Plate work for criticism/evaluation.

JDavis225
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3942 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Your stance is different for a right handed batter then a left handed batter.. When you have a lefty you are square to the pitcher. When you have a righty you are looking at an angle through the zone.

• Like 1

Looked good! I thought your mechanics were crisp and sharp and I LOVED that when the catcher got hit and you walked out to the pitcher to give him an extra second. Not enough guys do that. Your timing looked good but I did notice on pitches that were low you had a little head dip. Also on right handed batters your feet were very offset, not on left handed batters. And it may have been a function of the camera angle but it looked like you were not in the slot, looked like you were more on the point. All in all, I liked it and kudos on posting the vid, it takes guts to open up like that!

Good mechanics. But didn't like the looking to the side on called strikes. Towards the beginning with R1 the batter hit a ground ball to the infield but you took off towards 3rd instead of watching for pulled foot or overthrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! As you all said, I noticed my shoulders are not squared to the pitchers on RH batters. I was told that by one of my evaluators as well. I haven't ever seen myself on camera until now and now I know exactly what I need to work on. I'm still a work in progress! Got a long ways to go before I work my way up to the level of some of you guys. 

Good mechanics. But didn't like the looking to the side on called strikes. Towards the beginning with R1 the batter hit a ground ball to the infield but you took off towards 3rd instead of watching for pulled foot or overthrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Overthrow to 2nd base and ball goes into the outfield. Who has play at third? I don't remember being corrected on that but if I AM wrong. Tell me please. I'm new to 3 man mechanics. That was also my second day working 3 man in 35 minute sessions. I've yet to invest in the CCA manual. 

Overthrow to 2nd base and ball goes into the outfield. Who has play at third? I don't remember being corrected on that but if I AM wrong. Tell me please. I'm new to 3 man mechanics. That was also my second day working 3 man in 35 minute sessions. I've yet to invest in the CCA manual. 

Some areas treat it that if the BATTED ball goes into the outfield that you will rotate so here you would not.  Others treat it that if even the thrown ball does that you rotate, so here you would rotate.  You naeed to clarify that.

I prefer the former.  You aren't moving on the grounder so when the ball is overthrown you and the runner both have about 90' to go to get to third and the runner will win that race most of the time (note that I didnt watch the video to see the ages etc.).   Treat this as a slide or reverse rotation play with PU staying home, U1 taking BR into second and U3 taking R1 to third.  But you all have to be yelling at each other when the play breaks down.

Some areas treat it that if the BATTED ball goes into the outfield that you will rotate so here you would not.  Others treat it that if even the thrown ball does that you rotate, so here you would rotate.  You naeed to clarify that.

I prefer the former.  You aren't moving on the grounder so when the ball is overthrown you and the runner both have about 90' to go to get to third and the runner will win that race most of the time (note that I didnt watch the video to see the ages etc.).   Treat this as a slide or reverse rotation play with PU staying home, U1 taking BR into second and U3 taking R1 to third.  But you all have to be yelling at each other when the play breaks down.

I was taught as soon as the ball hits, shadow R1 until the out is made at 2B. The age was 16-17 and although I CAN beat most of those runners 90', other guys can't so the uniform way is to be headed that way as soon as the ball is hit. 

Overthrow to 2nd base and ball goes into the outfield. Who has play at third? I don't remember being corrected on that but if I AM wrong. Tell me please. I'm new to 3 man mechanics. That was also my second day working 3 man in 35 minute sessions. I've yet to invest in the CCA manual. Some areas treat it that if the BATTED ball goes into the outfield that you will rotate so here you would not. Others treat it that if even the thrown ball does that you rotate, so here you would rotate. You naeed to clarify that. I prefer the former. You aren't moving on the grounder so when the ball is overthrown you and the runner both have about 90' to go to get to third and the runner will win that race most of the time (note that I didnt watch the video to see the ages etc.). Treat this as a slide or reverse rotation play with PU staying home, U1 taking BR into second and U3 taking R1 to third. But you all have to be yelling at each other when the play breaks down. I was taught as soon as the ball hits, shadow R1 until the out is made at 2B. The age was 16-17 and although I CAN beat most of those runners 90', other guys can't so the uniform way is to be headed that way as soon as the ball is hit. Then who is watching the pulled foot and overthrows. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Overall, excellent work Jordan!   Couple of upgrades though. It looks like you are working the gerry davis, and it has been mentioned that with RH batters you need to square up your feet. Also, you might be a bit too close to the catcher.

As far as covering third, the basic rule is on "extra base hits" to the outfield, you would rotate up to third. For some reason, umpires used to working the 60' field like to rotate on any ball that goes into the outfield, which doesn't make much sense. Most BU's can make it to 3rd from the working area.

I was taught as soon as the ball hits, shadow R1 until the out is made at 2B. The age was 16-17 and although I CAN beat most of those runners 90', other guys can't so the uniform way is to be headed that way as soon as the ball is hit. 

