learning from this site the last couple weeks and hope someone can chime in with some advice.

Posted

DaviShins are great up to college.  Had them for years and years.  If they are the ones with the side pieces that flex.  Light, protective, etc.  Cool part about them is only two straps on calves so no rubbing behind knees like every other shinguard out there.  Eventually you get used to the rubbing or go with sleeves or tights or long underwear or tall socks to protect from the rubbing.

 

The CP is another matter.  Terrible for any level.  Looks cool but almost zero protection for anything above T-ball.  If you work youth baseball or men's with guys way past their prime then you WILL get hit.  A lot.  Better to get the best gear you can afford.  If money is an issue the Champion, Schutt and Champro hard shells are okay.  I have college partners who wear them.  If money is no object and comfort is, then an Unequal with Kevlar is my personal choice for the BEST protection and flexibility in coverage areas.

 

go to force3progear.com and check it out or umpire.org and look at the store page.    Their shinguards are the absolute best available too.

  • Like 3
Posted

I don't have any stake in Unequal one way or another, but I'll ask again: Why does the CP need plastic caps on the shoulders but not over the chest?

 

If you're a new umpire looking for a good CP, there are several options cheaper than the Unequal that will protect you just fine for a fraction of the cost. Same goes for the shin guards.

  • Like 1
Posted

Hey, @Matthew Turner, you're in my neighborhood.

I'll agree with @Majordave 's sentiment on the CP. When my game partner and I decide via an animated discussion (rock-paper-scissors) who gets plate and who goes bases, and he reaches into his trunk for a Davishield, I actually feel queasy... for him. I actually offer my Schutt AiR Flex I to him to borrow for the game (I usually do 12U - 18U). When I first started, I used my catcher's gear... but graduated out of that as rapidly as possible. If you have an inkling to keep the CP, consider keeping it for 8U (or younger) games, or softball! While you may have aspirations to work High School, College, Old Fart (35+) and beyond baseball, you might find yourself offered a paid slate of games from some coach to do his kid's 8U games for a weekend, or to do your GF's little sister's softball games, etc. Softball isn't something I actively seek to do, but there I was last year, suckered into signed on for a weekend tournament because the TD was a good friend. Had to deal with ponytails and pink all weekend. Got paid.

As far as the LG's, if those are what I think they are, they look like hockey shin guards, right? Those aren't half bad, and will be more than adequate while you get yourself going. If you're a former catcher, you already know what to expect out of a shin-shot. I currently use a pair of All-Star LGU317's, which are very low profile. I have designs on getting a set of Unequal leg guards, but for right now, I'm just fine.

If you'd like to get a more substantial CP for classes (will you be doing batting cage work?), please consider giving me a PM on here, and we can exchange emails. I'd be happy to loan you my Schutt AiR Flex I. I'm very likely going to be getting a Schutt XV this spring, anyway (the XV is the latest version of the AiR Flex line), and I'm not using my AiR Flex at the moment – I'm too busy with career work, snowboard instruction and soccer until the snow's gone.

The end-goal is get a Force3 Unequal CP, but I'm not in a spot to spend $200 just yet. I will say this, though... I was taken alot more seriously by mentors and trainers when I got my AiR Flex and retired the catcher's CP.

Posted

keep the shins for now, dump the CP asap...........I would not do any level with that CP...........for the majority of the levels I do, I only trust my WV Platinum...... my backup until recently was my old Honigs K1....but now replaced with a +POS zero G....

Posted

Wow. Thanks for the prompt responses. I guess my suspicions are confirmed.

 

I think I'm gonna just purchase the Schutt VX for now. The info I've found on the VX seems to be positive. I think it might be able to hit the local medieval festival and withstand the jousting events. I don't want to spend more than $100 for the CP. I'm not planning to umpire this season until summer. I coach HS spring ball and still play once or twice a week so I'm not looking to do 200 games a season. If I get to that point, I'll invest in one of the top-of-the-line CPs. 

Posted

Send an email to Jason at force 3 and he will answer all of your questions. jason@force3progear.com

 

I really don't get the comment about the shoulder caps. Same thing with hard plastic on shin guards. Wow factor sells equipment. It works. 

Posted

The Davis Shield is popular with the FP softball guys right now, so you should be able to finance at least part of your new CP.

