Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4467 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Let me know when the big time SEC programs regularly start making trips to the North to play football games.  

They say laughter is the best medicine.

Suggesting that SEC teams are scared to play Big 10 teams will keep me in good health for the day.

You'd make a better doctor than a sports prognosticator?

Posted

Did I say just B1G teams? How about any teams? Simple fact is the good SEC teams are more than willing to play big time games at "neutral" sites in their conference's footprint where the fan split is 75+% in their favor, but they rarely leave their comfort zone.

I wonder why that is?

Posted

@scrounge - you put into words exactly how I feel about all the SEC hype.  Don't get me wrong, the SEC is a strong football conference, probably the strongest, but not by as much as ESPN would like everyone to believe.  For me, Sportscenter has become almost unwatchable as we get a steady stream of Yankees, Redsox, Patriots, Cowboys, Peyton Manning, Rob Gronkowski, SEC Football, and ACC basketball (especially Duke) shoved down our throats.

 

Someone on the radio the other day was talking about the SEC's record against other major conferences, and how aTm and MU were able to come in from the Big12 and compete right away.

 

I think FSU is probably a better football team than Auburn, but I think Auburn really believes that this NC is their destiny because of the crazy endings to their games against Georgia and Alabama.  Anything can happen when a team really believes in itself.

Posted

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston was selected as the Walter Camp player of the year on Thursday, saying he was "overwhelmed" by the honor before later praising his team for the support it gave him.

The redshirt freshman is the second player from Florida State to win the Walter Camp award, joining quarterback Charlie Ward in 1993. Former Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o won the Walter Camp last year.

The other finalists were Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch, Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron and Boston College running back Andre Williams.

Winston also won the Davey O'Brien Award as the nation's best quarterback, beating out finalists Manziel and McCarron. Six of the last seven winners of the Davey O'Brien have gone on to win the Heisman Trophy.

Winston also is a finalist for the Maxwell Award as player of the year.

Winston has set FBS freshman records for yards passing (3,820) and touchdown passes (38), leading No. 1 Florida State (13-0) into the VIZIO BCS National Championship against No. 2 Auburn. His 190.6 passer efficiency rating is tops in the country and is on pace to set an NCAA record.

"When you have a team like that, anyone can go out there and do that," Winston said of the star-studded Seminoles.

Posted

Time for me to add fuel to a living post for once and add my :2cents: .   

 

Auburn's running game smoked one of the toughest run D's out there in Mizzou for just under 550 yds...impressive BUT they have also won multiple games because of plain and simple damn luck.  

 

FSU has a fantastic passing game but if Jocko's boyfriend :wub2: has a bad night they are in some serious trouble.  

 

It will come down to Auburns running attack vs FSU passing game.

 

My prediction FSU 42 Auburn 35 

Posted

I am so very proud of Jaboo. His hard work, dedication, and perseverance has been rewarded with the most prestigious award NCAAF has. His family and friends celibrate this accomplishment. I had the pleasure of watching this young man grow up and become a superb athlete. Say what you will about a man crush or whatever y'all wanna call it. I love Jaboo and his family. I sent his dad a text before the ceremony and he took the time to not only respond, but, while HIS son was in the national spotlight with millions of eyes on him, he told me how great MY kids are and how much his family loves mine. THAT'S CLASS.

I will be visiting them in the coming holidays, and will be sure to post a pic of myself with Jaboo and HIS Heisman trophy.

How many of you guys have coached players and seen them rise to the very top rung? Hate all ya want. I'm as proud as if he were my own son.

  • Like 2
Posted

Let me know when the big time SEC programs regularly start making trips to the North to play football games.  

 

 Let me know when B1G teams come down South in September.... That weather excuse is complete BS.

Posted

 

Let me know when the big time SEC programs regularly start making trips to the North to play football games.  

 

 Let me know when B1G teams come down South in September.... That weather excuse is complete BS.

 

 

It is...on BOTH sides. At the elite D1 level, this is a non-factor. Plenty of southern kids come to B1G schools and do perfectly fine and plenty of northern kids go down south and do perfectly fine. It's not like their genetics suddenly flip when they sign a particular letter of intent. Unless it's extreme, cold isn't all that big of a deal. Wind and rain are the biggies, and that happens everywhere.

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Let me know when the big time SEC programs regularly start making trips to the North to play football games.  

 

 Let me know when B1G teams come down South in September.... That weather excuse is complete BS.

 

 

It's tough fit on the schedule with all the FCS schools these SEC teams schedule.  I know, I know, they have to do it because the SEC is the NFL JV.   :ZZZ:

Posted

The fact of the matter is that OSU is not in the championship and Auburn is.  OSU had their chance to go to the championship and lost it and that's that. Should've, would've, could've.  Go win the Orange Bowl and move on to next year where you will have another shot.