If there is only R1, you need to trail the BR up the line for the pulled foot/swipe tag/INT/overthrow possibility.  U3 will take R1 into third if there is an overthrow at second base or anywhere else.  Shadowing R1 is for 2-man when you might have to take him into third.

Overall, excellent work Jordan!   Couple of upgrades though. It looks like you are working the gerry davis, and it has been mentioned that with RH batters you need to square up your feet. Also, you might be a bit too close to the catcher.

As far as covering third, the basic rule is on "extra base hits" to the outfield, you would rotate up to third. For some reason, umpires used to working the 60' field like to rotate on any ball that goes into the outfield, which doesn't make much sense. Most BU's can make it to 3rd from the working area.

In 3-man at the college level I go further than in 2-man because you have no responsibility for the plate once the ball is hit to the outfield with R1.  If you end up rotating, you are going to stay at third (This is assuming no one goes out on the ball).  If you watch the pro guys work 3-man, the plate guy will go almost all the way to third base every time the ball is hit to the outfield with R1.  

Correct, in 3 man, any ball hit to the outfield in this situation, PU rotates up to 3rd. U1 would then rotate home after the BR touches first.  This rotation does not occur on thrown balls that go into the outfield.

Correct, in 3 man, any ball hit to the outfield in this situation, PU rotates up to 3rd. U1 would then rotate home after the BR touches first.  This rotation does not occur on thrown balls that go into the outfield.

U1 doesn't rotate home until R1 commits to third base.

Excellent overall.  I noticed the angle on RH batters vs. LH, but if it works for you, great.  I didn't really notice head movement on low pitches, other than following them all the way on. 

Why did you not inspect the ball that went off the catcher's mask?  You threw a new ball in, but let the catcher throw the foul ball back in without inspection.

That's all I got

Excellent overall.  I noticed the angle on RH batters vs. LH, but if it works for you, great.  I didn't really notice head movement on low pitches, other than following them all the way on. 

Why did you not inspect the ball that went off the catcher's mask?  You threw a new ball in, but let the catcher throw the foul ball back in without inspection.

That's all I got

Being nervous and overthinking. As soon as I let him throw it back to the pitcher, I realized that I had not taken it to check it. By then I didn't want to ask for it back and delay the game and also draw attention to it. 

Appearance is very good.

Mechanics are very good, timing is excellent.

If you are going to work the Davis stance, you need to square up, you should be an arm's length away from the catcher.

Overall, very good.

CCA doesnt cover this, but this is not a rotation on a overthrow.

I will preface this by saying that I am about to be very very nitpicky on this brief eval….. From initially watching the video, it looks like you can umpire. The things that I will evaluate you on primarily go toward your overall “polish†By polish I mean the things that will separate you from looking “amateurishâ€. I will try not to harp on things that others have mentioned but will point them out as needed.

General assessment

Appearance:

• Looks good in uniform
  • Looks athletic
  • Moves well on the field

Plate Mechanics

• Overall mechanics look good. A couple points of interest…
  • Plate stance: Nice and stable as pitch comes in. Over exaggerated heel toe stance on right hand batters. This causes shoulders to be square to 2nd base. Opens up the possibility for injury due to unprotected areas exposed to foul balls and wild pitches. Left hand batter stance much better. Could get slot foot more into slot. Be careful not to become inverted heel toe stance.
  • When dropping into your plate stance, try not to “ease†into your set position. You should strive to have a distinct setting motion as you lock. Over time the easing into the set could cause you to continue moving as you track the pitch.
  • Called strike mechanic- try to make your called strike mechanic more crisp. You kind of leisurely extend your arm. A leisurely given strike mechanic gives the impression of indecision.
  • Good strike three mechanic. Be careful using this with less than two outs, as it takes your vision away from the field. May want to consider stepping straight back.
  • Try not to be so quick to give the count. Wait until the catcher is out of the way (Not standing) and give the count crisp and firmly

Field Presence:

• Cut down on extra body movement during relaxed action
  • Cut down continuously tugging on your chest protector. During your 8min video you adjusted your CP 30 times. This gives the impression that you are nervous or uncomfortable.
  • Consider altering your “between pitch†stance. No issues with arms at your waist, however instead of dropping your right foot back, bring feet side-by-side shoulder width apart. The way you currently stand it gives the impression that you are impatient.

General Comments:

@7:19 you had a batted ball near home plate with a possible FF decision. You stayed in your plate stance with mask on after the ball was batted. You need to get mask off quickly and take 1BLEX or 3BLEX as the play dictates to render the FF decision.

• Like 1

What was the waving at the beginning? I assume it was to stop the pitcher from trying to pitch without the batter set. Simply step out, then nothing will happen. You do fidget your CP a lot but I don't see a problem with checking it's position right before the pitch. The last thing I want is a collarbone shot because my CP moved.