Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3586 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Can't wait to see The Ohio State University eat his lunch on January 6.

you were saying???

From those of us who are just a little bit older, COHUmp, this is why you wait till the end to talk.

this is why you at least do it in a draft so you can change it to Jan. 1

You guys need to understand the context.   :sarcasm: I still believe had OSU not laid an egg in the B1G championship that they would've beaten FSU.  Urban Meyer game planning for a month wouldn't have been fair. Unfortunately, we'll never know what would've happened.  But I can assure you that OSU would've won. :wave:

right. WOULD'VE won. If they outscored MSU in the conference championship, thsy would have indeed won. That game. But OSU had the brass ring on a silver platter and couldnt even beat MSU. Big dream. Coulda woulda shoulda. Didnt. Not hating on THE :sarcasm: Ohio State. But anyone can speculate. Gotta play the game. And i ASSURE you. FSU would have been favored by a large margin. And probably covered the spread.
  • Like 3

You guys need to understand the context.   :sarcasm:

I still believe had OSU not laid an egg in the B1G championship that they would've beaten FSU.  Urban Meyer game planning for a month wouldn't have been fair.

Unfortunately, we'll never know what would've happened.  But I can assure you that OSU would've won. :wave:

Dude...

Did you see our secondary all year? The LBs and S play is embarrassing. There are high school teams that could beat our safeties. It would have been...ugly.

• Like 1

Perhaps if OSU had played anyone that was ranked this season, people would have had a more realistic view of them. The one highly ranked team they played, defeated them. But, you still get to go to Miami and play against Clemson, so there's that, right ?

• Like 1

I was sure that OSU was going to come back and win that MSU game, so I set the DVR and went to bed. I couldn't stand to watch OSU get to play the national championship game without a SEC (the only real Divsion 1 in NCAAF) championship team in front of them. What nice surprise to wake up to the next morning.

OSU would have gotten smoked in the champ game, just like ND did last year. So now we might get a decent champ game. Do I hear that FSU is favored by 9.5 ??? Against the SEC champs ??? That's crazy

I still believe had OSU not laid an egg in the B1G championship that they would've beaten FSU.  Urban Meyer game planning for a month wouldn't have been fair.

Unfortunately, we'll never know what would've happened.  But I can assure you that OSU would've won. :wave:

There's no way they could have kept up with FSU. Big 10 football in general is just too slow to keep up with a team as quick as FSU. I highly doubt that OSU could beat most of the teams in the top 10 maybe even top 15. 

Dude...

Did you see our secondary all year? The LBs and S play is embarrassing. There are high school teams that could beat our safeties. It would have been...ugly.

I think a month off would've done wonders.  

Perhaps if OSU had played anyone that was ranked this season, people would have had a more realistic view of them. The one highly ranked team they played, defeated them. But, you still get to go to Miami and play against Clemson, so there's that, right ?

Wisconsin?

There's no way they could have kept up with FSU. Big 10 football in general is just too slow to keep up with a team as quick as FSU. I highly doubt that OSU could beat most of the teams in the top 10 maybe even top 15.

Vegas disagrees with you...by a large margin.  Let me emphasize, by a large margin!

I was sure that OSU was going to come back and win that MSU game, so I set the DVR and went to bed. I couldn't stand to watch OSU get to play the national championship game without a SEC (the only real Divsion 1 in NCAAF) championship team in front of them. What nice surprise to wake up to the next morning.

OSU would have gotten smoked in the champ game, just like ND did last year. So now we might get a decent champ game. Do I hear that FSU is favored by 9.5 ??? Against the SEC champs ??? That's crazy

OSU would be favored by a FG over Auburn, so I don't exactly know how FSU vs. OSU would be a bad championship game, but somehow FSU vs. Auburn will be a good football game.  

We are talking about a team equipped with a large majority of players that played on a team that went winless in the SEC last year.

Auburn will get smoked.

OSU would be favored by a FG over Auburn, so I don't exactly know how FSU vs. OSU would be a bad championship game, but somehow FSU vs. Auburn will be a good football game.  

We are talking about a team equipped with a large majority of players that played on a team that went winless in the SEC last year.

Auburn will get smoked.

What Vegas favors isn't a good reference for how good a team is or how good a match up will be. Vegas had Baylor beating OK State and OK State blew them out. Vegas also had OU down to OK State by a large margin and OU beat OK State. Vegas also had a pretty large point spread on the OSU Michigan game and that wasn't exactly a blow out was it? Also had OSU beating MI State by a touchdown if I remember correctly. My point is that just because Vegas favors one team by a certain number of points doesn't indicate how good he team actually is or how good of a game two teams would play against each other. Also worth noting how incredibly bad the Big 10 is as a whole when compared against the SEC, PAC 12, and even the Big 12 who had an awful year compared to previous years. 

Auburn will get smoked.

What Vegas favors isn't a good reference for how good a team is or how good a match up will be. Vegas had Baylor beating OK State and OK State blew them out. Vegas also had OU down to OK State by a large margin and OU beat OK State. Vegas also had a pretty large point spread on the OSU Michigan game and that wasn't exactly a blow out was it? Also had OSU beating MI State by a touchdown if I remember correctly. My point is that just because Vegas favors one team by a certain number of points doesn't indicate how good he team actually is or how good of a game two teams would play against each other. Also worth noting how incredibly bad the Big 10 is as a whole when compared against the SEC, PAC 12, and even the Big 12 who had an awful year compared to previous years. 

