Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4585 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Fellas, 

 

Long story short - Which jacket do you guys prefer if you HAVE to wear one on the dish?  I really struggle with any thing Smitty due to the sleeves being too short for me.  I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Honig's jacket - anyone have that?  Thoughts? How did you feel about the sizing?  

 

Long story long - I just found out we HAVE to wear pullovers on the plate if our partner wears a jacket in the field (which is 95% of HS games in Tn).  I used to wear and prefer the long sleeve shirt with layers underneath.  However considering our shirts in Tn are navy and jackets are black (I'll never figure that out), we no longer have the option of wearing a long sleeve shirt on the dish anymore.  We have to wear black with white shoulder pipes.  Maybe I just need to move to a state where they care about the appearance of their umpires. 

  • Like 1
Posted

Get a plate coat, problem solved.

I agree, plate coat.  They look great too.  If you wear a platinum get a long or extra long and at least one size up because it's a big rig in the shoulders and have your tailor take it in while you wear it with your cp on.  Other cps you should size it like your normal sportcoat because they're made to accomodate cps.  I would still get a pullover too though (if price isn't an issue) because you don't want to wear a plate coat in the rain because they're made of a good percentage of wool and when they get wet it smells like a wet dog plus there's always a shrinkage possibility.  And you don't want shrinkage...

Posted

Hahah if only...

 

Again, it HAS to be black with the white shoulder stripes.  No other options are on the table.  I doubt people in the base office even know about plate coats. 

Posted

I'm in Tennessee too and a black plate coat is acceptable behind the plate with your partner in a black pullover.  It's the blue hat that's the issue.

Posted

Most state associations want us to purchase and wear specific uniforms, AND I agree with this policy BUT they still pay us crap calling fees. Too many smittys willing to do this for pennies.

 

I have a brother in law that calls lacrosse in Texas and makes more per game that any umpire does at any level. His uniform requirement $$$$ would not buy a CP and plate shoes.

 

We tell our nubies it will cost $500-$600 to PROPERLY call your first 2 games.

 

It would be nice to see a chart of officials pay vs total costs to step on the field.

  • Like 1
Posted

I just found out we HAVE to wear pullovers on the plate if our partner wears a jacket in the field... 

We have to wear black with white shoulder pipes.   

I don't mind the look of a black jacket, but it sounds like you guys are being over-regulated.  Maybe you should try to gather a bunch a guys together who feel like you do and meet with the leaders of the organization. Perhaps they can compromise and bring some common sense to your jacket requirements.

Posted

We can still wear short sleeve shirts, but only if your partner in the field does the same.  This is where wearing navy shirts and black jackets gets complicated.  If we wore black shirts with black jackets then I doubt this would be an issue at all.  

 

Anyway, guys that wear a plate jackets, what brand do you prefer besides Smitty? 

Posted

We can still wear short sleeve shirts, but only if your partner in the field does the same.  This is where wearing navy shirts and black jackets gets complicated.  If we wore black shirts with black jackets then I doubt this would be an issue at all.  

 

Anyway, guys that wear a plate jackets, what brand do you prefer besides Smitty? 

If you're talking about a black lightweight pull-over, the Smitty is my choice. I tried one from +POS and it just didn't look right.

Posted

Does your hat color have to match the shirt/jacket. Things seem a bit off up your way.

If you can find one, the old Majestic black pull over is my favorite. I don't like the smitty either.

Posted

I use and old Honigs k17 if I feel I need to wear a jacket on the dish. Honigs also makes one that is open on the bottom with a draw string so that it is not so hard to pull over your CP.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

I wear a Honigs Black plate coat on the plate if the weather is 60 and below and if the game / field is appropriate for a plate coat. Every game is NOT a plate coat type game. In other instances of 60 and above until I get to short sleeve weather, I wear a long sleeve black shirt. I don't wear pull over jackets on the plate anymore. Those are now my base coats. Whoever wears a blue hat with a black jacket is just plain goofy.

 

BTW I am in the Chicagoland area and it gets cold here but the Honigs is quiet toasty and top quality as well. 

Posted

I had planned on celebrating my return to college ball with the purchase of a plate coat. But SWAMBO and I decided to hold off until I get a state final assignment.

Posted

I had planned on celebrating my return to college ball with the purchase of a plate coat. But SWAMBO and I decided to hold off until I get a state final assignment.

fixed :wave:

  • Like 2
Posted

If I decided to wear a plate coat for a state final assignment in VA, I'm sure I'd be the first to do so.  Since it is usually around 100 degrees in June, one would probably die.  Maybe SWMBO knows that and that is why you got the permission;  she knows you'll never wear one for that!

×
×
  • Create New...