Posted

Send an email to Jason at force 3 and he will answer all of your questions. jason@force3progear.com

I really don't get the comment about the shoulder caps. Same thing with hard plastic on shin guards. Wow factor sells equipment. It works.

The comment on the shoulder caps makes a lot of sense. There is hard plastic over the collar bone but not covering your heart and your thoracic region.

Zm1983 and many others on the site have wondered the same thing. When you think about it it really doesn't make any sense.

And, I know there are plenty of people on this site and other sites who have used this chest protector and have had zero issues with it whatsoever and or, felt zero pain when getting hit.

However, the concept still makes me scratch my head.

Posted

Send an email to Jason at force 3 and he will answer all of your questions. jason@force3progear.com

I really don't get the comment about the shoulder caps. Same thing with hard plastic on shin guards. Wow factor sells equipment. It works.

The comment on the shoulder caps makes a lot of sense. There is hard plastic over the collar bone but not covering your heart and your thoracic region.

Zm1983 and many others on the site have wondered the same thing. When you think about it it really doesn't make any sense.

And, I know there are plenty of people on this site and other sites who have used this chest protector and have had zero issues with it whatsoever and or, felt zero pain when getting hit.

However, the concept still makes me scratch my head.

There is no plastic but there is a hard piece of Kevlar covering your chest.

  • Like 2
Posted

I would suspect that the hard pieces are there more to deflect the ball while where there are no hard pieces the chest protector is designed to absorb the impact and spread the force across a larger area. There simply isn't much room at the shoulder/collarbone for that to work.

 

My two cents.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Send an email to Jason at force 3 and he will answer all of your questions. jason@force3progear.com

I really don't get the comment about the shoulder caps. Same thing with hard plastic on shin guards. Wow factor sells equipment. It works.

The comment on the shoulder caps makes a lot of sense. There is hard plastic over the collar bone but not covering your heart and your thoracic region.

Zm1983 and many others on the site have wondered the same thing. When you think about it it really doesn't make any sense.

And, I know there are plenty of people on this site and other sites who have used this chest protector and have had zero issues with it whatsoever and or, felt zero pain when getting hit.

However, the concept still makes me scratch my head.

 

I've used the Force 3 chest protector for a while now and where is the hard plastic covering the collarbone? I think it's more in the shoulder area. You do actually feel it when you get hit, but it's great protection and generally that ball has to hit you pretty fast and squared up to feel it.

Posted

I recently was able to see the force 3 in person again and it seems to have changed from the original design. When I had eperience with it previously the bulk of it was just kevlar and now it seems to have some sort of harder plastic embeded in it covering the upper portion that protects the sternum and rib cage. Anyone know if this is a change to the original design or if I just missed that part when I saw it the first time?

Posted

Send an email to Jason at force 3 and he will answer all of your questions. jason@force3progear.com

I really don't get the comment about the shoulder caps. Same thing with hard plastic on shin guards. Wow factor sells equipment. It works.

The comment on the shoulder caps makes a lot of sense. There is hard plastic over the collar bone but not covering your heart and your thoracic region.

Zm1983 and many others on the site have wondered the same thing. When you think about it it really doesn't make any sense.

And, I know there are plenty of people on this site and other sites who have used this chest protector and have had zero issues with it whatsoever and or, felt zero pain when getting hit.

However, the concept still makes me scratch my head. I believe I read somewhere that the shoulder has plastic because it would be very difficult to shape a "non-solid" or foam/Kevlar material in a way that would conform to the shoulder. You really can't cover there without plastic.

Posted

Thanks again guys.

 

I took my pants to get hemmed yesterday (by my mother–never too old for free tailoring). I took my Davishield LGs and plate shoes for fit and measurement purposes. They are the hockey style ones without a knee strap. I understand the appeal of that particular design but they were too awkward–maybe because I was a catcher in HS and still catch a bit in mens' league and I'm used to a traditional 5-strap system. The other thing I didn't like was how pronounced the foot protective plate was. With plate shoes on (the NB plate shoes might be the most comfortable shoes I've ever put on), the Davis LG rides up my leg making them even more awkward.

 

Free gear is nice but so far the only things I'm gonna end up keeping are the shirts and pants.

Posted

Aren't those New Balance plate shoes just The Business, @ ?

