Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4277 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

I'm curious, too.  I'm headed for Chicago this weekend and was looking for some thoughts...

Posted

Chicago was very good.  Informative.  Couple of videos I could have done without or maybe a whole lot less analysis/critique, but, overall a good conference.

Posted

+1 to Jeff.

 

D2 and D3 Session during lunch break wasn't great. Was there anyone from Ump-Attire there or did someone just volunteer to put stuff out on a table?

 

Worst part about it was where I sat often volume on video was so loud my ears hurt, Next year I will sit in the back so I can hear the video and the guys chit-chatting.


Next year we ought to try and set upa get-together for these meetings.

  • Like 1
Posted

From what I have heard --  many of the videos were already on the website;  you can't have a "small group discussion" with 175 umpires in each group; and you don't need both Hiler (on video) and Parento (live) presenting rules chages -- they both individually are good, but it was repetative.

Posted

It would be cool to set up a live chat...similar to how they show twitter feeds on TV shows...with comments from each group.

 

The break outs are cool, but there has to be a better way.

 

I was glad that they took time to discuss the collision play between home and third in the CWS.

Posted

+1 to Jeff.

 

D2 and D3 Session during lunch break wasn't great. Was there anyone from Ump-Attire there or did someone just volunteer to put stuff out on a table?

 

Worst part about it was where I sat often volume on video was so loud my ears hurt, Next year I will sit in the back so I can hear the video and the guys chit-chatting.

Next year we ought to try and set upa get-together for these meetings.

 

They just basically set stuff on a table. Purchase Officials and Honigs had big tables that were manned and were selling a lot of stuff. 

 

Overall I thought the meeting in Chicago was better than last year's in Dallas. I liked the pace better and the videos were good. I think they over analyzed/beat things to death a few times. The breakout sessions are a good idea, but 200 people in each group is just way too many. There are 30 talking and the rest stand around and chit chat.

 

Edit: I loved the video from Omaha with the dropped ball at second on the steal attempt and the subsequent crew conference and reversal. It was absolutely textbook if you ask me. I wonder if someone could get it on here. 

Posted

I feel like Ump-Attire now just wants the money without putting in the work anymore. Done with them. WILL NOT USE any longer.

 

Strongly disagree.  Can you expand on your opinion?

Posted

Every year the same thing--wasted time and money on a trip for things that could be viewed online at home in a couple of hours. Why does ANYONE have to present rule changes? We can read, and they're all highlighted in the book.

 

There IS a better way, but there's some sort of bias against the use of off-site technology.

 

I always learn a little something at these, but have never been able to figure out the necessity of a trip to Chicago (or wherever) to view video and handouts.

  • Like 1
Posted

Every year the same thing--wasted time and money on a trip for things that could be viewed online at home in a couple of hours. Why does ANYONE have to present rule changes? We can read, and they're all highlighted in the book.

 

There IS a better way, but there's some sort of bias against the use of off-site technology.

 

I always learn a little something at these, but have never been able to figure out the necessity of a trip to Chicago (or wherever) to view video and handouts.

 

Guys have said that they like the networking piece.  I'm certain you're not the first one to say all of the above.

Posted

Every year the same thing--wasted time and money on a trip for things that could be viewed online at home in a couple of hours. Why does ANYONE have to present rule changes? We can read, and they're all highlighted in the book.

 

There IS a better way, but there's some sort of bias against the use of off-site technology.

 

I always learn a little something at these, but have never been able to figure out the necessity of a trip to Chicago (or wherever) to view video and handouts.

Like any clinic you get out of it what you want. Networking opportunities are good. 

 

This year was an improvement upon the last few years. George is working to get it back to where Dave Yeast used to have them. They'll get better as he utilizes more of the "heavy hitters" and new people are in leadership positions.

 

The problem with doing it on-line is the majority will not truly watch a video. They'll let it run and do what needs to be done to prove that it's being watched - most likely the video would stop every so often and you'd have to answer some questions about what was presented...and those answers will be passed around - then things won't be enforced coast-to-coast because guys didn't pay attention to the video.

 

By going to the meeting you at least see/hear what's being presented...paying attention to it is another story...but you are there and should leave on the same page with 600 other umpires.

 

I don't see them ever doing away with the meetings. I could see them merging into either 1 massive meeting that is centrally located or 2 meetings, 1 east and 1 west. I say that especially since conferences are becoming more spread out - ACC in Indiana, Big East in Nebraska, Big 10 in New Jersey, Big 12 in West Virginia, etc. They understand the burden of guys attending 2 meetings to fulfill conference requirements.

  • Like 1
Posted

I generally agree about the meetings being a good chance for networking.

Back in the day, when Bill Thurston was Sec.-Ed.they did the clinic by satellite, everyone at the same day, same time.

Convenient locations were set up to view the presentations, usually college campuses.

There's something to be said for that model if travel becomes an issue.

Posted

I feel like Ump-Attire now just wants the money without putting in the work anymore. Done with them. WILL NOT USE any longer.

What???

Posted

For what it's worth, I don't remember Ump-Attire ever bringing any stock for sale at NCAA clinics. A table, some discount codes on handout card. Some candy and pencils. Some pretty girls and ugly dudes manning their table. Maybe a sample product or two of new items.

AlphaMale40 has some other supplier in mind, it was his first time or he's just a disgruntled guy for some reason.

My .02.....

  • Like 1
Posted

Well the Baltimore clinic is Saturday and I will be there and for Saturday they are anticipating 3" of snow. Last year in Philly we got out a little early b/c of the snow. Grrr.

×
×
  • Create New...