Leaving for TUS

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3362 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Finished strong with our last test, yes I got a smiley face and Bill didn’t. I think I’m up 3 dollars now. Yes, I’m a high roller! Since this was our last regular test, I calculated my average and it came in at 92.8%. Not bad for minimal studying, although some of the tests only had […]

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

• Like 2

Hello Jonny

I am currently at the Wendelstedt school and joined this forum earlier today.

I wish that I was patient enough (and a good enough typist) to write about my experience at the W school as you have.

Our experiences are quite similar and yet very different. I guess both schools have to get the umpires to the same destination, they just take different routes.

My brief introduction is on (appropriately) the Introduction page.

I look forward to discussing our experiences.

Good luck with your last few days.

Dana

OK you are almost done. You seem to be doing well..What would you do if they offered you a spot to advance

I know its a longshot BUT do you remember the movie, The Rookie.
There was the scene where he went to the try out, and did really well, and he had the conversation with the scout....
Jimmy, Ive been a scout for a long time and the number one rule is, arms (insert umpires) slow down when they get old.
Now if I call the office and tell em Ive got a guy here almost twice these kids age, Im gonna get laughed at, BUT if I don't call in  98

mile an hour fastball (insert knowledge skill and hustle) Im gonna get fired! Im just saying you might get a call on this.

And of course he did

I know it was just a movie BUT talent knows no age..Good Luck

@NovaScotiaBlue     Thanks for the kind words. I know they would not offer me a job, but lets say for arguments sake if they did, I would not accept an invitation to the evaluation course. Number one, I just could not be away from my family, and number two, the pay is just too low. It is definitely not a lifestyle for me. Pro school has been great, however, and I appreciate all that the school has given me.

We had our final exam this morning and there were no real surprises. It was a 50 question cumulative test and as expected, the questions were variations of the situations and rules that appeared on previous exams. I felt good about all the questions, but we will have to wait until Monday to get the […]

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

It’s our last off day here and I thought I’d take some time to discuss some of the principles of game management and ejections. As we all know, ejections are part of the game, and I’m sure for most fans that don’t understand umpiring, they are a part of the entertainment value of a game. Much […]

View the full article

• Like 2

We opened up in the classroom this morning and went over the final exam. I pulled out a 95%, but I am kicking myself because I missed a couple of easy ones that I shouldn’t have. Bill missed only two questions to my three, so I had to pay him a dollar. I’m still up […]

View the full article

• Like 4

Well, it’s finally over. We had our last field reps this morning and it’s in the hands of the evaluators. No more early morning classroom sessions, no more field instruction, no more cage work, no more discussion sessions in the dining hall. We just have our banquet tonight and then our individual interviews Wednesday morning. […]

View the full article

John this has been absolutely outstanding reading.  We should also be such good writers, positive people and as lucky and blessed as you are to have been able to attend this training course.  I have no doubt you are a fine umpire and an even better person.  I look forward to your last installment and future posts on this website by you.  You sir, are a RockStar! 

Thanks for sharing all of your experiences and thoughts with us this past four weeks.  It was a real pleasure.

Thanks Dave, that is very high praise, especially from someone on this site that I respect as much as you. I really like the things you post here.

It's been great writing a blog and an even better experience here at school. Some of the instructors have been reading it everyday and they really like it. It's been such a positive thing and I've got such a great response. Never did I expect for so many people to enjoy it. I started it just to keep a journal of my time here and let some of my fellow umpires follow along. I so glad everyone has enjoyed it.

I just got back from our banquet so I'm officially graduated. I'll brag a little bit too, if I may. (I have to tell someone other than my wife!) They give out 6 individual awards, two for academics, one for most hustle, one for a lifetime achievement, one for courage, and one for positive attitude. I won the positive attitude award tonight. It was a great and unexpected honor. I'll elaborate more on it when I wrap up the blog later this week. What a night! 

• Like 2

Though i didn't get to read every blog , this was very interesting to follow . much appreciation Johnny for your willingness to share with the world your thoughts and experience's . 

Marc

Jonny, I've really enjoyed seeing umpire school from someone else's perspective.  I know how I felt when I made it in '95, and I had the chance to be in Florida as my Northwoods League umpires found out their fate.  I think I was more nervous than they were.  We had 11 of our 14 make it through to PBUC, one being Rob McHugh down at TUS, the others at Wendelstedt.  

Congratulations and I'm glad you enjoyed your time!  

Bob Bainter

Northwoods League Supervisor

Oceanside Umpire Training Seminar

Big thanks for doing this. My son went through the school last year and your blog filled in a lot of the holes he left out about the experience. I always got a lot of "It was good", Had a good day" not much detail.

Ok, so I lied. I will have a couple of more posts before I wrap up the blog, only because I have too much material to put into one post. I’m actually home now, (more on that later) so I’m writing this from sunny San Diego. I just wanted to share some thoughts and experiences […]

View the full article

Jonny, I've really enjoyed seeing umpire school from someone else's perspective.  I know how I felt when I made it in '95, and I had the chance to be in Florida as my Northwoods League umpires found out their fate.  I think I was more nervous than they were.  We had 11 of our 14 make it through to PBUC, one being Rob McHugh down at TUS, the others at Wendelstedt.  

Congratulations and I'm glad you enjoyed your time!  

Bob Bainter

Northwoods League Supervisor

Oceanside Umpire Training Seminar

Thanks Bob. Rob's a good guy and well deserving of moving on. I'm happy for him and all of my classmates that got the call.

Wednesday was our final day at TUS, and the students would finally find out their fate. We had breakfast as usual in the cafeteria from 7-8am. The mood was jovial and somewhat relieved as we were finally done and most were going home today. Our flight was leaving at 5:30pm, and I was anxious to […]

View the full article