 

Yeah, any use of leg guards with foot caps while wearing actual plate shoes is just overkill and lame. Even some guys wearing catcher's leg guards without plate shoes look goofy and lame. I chided one of my fellow umpires at CDP about resembling the Predator because of how his feet looked clawing out from his pants legs (that and he had a HSM with the straps hanging out the back like dreadlocks). And if you're a (former) catcher who uses red, royal blue, green, etc. (any color other than black or navy) leg guards, it just doesn't look right at all.

 

I noticed that the Davis LG's are quite stiff when out of the packaging. Perhaps beating them into shape, softening them up would help.

 

Remember, if working solo, you may use whatevvvvvvvvvvver shirt color you want, as long as the shirt itself looks presentable. If working with partner(s), ya gotta match. Don't let any ol' buzzard around here tell you that you HAVE to wear navy (which a few are apt to do).

Posted

Just take off the toe plate.  Like @MadMax said, no need for it with plate shoes.  No sense in spending money on another pair of shins if these were free and can be modified to work.

Posted

Toe plate in DaviShins and ankle plates velcro in and are that easy to remove.  You don't need them if you wear high top plate shoes.  They were trying to accommodate all umpires and all style of plate shoes and even those guys who do not wear protective shoes.  With the foot guard you could even get away with wearing steel toe/hard toe work shoes/boots if you wanted and have some decent protection.  This is an expensive avocation/hobby isn't it?

Posted

Yeah. Expensive hobby for sure. I've been around baseball my whole life and am just now getting into umpiring. I fully expected my first year of game checks to barely offset my equipment, apparel, fuel costs and association/assignor dues. Eventually, this will be a a nice way to supplement my teacher salary and the lack of a paycheck during the summer.

So far:

$105 - association dues, 1st year training

$15 - assignor dues

$40 - interscholastic association dues

$120 - plate shoes

$60 - base shoes

$80 - mask

$30 - hats

$80 - CP

$40 - LGs

$40 - accessories & misc

Total= $510

Plus I was given Davishield CP & LG (which I will flip), NB base shoes which are too small, 2 shirts (lt. blue & black), pants (base and plate) and indicator.

I will use one of my old baseball catchers bags for my gear (after a thorough cleaning). I already have "personal" protection as a player and a variety of compression and undergarment options. This could easily be a $1,000+ outlay if I was new to the sport.

Posted

Remember, if working solo, you may use whatevvvvvvvvvvver shirt color you want, as long as the shirt itself looks presentable. If working with partner(s), ya gotta match. Don't let any ol' buzzard around here tell you that you HAVE to wear navy (which a few are apt to do).

I'll probably end up doing a lot of WIAA summer games initially since I have some connections from coaching spring ball. I believe WIAA is navy blue or light blue so I'll probably stick with those colors until the initial sticker shock of this experience wears off.

Posted

When I wore a plate coat and my best protective gear and uniforms to work a college game I had roughly $1200 worth of gear/uniform on. Effin crazy. However, I was a teacher and I worked 250 plus games a year earning well over 10 times that amount a year. I'm a little crazy but I spent about the same amount of time and way more money per year coaching for a bunch of years. I might break even if I can ump til age 70 or so. (Just kidding. I've earned back what I spent already.) not kidding about umpiring til I'm 70 plus though. Good Lord willing.

  • Like 1
Posted

When I wore a plate coat and my best protective gear and uniforms to work a college game I had roughly $1200 worth of gear/uniform on. Effin crazy. However, I was a teacher and I worked 250 plus games a year earning well over 10 times that amount a year. I'm a little crazy but I spent about the same amount of time and way more money per year coaching for a bunch of years. I might break even if I can ump til age 70 or so. (Just kidding. I've earned back what I spent already.) not kidding about umpiring til I'm 70 plus though. Good Lord willing.

@Majordave, sorry to hear you're only planning on umpiring another 4 or 5 years.

  • Like 2
Posted

When I wore a plate coat and my best protective gear and uniforms to work a college game I had roughly $1200 worth of gear/uniform on. Effin crazy. However, I was a teacher and I worked 250 plus games a year earning well over 10 times that amount a year. I'm a little crazy but I spent about the same amount of time and way more money per year coaching for a bunch of years. I might break even if I can ump til age 70 or so. (Just kidding. I've earned back what I spent already.) not kidding about umpiring til I'm 70 plus though. Good Lord willing.

@Majordave, sorry to hear you're only planning on umpiring another 4 or 5 years.

You beat me to it!!!

×
×
  • Create New...