Low-Cut or Mid-cut Plate Shoes

the_umpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3748 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am in the market for some new plate shoes, and am quite interested in the Reebok Zig (All Black) or the Magistrates. However the all black zigs only come in the low cut. I currently use the NB 460's. Would you guys recommend getting the low cut zigs or the mid cut Magistrates. My shin guards do have the extended ankle (WV Pros). 

Also, would you recommend the Zigs or the Magistrates. I hear the Zigs tend to wear out pretty easy.

Thanks

I have 3 pairs of the Reebok zig all black low cut plate shoes and they are super light weight and provide great protection along with my WV Platinum Shins. However the thin strip leather strip holding the metatarsal plate down is terrible and my first pair only lasted 6 months before they both ripped and I had to take them to a cobbler to have them fixed. Also the zigs run quite small, I originally ordered my regular shoe size (12) and they were way too tight so I had to go to the 13's which fit great.

• Like 1

No, my feet are a D. Ok, good to know. If my new balances are a 10.5 (D) and they are tight, should I go an 11.5 or 12? Is there anything I could do to prevent the ripping?

Based upon my personal experience if 10.5's are tight I would go with a whole size up and get the 12s. Like I said before I am typically a comfortable 12 and with these zigs 13 fits great. I'm not sure if theres anything you can do to prevent the ripping but from what I've heard its common with these shoes, so just be aware that they may rip.

• Like 1

@T-Rav  thanks for all the advice.  :wave: I think I am going to go with the all black zigs in a size 12.  @umpstu, ya the magistrates are good for wide feet, but I'm lucky and I'm a regular width. From what I hear, the zigs seem to be lighter than the 460's or the magistrates.

@T-Rav  thanks for all the advice.  :wave: I think I am going to go with the all black zigs in a size 12.  @umpstu, ya the magistrates are good for wide feet, but I'm lucky and I'm a regular width. From what I hear, the zigs seem to be lighter than the 460's or the magistrates.

Hey, I need shoe widths that match my stomach.

Sounds like the Magistrates are higher quality, also light, and $30-40 cheaper.  Zigs have a few ounces lighter going for them and...some cool factor?

I agree but once you wear the zigs you won't want to go back to the magistrates because they feel so much heavier. 

I agree with @T-Rav. I wear Magistrates on the bases and Zigs on the dish. I love my Zigs and wouldnt go with anything else.

Also, I feel I need to point out that the difference between mid and low on the Reeboks is negligible and for the most part unnoticeable. The low tops provide just as much ankle stability as the mids do.

I had +POS make a pair of plate shoes for me LONG ago.I really liked them.

Anyone have any experence with the 2 versions of plate shoes being offered from them now?

Not asking how your dealings with this" off the rails" company BUT if you got either version AND how are they?

How do magistrate plate shoes fit compared to Mizuno base shoes? I'm thinking I'll get a $65 pair of the old magistrates off of Ebay but I'm wary of ordering shoes online.

I don't know about Mizuno, but the magistrate plate shoes are true to size. Owned numerous pairs and they have always been good for me.

I had +POS make a pair of plate shoes for me LONG ago.I really liked them.

Anyone have any experence with the 2 versions of plate shoes being offered from them now?

Not asking how your dealings with this" off the rails" company BUT if you got either version AND how are they?

All I ever wore was the +POS plate shoes....and I had 2 pair for almost 12 years.....I got a pair of size 9's someone could get a good amount of years out of....I switched to the magistrates and would be hard pressed to go back......The +POS shoes were and are so much heavier......

The reviews Ive heard from a partner who has the new style....is much as it was......good solid support, good workmanship.....but heavy...

• 2 weeks later...

I have wide feet and I'm buying my first pair of plate shoes. I have to do it online, because I can't find anywhere in the Milwaukee area that stocks them..I like the looks of the reeboks, but it sounds like the NB 460's will be more suited for me. Do I order larger on my size on any of them? I appreciate the help.

I have wide feet and I'm buying my first pair of plate shoes. I have to do it online, because I can't find anywhere in the Milwaukee area that stocks them..I like the looks of the reeboks, but it sounds like the NB 460's will be more suited for me. Do I order larger on my size on any of them? I appreciate the help.

I find my NB shoes to be spot on in size.