Now the back half of that is just garbage. If the facts matter - and perhaps they don't - but if they do, the record is far more mixed than the hyperbole constantly spouted by the Booyah Network and most pundits. Let's look at data from the start of the BCS era (not incl this past year since this is from last fall), it's VERY mixed:

SEC vs. PAC-12 regular season: 10-12

SEC vs. PAC-12 bowl games: 1-0

SEC vs. Big 12 regular season: 6-10

SEC vs. Big 12 bowl games: 21-8

SEC vs. ACC regular season: 42-36

SEC vs. ACC bowl games: 16-9

SEC vs. Big 10 regular season: 7-4

SEC vs. Big 10 bowl games: 19-19

SEC vs. Big East regular season: 16-15

SEC vs. Big East bowl game: 3-8

This season, what little actual data we have is also mixed. AL was ok vs a bad VT team but not great. LSU was pretty meh vs TCU. Arkansas got beat by Rutgers (!), Tennessee got housed by Oregon, Florida - yea, getting beat by an FCS school, etc. Now the top of the SEC? Sure they've been great. But they're considered great often because they beat other SEC teams who are considered great so the self-fulfilling prophecy just keeps on going.

Has the Big Ten lost OOC games as well? Of course. UCLA killed Nebraska, Wisc got beat by ASU. Both Pac12 teams that ended up pretty darned good - and Wisc's loss was one of the most controversial of the year due to officiating issues to a team that ended up in the conf championship game.

The SEC has had the best team for awhile (though even that's a bit trumped as well) but the conf as a whole is a little bit better, not hyperbolically SEC Uber Alles better as a lot of pundits think. The SEC east in particular is a bunch of hot garbage outside of Mizzou and South Car.

And speaking of a Mizzou (as well as A&M)..two good to average Big 12 teams just waltz into the SEC and within two years, one beats Alabama and the other goes to the conf championship game? Hmm....

• Like 1

You can't really argue against SEC domination with OOC games (FSU beat the last place SEC-E team...BFD) and bowl games . If the bowl game isn't for the national championship, then its just a vacation/exhibition game. Next year NCCAF Div1 will go to a 4-team playoff format. Over the last 8 years, this is the SEC's contribution to the national top-4 rankings: 

2013 - 2 teams          2009 - 2 teams

2012 - 1 teams          2008 - 1 teams

2011 - 2 teams          2007 - 2 teams

2010 - 1 teams          2006 - 2 teams

So its not just one SEC team dominating. The last 7 natioanal championships have been won by 4 different SEC schools. This year is best chance to de-throne the SEC with a team that got 2 lucky wins. Their win against Georgia was even more bizzare than the Alabama win. I'm looking forward to this game.

I'm just a casual college football spectator, but when I turn on a SEC game, it just seems to be a faster pace/more athletic event. Much more enjoyable to watch. YMMV

So we're only going to pick the most advantageous data points? If the assertion is that a certain group is dominant, does it make more sense to choose the largest data set of that group's performance against other groups or only the performance of a handful of that group?

And let's look just a little deeper at that. If there's a measure more easily manipulated than CFB poll rankings, I'm not sure what it would be. It's HIGHLY dependent on pre-season rankings - so the SEC self-perpetuation machine keeps on going. Why is that the SEC won about 10% of national championships before the BCS but 55% of them after? Is it because this long-standing group somehow magically became so much better in 1998 than the rest? Doubt it. The # of NFL players compared to other conferences didn't change all that much. The overall OOC and bowl records as we've seen is no great shakes - and that's WITH the advantage of nearly all bowl games being glorified home games. What is it about this contrived system (created by a former SEC commissioner, of course) that seems to favor them so and create this everlasting meme?

Preseason rankings frame the entire debate and make it virtually impossible to climb unless those ahead of you lose. So with SEC teams starting off with 3 or 4 in the top 5, they start the race on 2nd base. Indeed, many of the power brokers have a direct financial investment in the success of the SEC. This isn't tinfoil conspiracy stuff - ESPN invested $2.25 BB (that's billion with a big B) in the SEC Network alone. CBS is a direct partner. ESPN is notorious for highly promoting the products on their network and giving short thrift to others (ever see many NHL highlights on Sportscenter? Their NBA coverage did something like double the air time when they got the NBA deal).

So the meme goes on. Lower ranked SEC teams (Auburn 2010) get an inordinate boost by beating other SEC teams. Other teams are crippled by losses but not SEC teams.  They never have to leave their own protective cocoon to get the benefit of the doubt and it just keeps perpetuating, despite the larger sample size of results. SEC losses are discounted because, after all, they lost to other SEC teams.

Witness 2011...#3 Oregon was beaten by then-#4 LSU in Dallas and dropped TEN spots in the polls. Oregon was essentially eliminated from nat champ consideration. #2 Alabama was later beaten by #1 LSU AT HOME and dropped...all the way to #3. One freakin' spot. Lo and behold, what does the BCS give us for a national champ game? Alabama LSU II Electric Bugaloo....ensuring an SEC winner no matter what.

I'm not saying the SEC sucks - it's the best conference right now, but not by much. The P12 this year except for the very team top - and I'm not completely sure about that - is close and the rest aren't as far behind as the Booyahs make it out to be. And I won't even get into the healthy (not the main reason by any means but significant) amount of sheer luck involved in that SEC streak even at the champ game level. But let's not elevate them into Triple AAA NFL on shallow analysis when the facts say otherwise.

• Like 1

Auburn will get smoked.

FSU gave up 149 yards to BC's RB Williams. Boston College ! Auburn has a better running game than BC, overall. IF Auburn can slow down the passing game, they have a damn good chance to win it.