Oakley sunglasses not worth the dough

UmpRandy
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2856 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Cruising other threads, I see Oakley is the dominant shade for most y'all.

I've been an Oakley junky for years--glasses, clothes, shoes.  Every few years I tell myself I'm never going to spend that much money again on a new pair of glasses but I did it again just last month--I was weak and compulsive.

Already I've scratched one side of the new shades and it impedes vision every time I put 'em on.  Don't know what I did--I take care of them very carefully.

It doesn't seem right that such an expensive pair of glasses would scratch so easily. I understand it's plastic, but for that money, shouldn't it be some sort of special scratch-proof plastic?  

Thinking about ebay-ing a knock-off Oakley replacement lens for 1/4 the cost.  This time I'm tired of paying too much money for brand recognition.  

Anybody else wanna complain or have any thoughts?  You can't buff scratches out of plastic, right?  

Take them to an eye glass place for repair. Lots of glasses have plastic lenses and they are able to take out scratches. I have seen it done - they use a small fogger kind of thing with some chemical in it (I think).

It is worth a try.

Cruising other threads, I see Oakley is the dominant shade for most y'all.

I've been an Oakley junky for years--glasses, clothes, shoes.  Every few years I tell myself I'm never going to spend that much money again on a new pair of glasses but I did it again just last month--I was weak and compulsive.

Already I've scratched one side of the new shades and it impedes vision every time I put 'em on.  Don't know what I did--I take care of them very carefully.

It doesn't seem right that such an expensive pair of glasses would scratch so easily. I understand it's plastic, but for that money, shouldn't it be some sort of special scratch-proof plastic?  

Thinking about ebay-ing a knock-off Oakley replacement lens for 1/4 the cost.  This time I'm tired of paying too much money for brand recognition.  

Anybody else wanna complain or have any thoughts?  You can't buff scratches out of plastic, right?  

They do have scratch resistant coating on them. However, lenses scratch. Nothing is scratch proof. They should never be cleaned dry. You should always wet them before cleaning them. All it takes is a piece of sand/dirt on a lens then rubbing or wiping the lens dry is going to scratch it. You can get replacement lenses from Oakley. 

Take them to an eye glass place for repair. Lots of glasses have plastic lenses and they are able to take out scratches. I have seen it done - they use a small fogger kind of thing with some chemical in it (I think).

It is worth a try.

I've been in the optical business for 25 years and I've yet to see anything that takes scratches out of a lens. There's garbage out there that works like a paste and fills in the scratch, at the cost of damaging/weakening the coating on the lens surface. 

Take care of them. Keep them in a case, clean them wet with approved lens cleaner, or with soap and water when you get a chance. Don't use windex or other glass/window cleaners. 

• Like 1

Glad i dont need sunglasses i mean holy crap thats alot of money

Everybody who spends a good amount of time outside needs sunglasses. No, you don't need an expensive pair, but get a pair that blocks UV A and UV B rays if you're out there every weekend on the field 6-8 hours. If you don't you'll be having cataract surgery before you're 55. 

Everybody who spends a good amount of time outside needs sunglasses. No, you don't need an expensive pair, but get a pair that blocks UV A and UV B rays if you're out there every weekend on the field 6-8 hours. If you don't you'll be having cataract surgery before you're 55. I'll clarify i wear perscription glasses that are polarized, so i dont need sunglasses for that reason
  • Like 1

Everybody who spends a good amount of time outside needs sunglasses. No, you don't need an expensive pair, but get a pair that blocks UV A and UV B rays if you're out there every weekend on the field 6-8 hours. If you don't you'll be having cataract surgery before you're 55. I'll clarify i wear perscription glasses that are polarized, so i dont need sunglasses for that reason

I see. I love my Oakley Rx suns. 

Oakleys usually come with a warranty. You know what they say buy cheap pay twice

The warranty won't cover scratches from normal use.

Which is my beef with expensive sunglasses. . . 

$180 Oakleys scratch just as easy as $30 generics.  

I absolutely love, love these sunglasses. They're from Jackson Safety, a well-known maker of safety glasses. In fact, these are in the Industrial/Safety glasses part of Amazon, not sporting goods. They're very lightweight, crystal clear, a little wide so may be a bit big for the more dainty faces but fine for me. I finally did scratch my pair this year but not in any place noticeable, way up in one of the corners. But if I do scratch it, so what. IT'S SIX FREAKIN' BUCKS!!!!! Just use your back up pair. Hell, buy 20 of them, that would still be cheaper than a pair of Oakleys. They do sell other colors and some polarized glasses for a little more, around $22 or so. I bought 5 of them, thinking they'd scratch easily and be cheap/disposable. After a full season, and using them for driving and general use, I'm still on pair #1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007ZCQNC/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007ZCQNC&linkCode=as2&tag=hubpages05ec-20&linkId=Q7X5B7HT3L7Y652T

Edited to add: So....after going through the "related items" at the bottom, a seller is offering a 3 pack of these for $13.40.  Less than $5 bucks each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3QHCMW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00I3QHCMW&linkCode=as2&tag=hubpages05ec-20&linkId=3LTDNJ7TAFUOPQNA

• Like 2

I've worn Oakley's for years with varying results. I'll admit I'm a bit of a sunglass snob. Oakely has OK optics, but are terribly over priced in my opinion. That being said I've got 7 pairs. Hands down the VERY best optics I've ever had in sunglasses are the Costa Del Mar's. I use the 580G lens, which is glass. I wear this pair on the diamond.

sku_287_angle4_xl.png

A word of caution however, they are 200+, but worth every penny in my opinion. I got mine at Bass Pro Shops, they are available online or most outdoor sports stores. The glass should be much more scratch resistant than any other lens out there. It should be noted, I've never scratch a lens in my life, so I'm probably not the guy to ask about that. If they're not on my face, they're in the case. I use the cheap Zeiss wipes from Wal-Mart for cleaning. Occasionally taking them in the house and give them a good soaking in hot water.

I absolutely love, love these sunglasses. They're from Jackson Safety, a well-known maker of safety glasses. In fact, these are in the Industrial/Safety glasses part of Amazon, not sporting goods. They're very lightweight, crystal clear, a little wide so may be a bit big for the more dainty faces but fine for me. I finally did scratch my pair this year but not in any place noticeable, way up in one of the corners. But if I do scratch it, so what. IT'S SIX FREAKIN' BUCKS!!!!! Just use your back up pair. Hell, buy 20 of them, that would still be cheaper than a pair of Oakleys. They do sell other colors and some polarized glasses for a little more, around $22 or so. I bought 5 of them, thinking they'd scratch easily and be cheap/disposable. After a full season, and using them for driving and general use, I'm still on pair #1.

Edited to add: So....after going through the "related items" at the bottom, a seller is offering a 3 pack of these for $13.40.  Less than $5 bucks each.

Here is a Link to all the Jackson Safety Glasses on Amazon