  • Like 1
Posted

So this SEC, they play football? What else? :lol:

 

Pretty damn good baseball conference, I hear. But only because of the weather, I'm sure....... :sarcasm:

 The SEC has had at least one team in the World Series final each of the last six years, winning three of those.

 14 of the last 30 Men's Outdoor Track and Field Champions were from the SEC.

 The SEC has 16 of the 32 Women's Outdoor Track and field titles.

 11 Men's swimming and diving championships, since 1978.

 And 12 of 31 all-time Women's swimming and diving championships.

  And Kentucky has a little basketball history, too.

 

So, yeah, the SEC does more than just football.

  • Like 2
Posted

Missouri is a well known basketball school

SC has been tearing it up in Omaha

Alabama womens gymnastics has won umpteen titles

Vanderbilt has a very good baseball team and has produced premier MLB players (David Price comes to mind)

You cant get to Omaha without a trip to Baton Rouge

Bama softball.....nuff said there

Bama baseball, while not an elite team, has produced elite players (David Roberson, Yankees closer)

Shall I continue?

Posted

 

So this SEC, they play football? What else? :lol:

 

Pretty damn good baseball conference, I hear. But only because of the weather, I'm sure....... :sarcasm:

 The SEC has had at least one team in the World Series final each of the last six years, winning three of those.

 14 of the last 30 Men's Outdoor Track and Field Champions were from the SEC.

 The SEC has 16 of the 32 Women's Outdoor Track and field titles.

 11 Men's swimming and diving championships, since 1978.

 And 12 of 31 all-time Women's swimming and diving championships.

  And Kentucky has a little basketball history, too.

 

So, yeah, the SEC does more than just football.

 

Generally, most of the best outdoor sport athletes are from the South.  That gives a big recruiting advantage for schools in the South because the athletes are closer to them.  Not complaining, just a fact.

 

Conversely, most of the best indoor sport athletes (especially basketball) are from the North, so the recruiting advantage for the cold weather schools is huge.  

  • Like 1
Posted

Missouri is a well known basketball school

 

 

If by "well known" you mean for futility, then I agree:

 

ZERO Final 4's

ZERO Big 12 Regular Season Championships (which will continue in the SEC)

Tyus Edney

Norfolk State

Ricky Clemons

Quin Snyder

1994 tournament games vacated

 

Shall I go on?

  • Like 1
Posted

Missouri is a well known basketball school

 If by "well known" you mean for futility, then I agree: ZERO Final 4'sZERO Big 12 Regular Season Championships (which will continue in the SEC)Tyus EdneyNorfolk StateRicky ClemonsQuin Snyder1994 tournament games vacated Shall I go on?considering that I didnt know until recently why some fouls got free throws and some were non shooting fouls, Id say that Im no expert in basketball BY ANY MEANS. But Missouri is more known for baketball than football. And they had one HELL of a football season. So, continue if you wish. It's inconsequential to me. I was just alluding to the fact that the SEC is far more than just a football conference. YMMV
  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

Missouri is a well known basketball school

 If by "well known" you mean for futility, then I agree: ZERO Final 4'sZERO Big 12 Regular Season Championships (which will continue in the SEC)Tyus EdneyNorfolk StateRicky ClemonsQuin Snyder1994 tournament games vacated Shall I go on? considering that I didnt know until recently why some fouls got free throws and some were non shooting fouls, Id say that Im no expert in basketball BY ANY MEANS. But Missouri is more known for baketball than football. And they had one HELL of a football season. So, continue if you wish. It's inconsequential to me. I was just alluding to the fact that the SEC is far more than just a football conference. YMMV

 

 

They did have a hell of a football season.  Honestly, most MU fans would call themselves a football school first, but I suppose it depends on who you ask.  I'm a Kansas alum, so I just take any chance I can get to further demean the Tiggers.  Missouri does lead the nation in meth labs, so they have that going for them!  :wave:

Posted

 

 

Missouri does lead the nation in meth labs, so they have that going for them!  :wave:

 

 

I'm deeply insulted. :)

Posted

The SEC stands for: Still

                                 Engaged in

                                 Cheating.

  • Like 2
Posted

The SEC stands for: Still

                                 Engaged in

                                 Cheating.

The SEC stands for the South's Extremely Cocky! :lol:
Posted

Loved tonight's result.  So much for all the, "Bama is the best team" and the "SEC is invincible" talking points put forward by ESPN.
 

 

Hopefully FSU blows the doors off Auburn so everyone can realize that maybe the SEC is a tad overrated, at best.

×
×
  • Create New...